how fast am I?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
marco

Z3 roadster 2.0

how fast am I?

Post by marco »

anybody know the 0-60mph time for a 2000 model 2.0 ? my mate is sure his new Suzuki Swift GTi is faster - but that can't be right. I have of course told him I don't care if it is faster it's still not as good as my z...but I'd still like to know....cheers
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by trickyb »

Marco,

According to figures i saw (admittedly, some time ago) it's about 7.7 secs on a good run.
I spent most of my money on whisky, women and Z3's. The rest I just wasted.

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Hi Marco,
According to Parkers it's 8.6 seconds or 9.6 for an auto.

Funny enough if your friend has the Suzuki Swift 1.6 VVT then its neck and neck 8.6 :lol:
bigfut

M roadster S50

Post by bigfut »

Why not find out which one is quicker?

Sure that will settle it once and for all!

I have a feeling you wont be embarrassed :drive :twisted:
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Bear in mind that in order to achieve published 0-60 times, one has to virtually destroy the clutch
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

henrycrun wrote:Bear in mind that in order to achieve published 0-60 times, one has to virtually destroy the clutch
:lol:
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

henrycrun wrote:Bear in mind that in order to achieve published 0-60 times, one has to virtually destroy the clutch
Whatever flicks your switch i suppose. :D
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Not quite what we are talking about here, but I was amazed to see how my 2.0 Zed ate a 2.0 Alfa 156 the other day on the M2 hill northbound out of Belfast. He just ran out of steam and had to pull in. The Zed just kept on pulling to the red line.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)

Alfa

Post by Guest »

Maybe the Alfa driver had a little more discretion, or a few points on his licence!

Seriously though - lots of modern hot hatches will put up better 0-60 times than the smaller Zeds, but they often tend to become a bit asthmatic above that. One of the designer's goals - set by the marketing department - is to attain a good 0-60 figure which impresses a sector of potential buyers.

Would a Suzuki Swift stick with any Z3 on a twisty road? I doubt it. Another consideration for serious drivers is comfort - we can drive 600+ miles per day and leap from the Red Zed's pimply leather seats without pain, but the driving position in most hatches is so compromised, by fitting four seats into a short car, that 200 miles is enough. Our 167 bhp/275 lb-ft Golf TDI will stick with the 2.8 Z3 easily up to about 110 mph, but cannot compare in the comfort stakes.

Those whose idea of 'fast' driving is to accelerate hard around town will always be impressed by 0-60 times, but those who use their cars properly will realise that there are other criteria for a good car - in any case, fast driving starts at 60 mph!

I think a Z3 will also comfortably outlast a Suzuki, whic is designed for a short and happy life. There are lots of nine and ten-year-old Z3s running around, which still look like new - how many Suzuki Swifts of that age do you see outside the scrapyard?
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Mike is right but let us remember that nowadays it's the 0-30 performance that counts with all the cameras around. :evil:

To be honest I also do rate the 0-60 performance quite highly, because that's what i will be forced to use for 90% of my life. The other component for adrenaline-raising driving is being able to attack corners at the edge of the speed limit, so suspension becomes really important as well here. I'd say hot 0-60 and good cornering is what makes a realistically enjoyable car today, thank god the Z can still cut it in both respects.

I don't track the Z, as I'm sure most people here don't either, but I must say I have been impressed with performance above average speeds, that's really where the engine sings and shines.

Not that I've ever gone above 70 of course :twisted: :twisted:
wwwwOOOff!!!
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Alfa

Post by ///M_aniac »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Maybe the Alfa driver had a little more discretion, or a few points on his licence!
I'd say points, Mike. He was all over the place, weaving in and out trying to make progress. I hate seeing that idiotic dangerous style of driving. These are main roads and motorways, not a computer game.

I like speed. I like to have a fast car, and ok the 2.0 isn't a flying machine, but I relish its engine and exhaust note, and the creamy power delivery through the rev band. It's fast enough and I enjoy the fact that I'm driving something a little different to most others on the road and something that's special.

With an M??

0-60

Post by Guest »

I bet most of us don't use the full 0-60 (or 0-30) capability, as otherwide we would never get out of second gear (or first!). What we use is the abilityto provide good mid-range acceleration, such as 30-50 and 50-80 mph in top and fourth gears. This is of far more importance anywhere but a drag strip.

I remember the Autocar road test, comparing a 2.8 Z3 to a 2.5 Porsche Boxster - the Porsche had a small edge on the Z3 when run to peak rpm in every gear, but in terms of just prodding the throttle in any gear the Z3 left the Porsche behind by several seconds (8 seconds over 30-80 mph in top gear) which is a long way up the road, and makes for a far quicker car in real terms.

The Japanese have always produced astounding engines, their motorcycles being prime examples, but on the road a lower powered machine with plenty of mid-range torque and good handling is always preferable, unless you place great value on a quick sprint up a straight road.

I remember arriving at a motorcycle rally in the Czech Republic, when we had travelled from Prague (about 250 miles) and were watching a crowd of Austrians on Yamaha Genises, who had covered about 150 miles and could hardly walk! They would eat our BMW twins in terms of performance, but not over a decent day's run. There is more to performance figures than timed runs.
marco

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by marco »

Thanks folks. I find my Z is slightly disappointing off the lights (in that I get cars I think should be much slower keeping up) but much better on the 30-50 and motorway speed acceleration. Of course it could just be my driving...!
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

If you are looking for more out of your 2.0, get a remap or Gruppe M induction kit.

Or perhaps upgrade to a 2.8. Then you'll have no probs leaving these other cars you think you should be faster than behind at lights.

With an M??

marco

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by marco »

actually the Z stormed up a fast hill on the A30 with the Suzuki Swift miles behind...point well and truly proven! (and I got a tan at the same time...)
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

marco wrote:actually the Z stormed up a fast hill on the A30 with the Suzuki Swift miles behind...point well and truly proven! (and I got a tan at the same time...)
NOW you're gettin' it!! 8-)
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

If you want fast 0-60 times buy a bike. A litre bike will do that in around 3 seconds and 0-100 in 10!!!
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Does it come with a free bag to carry your body parts home in? :D
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Just buy an ///M :lol:

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I think being concerned with acceleration times in the z you're missing the point! I'd rather take my time and spend a little longer driving rather than get their really quickly, if I want to go fast I jump on my bike. Of course I do enjoy a bit of 'spirited' driving in the z but generally enjoy cruising around the lakes with the top down 8-). I will most likely be getting rid next year because of family commitments :cry: so will be on the lookout for a practible convertible?? :shock: So will be enjoying the z as much as I can this summer. :D
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

garythefish wrote:Just buy an ///M :lol:

Gazza.
I really really want an ///M :(