Any advice for a track day novice?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Any advice for a track day novice?

Post by Chrislong »

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/track ... uctID=3289

Check this link out. I am very tempted to take my Z3 round and pop my track cherry!

Any advice? tips? or any reasons why I shouldn't?

My car is pretty standard, except for chip, and the tyres are cheapo's on there last few months - so I don't mind abusing them.

Chris
No longer a Zed owner.... been there, done it, disliked it. (sorry)
JontyP

M roadster S54

Post by JontyP »

The only advice I can give is based on bike track day experience.

1. Avoid the very first session. Everyone is a bit pumped full of adrenaline and likely to get carried away.
2. Take your time to learn the lines. You will get plenty of time so there is no rush.
3. Build your speed up gradually.
4. Avoid the last session coz you'll be knackered by then and more likely to make a mistake.
5. Enjoy it, there really is nowt like it.

Jonty
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

My first session was with tuition, so I learned the best lines there and also where to brake etc.

Well worth it
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

No reasons why you shouldn't. Go and enjoy it. :D
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Don't be bullied by the more experienced drivers, thats what they did to me.

Just hold the racing line in the corners and then pull over to let them pass when you are on the straight

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

Thanks guys.
I am looking forward to this already. My friend who is bringing his Nissan 200SX is recommending I only do half day, he reckons we'll go through too much fuel to do a full day.

I am enthusiastic to do a full day really, but if I can beleive there is a good reason not to, don't mind half.

If doing half, am or pm??

Chris
Straight_Six

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Straight_Six »

very good post chris!

i too was thinking about going on a track day as Oulton Park is about 10 minutes from me :D, would be more than ideal to go there....that is if they do track days?!

would anybody else be up for a trackday at oulton? i know robertT is local and so is jontyP, not sure if any1 else here is in the region of cheshire?!

*EDIT* didnt click on your link chris! it is infact oulton park you are reffering too! hehehe :lol:

Lee
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Chris, get some tuition first. It's great fun and you will learn loads. I did some in a TT before doing some single seater driving. It was really good. I'd definitely do some more before tracking my own.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Chris, assuming the day is well organised, they'll be a decent briefing session at the start. There might even be some track time set aside at the start specifically for first timers.

I think the key is don't panic, stay calm and take your time. Keep an eye on your mirrors and build up slowly.

NEVER stay out for 'just one more lap'. As soon as you start saying or thinking that come in, even if your session hasn't finished.

Aside from that, just enjoy. There will be no one coming the other way, no speed cameras and no idiots waiting to turn left without indicating. That in itself makes it a safer and more enjoyable experience than your daily commute to work :P
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

I know TrickyB is local too, and im sure there are more who'd travel? It'd be good to see you guys there. Its a Tuesday so im hoping it isn't going to be hectic, and may attract the more sensible of people (and me too)

The breifing in the morning swings me towards AM, if only doing half a day. I am still enthusiastic to go for the full day and space out the runs. Tuition would be an almost certainty.

My only fear is getting the bug to do more of them, once I have done one. :wink:

Chris
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What Giles says is true, as demonstrated by some plonker on the day I went on - he was fine whilst he had someone in the car with him, but on his first lap out in the single seater he lost it and went agricultural, covering the track in muck. Ruined the next few laps for all of us as we had to go slow whilst they recovered his car.

Driving a track is quite different to how you normally drive on the road. You brake differently and much harder and you don't want to be braking whilst turning in, or round you'll go. The tutors at Oulton are very good (that's where I did my day), so I'd recommend them.

I not too sure about tracking my own car, but I could possibly come along and spectate.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

I am hearing that Donnington is a better track for the first outing. It has better run offs and is less challenging than Oulton Park (so less chance of getting it wrong, and less damage done when we do). Plus it is considerably cheaper for a full day than Oulton.

Choice I have is 4th May at Donnington, or 1st May at Oulton.

What would you guys do? I can't do both.
JontyP

M roadster S54

Post by JontyP »

I'd choose Oulton everytime. I've never tracked a car of my own but I have done bikes at both circuits and Oulton is better by far. IMHO Donnington is dull as ditch-water. Craner is the only decent bit. Oulton is beautiful. Having said all that, perhaps that is why Oulton is perceived as being more difficult.

Jonty
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Hahahaha!

That's got to be a fake of some sort - he was so much quicker than the rest of the cars, it wasnt even a contest!

Also I bet that yellow car didnt think too kindly to his manoeuvre!!

:D
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I've been to most circuits in the UK and I'd say Oulton Park is probably one of the more difficult circuits and very very slippery in the wet, particularly at Druids at the back which is like driving on ice unless it's completely dry. But it also one of the best! I wouldn't say Donington is dull, but it easier to learn.

I would say DO go out on the first session, most trackday organisers now ask that the first session is an acclimitising session and ask everyone to go steady to learn the track. There is little point going out in the 2nd session IMO when everyone is going faster and you haven't a clue where the circuit goes (there's probably 3 times the amount of corners at Oulton than Doington for example).

If your brakes are standard don't expect them to last if you're start getting quicker, some better pads would be a cheap/quick improvement.

Let me know if you do book it and I might come and spectate/meet up.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

As good as Dingle Dell on Brands? Love that chicane!! Cant beat that in a Caterham Superlight
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

For the sake of a set of pads, I'll upgrade before I go, and refresh the fluids too.

I'll know for sure later today what, which, when im going. So, yeh, be good to meet up with some more guys from here too. I'll bring camera!
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Me and Dan both did Croft last year and really enjoyed it. Check out my other thread here at the time which also has a good link of what to expect as a first timer...

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ight=track
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
JontyP

M roadster S54

Post by JontyP »

C_W wrote "I would say DO go out on the first session, most trackday organisers now ask that the first session is an acclimitising session and ask everyone to go steady to learn the track."
It's a fair point. I was only going from my first bike track day when more people went off in the first session (and the organisers had asked for calm and even led the way round) than the whole rest of the day :roll: .

Jonty
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

What about insurance? Do I pay for additional cover, do I go un-insured?
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

smartypants wrote:Hahahaha!

That's got to be a fake of some sort - he was so much quicker than the rest of the cars, it wasnt even a contest!

A good start helped! Also he was no quicker on the straights so I reckon the car was evenly matched. Being a lot braver under braking helped him take the last 5 places.

And the yellow car? Well as they say "that's just racing" :D
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by trickyb »

Chris,

It's well worth asking the 'professional' to show you around the track and gice you some pointers (that's if the organisers have an experienced driver there)

Also, it's usually possible to identify the idiots at the briefing as they don't pay any attention. THey'll then go onto the track and cause chaos. At our track day, a group turned up in an old 5 series estate and spent all day trying to take it sideways around the first corner (anglesey track), putting mud all over the second corner.

The organisers warned them after a couple of hours (too late) and them sent them home early (about 30mins before the end). It really spoiled it.

Everyone tried to avoid them, so they almost had the track to themselves at one point. W*nk*rs. :roll:

Richard
I spent most of my money on whisky, women and Z3's. The rest I just wasted.

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

estocks wrote:
smartypants wrote:Hahahaha!

A good start helped! Also he was no quicker on the straights so I reckon the car was evenly matched. Being a lot braver under braking helped him take the last 5 places.

And the yellow car? Well as they say "that's just racing" :D
He caught up that last blue car far too quickly IMO, in a race where all of the cars are stock.

But anyway, it was great to watch - it was like playing a computer game :D
benelvin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by benelvin »

Chrislong wrote:What about insurance? Do I pay for additional cover, do I go un-insured?
I'd pay for cover. But then I've never been to a track day so don't listen to me!

I'm justing thinking - £10,000 + high risk situation = bad move.

I'm guessing you don't get cover from normal insurance because lots of people smash up their cars at track days!
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

..the excess is usually ridiculous though, >£2K generally. I didn't bother personally, but Dan did.

You are right in that virtually all insurers specifically exclude track days now in their standard policy wording.
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

go for it

Post by bmwstuff »

Just go for it, its such a blast and its addictive too!
I used these folks for insurance each time:
http://www.competition-car-insurance.co ... ductsa.htm
Yes the excess is expensive but its piece of mind. Agree most insurers stipulate no track or racing.
Best advice is to either get a mate who knows the race lines or pay 20squid and get an instructor to show you the basics braking, turn points etc.
Don't forget croft coming up again!
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ht=#110855
________
THE CIGAR BOSS
Last edited by bmwstuff on Sun 06 Mar, 2011 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

After some browsing, and video watching, I am beginning to think this isn't for me since I do have a lot (too much?) respect for my Z3 to risk it atall.

If I can get to go, and hire a car, I may like it and if thats the case - id like to buy a cheap car thats had its day, solid enough to track and good enough to work on and maintain for that purpose.

Chris
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Chrislong wrote:After some browsing, and video watching, I am beginning to think this isn't for me since I do have a lot (too much?) respect for my Z3 to risk it atall.

If I can get to go, and hire a car, I may like it and if thats the case - id like to buy a cheap car thats had its day, solid enough to track and good enough to work on and maintain for that purpose.

Chris
Right move IMO..... go buy a caterham or westfield... best track car NO QUESTION. Cheap to buy, run build and maintain - and you'll have a blast doing it!!
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

NO QUESTION is a bit strong in hindsight :D

But best option bang for bucks.... also what about having a look at some cheap racing series? I have almost been tempted many times to do this!
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

A cheap racing series would be ideal! I was considering the Mighty Mini series when I was into Mini's, but not now, would need to look into it and see.

Trackdays are all well and good to do once or twice, but they are none-competitive and everyone who knows me will know im ultra competitive so would get bored easily.

Chris
JontyP

M roadster S54

Post by JontyP »

I can see what you're saying, but in reality there is no such thing as cheap racing. There are "cheaper" forms of racing but they ALL take up any spare cash and time I'm afraid. As somone once said "the only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one".

Jonty
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

JontyP wrote:I can see what you're saying, but in reality there is no such thing as cheap racing. There are "cheaper" forms of racing but they ALL take up any spare cash and time I'm afraid. As somone once said "the only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one".

Jonty
Yeah, big money involved in it. Would be great fun though.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

JontyP wrote:I can see what you're saying, but in reality there is no such thing as cheap racing. There are "cheaper" forms of racing but they ALL take up any spare cash and time I'm afraid. As somone once said "the only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one".

Jonty
"Cheap" is relative. Depends what one can afford of course. Its not for everybody... its worth persuing,

Caterham or Westfield forget which, used to do a package for 15k that would get you a brand new road going Caterham, plus race licence, and 3 races in a series for a year. And yes you keep the car. Ok that is a lot of money, but you can recoup a lot of that from the sale of teh car if you wish... and its a good way to "test the water" in a very very competive series.
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

hi

Post by bmwstuff »

Chrislong wrote:After some browsing, and video watching, I am beginning to think this isn't for me since I do have a lot (too much?) respect for my Z3 to risk it atall.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Don't worry about it, you can go the pace you want. What else would you use a sportscar for? My advice would be to go along to any of the trackdays and observe and see what happens. Then make up your mind, unless we can pull off a zroadster.net trackday meet, with friendly zeds?

Good luck either way.
Dan
________
The cigar boss
Last edited by bmwstuff on Sun 06 Mar, 2011 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Now that would be quite something - I think everybody would feel a lot more comfortable if it was zroadster guys only. I wonder how many people we would need :?:
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

SpunkyM wrote:Now that would be quite something - I think everybody would feel a lot more comfortable if it was zroadster guys only. I wonder how many people we would need :?:
Chris, Spunky.... excellent idea...........
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

Ooooh, now then, that would be quite something...

If we could include in this Zed 1, 3, 4 and 8's, then get a list to register interest... I would be certainly very keen to participate, I hope others would be too!

Dan, if you don't mind ringing Oulton Park and finiding out just how many car's we'd need to enter to pull it off, then we can go ahead with a new thread and get this function rolling! "yay" :D
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

It might be better approaching a Track Day Organiser rather than the circuit itself?l
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Chrislong wrote:Dan, if you don't mind ringing Oulton Park and finiding out just how many car's we'd need to enter to pull it off, then we can go ahead with a new thread and get this function rolling! "yay" :D
Prepare to fall off your seat - I asked Brands Hatch the same question - and got pricing for the whole group - cheapest is midweek in November - but it's still a sum and a half
Chrislong

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Chrislong »

I'll sellotape myself to my seat, go on, tell us, is it totally unfeasable?
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Well Oulton Park is about 1/2 the price of Brands Hatch ...

And I just checked the price list ... these are for a weekend in June

Full circuit is £13000 plus there is a limit of 35 cars on track - which ideally means you run sessions - assuming two sessions in an hour - that is about £190 each person ...

Brands Hatch is in the region of £27000 for the same time - but has a limit of 25 on track- assuming two sessions in an hour - that is about £540 each person ...

These are also VAT exclusive - and the organiser(s) are recommended to half public liability insurance as well

Of course you could run it open pit lane or have more than two sessions per hours
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

expensive

Post by bmwstuff »

Chrislong wrote:Ooooh, now then, that would be quite something...

If we could include in this Zed 1, 3, 4 and 8's, then get a list to register interest... I would be certainly very keen to participate, I hope others would be too!

Dan, if you don't mind ringing Oulton Park and finiding out just how many car's we'd need to enter to pull it off, then we can go ahead with a new thread and get this function rolling! "yay" :D
Hi Chris,

Would love to ring oulton but would be a bit far for me, croft is my home track and could enquire but i think it aint gonna be cheap as DavidM says as you got pay for marshals as well as track time.
Easiest way would be for a group of us to book up and go, eg croft full day is about ?175 so if there was enough of us we could book the full novice sessions leaving majority of zeds. At the moment in croft there is only me and a friendly mx5 who always goes. Maybe we can fill the slots up?

Dan
________
Piero ferrari history