still got wind (noise) problems

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

still got wind (noise) problems

Post by burmagirl »

some suggestions please -

I treated my rubber seals with autoglym vinyl & rubber care & then with Gummipflege in an effort to get rid of increasing wind noise. Didn't improve matters so last week the garage put new rear seals on the hood. It's helped a bit but is still very noisy especially when you get up speed :puzzle: . I don't know what to do next - help!

burmagirl
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Hi Sue,

I know it doesn't help your problem but after removing the Hardtop from my car the wind noise is noticeable from my window also :(

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Hi Sue,

There will always be wind noise in the Z3 and if you've just removed the hardtop it will certainly be pronounced.

Don't worry, you wwill get used to it. Or, turn up the stereo.

Best

C
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

do you have to make any adjustments to the soft top before you put the hard top on, or when you take it off, Gary?

You don't think it's just that you're not used to the noise anymore, do you?!

I know it doesn't have to be like this - the 1.9 was really quiet. I thought the garage had adjusted the hood somehow as they fixed the leaks it had when I first got it (although strangely even then it wasn't as noisy inside as this one is) but actually they'd put new seals on. It didn't have a roof lining either.

sorry in advance if this comes through more than once!!!
Sue
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Put the roof down - it sounds much better! :D

I have just taken my hardtop off too, and I can hear a lot more wind noise. I don't think there is anything untoward, but it is quite a contrast from the silence I've been used to.

I doubt gummi-pflege will cure these things, but regular applications should keep your rubber soft and supple so that the seals don't deform over time.

Need to keep my eye on the passenger window as I had a good go at drowning my wife at the jetwash the other day. Never a good idea to point the lance at the edge of the glass! Oops! :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Hi Conor

no, I haven't removed a hard top! it's coming in around the seal between the window & the hood, especially around the back of the windows. I wonder if they need to raise the doors a bit.

The other thing I've noticed - I don't get that clunk you mentioned when I raise & lower the windows, Gary - but when I get out of the car & shut my door when the roof's down, the window seems to flex about a lot (no, I don't slam it!!!). Again, the 1.9 wasn't like that. I wonder if I ought to take the door cards off & see if something's loose.

Sue
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

burmagirl wrote:do you have to make any adjustments to the soft top before you put the hard top on, or when you take it off, Gary?

I didn't make any adjustments at all

You don't think it's just that you're not used to the noise anymore, do you?!

I think that is my problem , still Summer is on the way and then you wont notice it

Sue
Gazza
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Robert T wrote:Put the roof down - it sounds much better! :D

I have just taken my hardtop off too, and I can hear a lot more wind noise. I don't think there is anything untoward, but it is quite a contrast from the silence I've been used to.

I doubt gummi-pflege will cure these things, but regular applications should keep your rubber soft and supple so that the seals don't deform over time.
Cheers R.
I do have it down whenever I can!!! The old rear seals were significantly harder than the others, so the mechanic thought that would cure the noise.

Sue
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Just thank your lucky stars you dont have a MG-TF, if you think a Zed is noisy!?

Like Gaz says, I would try not to worry. Do you have a problem with it leaking?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I was looking carefully at the arrangement of the seals when I was re-proofing my roof yesterday. The backmost seal looks pretty reliable as it is fixed in place, but the centre two sections (above the door) fold away from the canvas. What state are yours in and is there any gappage above the seals as well as below?

I also noticed that there is a bit of wear on the ends of some of my seals. Looks like the last quarter-inch must rub against something. Doesn't look serious, but it is something to keep an eye on.

The glass does flex a bit, and if the seals at the front push the glass out, it could make the back seal not quite tight. I don't know how you would fix this, other than to make sure the front seals are fitted right, or to pack the back seal out a bit. I believe there is some adjustment on the windows, but I'm not sure what adjusts. It may help to re-teach the car where the up position is - I've seen that mentioned somewhere on here when someone's one touch close wasn't working.

As to your questions about the hardtop - you adjust the rear hardtop mountings to make it fit - it then sits exactly the same as the softtop. There really isn't anything to do once is been adjust - you can just pop it on and off at will.

Cheers R.
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by trickyb »

Robert T wrote:... I had a good go at drowning my wife at the jetwash the other day. Never a good idea to point the lance at the edge of the glass! Oops! :lol:
Are you telling me you don't make her get out and wash it, Rob?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

trickyb wrote:Are you telling me you don't make her get out and wash it, Rob?
Nope, I think she would be dangerous with the lance. :roll:

She does help with the waxing, and she get a good shine my gearknob last weekend! :D

Cheers R
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Robert T wrote:I was looking carefully at the arrangement of the seals when I was re-proofing my roof yesterday. The backmost seal looks pretty reliable as it is fixed in place, but the centre two sections (above the door) fold away from the canvas. What state are yours in and is there any gappage above the seals as well as below?

I also noticed that there is a bit of wear on the ends of some of my seals. Looks like the last quarter-inch must rub against something. Doesn't look serious, but it is something to keep an eye on.

The glass does flex a bit, and if the seals at the front push the glass out, it could make the back seal not quite tight. I don't know how you would fix this, other than to make sure the front seals are fitted right, or to pack the back seal out a bit. I believe there is some adjustment on the windows, but I'm not sure what adjusts. It may help to re-teach the car where the up position is - I've seen that mentioned somewhere on here when someone's one touch close wasn't working.

Cheers R.
It was the rear seals - they didn't seem worn but they were very hard where the ones further forward weren't. BMW seem to suggest a) using washers as spacers between the seal & the roof & b) raising the door.

How do you re-teach it where the up position is?

Sue
stover

blank.gif

Post by stover »

Its a soft top, your always gonna get some wind noise.

My wife says ours is noisy, so I just turn the Cd up, I can't hear her then :)
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

stover wrote:Its a soft top, your always gonna get some wind noise.

My wife says ours is noisy, so I just turn the Cd up, I can't hear her then :)
:roflmao: :roflmao:

seriously though, it's much worse than it was on the 1.9 (no,it's not 'cos I'm going faster! :wink: ) & it is a 'wind coming through a gap' noise. If I hadn 't had previous experience I'd just assume that's how they always are - as it is, I think the windows & seals aren't fitting together properly.

burmagirl
stover

blank.gif

Post by stover »

If you don't know where the noise is?

Get some 2" masking tape & tape areas one at a time & road test to see if improved.

Try not to mask roof as it may mark it.

Stover