European Travel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

European Travel

Post by Guest »

Did you know that as from 1st July, the French have joined the ranks of European countries which require a car to carry a yellow fluorescent waistcoat?

This is in addition to the usual things such as:

(a) First-Aid kit (with rubber gloves in AIDS-concious Germany!)
(b) Fire extinguisher
(c) Warning triangle
(d) Spare bulb kit

We should all, of course, carry these handy things at all times, but the UK is the only EU country which does not require ANY of them! When they are finally made compulsory the average UK driver will have another thign to blame the EU for!
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Does spare bulb require a Xenon as well if you have those fitted?
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Re: European Travel

Post by The Colonel »

Mike Fishwick wrote:When they are finally made compulsory the average UK driver will have another thign to blame the EU for!
I can just see the Daily Mail headline now...

"YET ANOTHER TAX ON MOTORISTS - AND THIS ONE'S FROM EUROPE!"

...or the Sun...

"YELLOW FROGS SPOIL OUR HOLIDAYS"

As luck would have it, as a result of my job I already have a flourescent yellow waistcoat, as well as all the other items (down to the rubber gloves), so covered there...and if ever they decide we need hard hats, I'm sorted there too. :lol:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well, AFAIK the first aid kit and warning triangle are standard equipment on all BMW's, as is a simple toolkit. I am surprised not to see a torch on that list though, Mike.

Does anyone know where I can get a slimline fire extinguisher from? I need to replace the one I have which tucks neatly into the right-hand well in the boot along with the first aid kit. All the ones I have seen for sale recently seem to be shorter and fatter and won't fit in.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pop_sausage

Z4 M roadster

Post by pop_sausage »

I discharged one of those small fire extinguishers at a fire marshall training day. They showed us how utterly ineffective they are. It wouldn't put out a small wastepaper bin fire - probably useful if you had to extinguish a fag - that's about it. It took one of the bigger bad boys to be effective and even then, it had to be used properly - most people cocked it up on their first attempt - it looks so easy, but it ain't.

If your car's on fire...run away!

Torches

Post by Guest »

Yes - a torch is an excellent idea, but in general, it would probably be stolen by the kids, or the batteries flat when it was needed. Ideally a niCd battery torch could be permanently on charge, like a telephone.

B&Q sell some nice dry powder extinguishers, the smallest type being about three by ten inches. Their leager type fits into a Z3 boot bin easily. I must get round to fitting mine on an adaptor plate attached to the pair of threads underneath the top RH side of the boot, where it will be ut of the way, easy to get at, and will not rattle around.

I keep my waistcoat with the first aid kit, in the top compartment between the roll hoops, and the spare bulbs in the framework of the jack.

I would think that HID tubes would also be required, as although they have a long life they can fail, but this would be a very remote chance.

It's ironic that although in Germany it's a hanging offence to drive with one headlamp, but on a VW Golf - like many new cars - the owner is informed that 'It is no longer possible to change your headlampbulbs - go to your dealer' who will then relieve you of £100 to replace a 10 p trafficator bulb! It looks a major job, as the front apron comes off first, then the headlamp has to be removed, but given a pair of Torz keys it only takes about fifteen minutes.
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

what about repositioning it to the boot,like mine see pics,just get a couple of hex nut and bolts,take off the small black panel in the boot and attach the Fire extinguisher holder,then pop in the Fire extinguisher job done,took about 30 mins,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Are the rules in France similar to Italy; where everyone in/with the vehicle must their own vest?
Last edited by greg_ch on Thu 17 Jul, 2008 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

Rules

Post by Guest »

No mention of individual yellow vests, but it is a good idea.
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

In my Spanish rental car, there was only 1 vest.

I bought 2 for the Z for our Alps trip a couple of years back, very cheap at about £2 on ebay
tristanspeed

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tristanspeed »

The rules on warning triangles and flourescent vests just came in in France this month, so the media is saying that motorists have a 'period of grace' until about September before the Gendarmes searching through your boot for loot will begin fining you for not having a vest available.

I just bought one for each of our cars yesterday - they were 4 euros each, and one is known as a 'gilet de securité' if you need to ask for one, or indeed if the gendarme asks where yours is. A 'veste' is kinda like a smart suit jacket, so it all could get rather confusing and Mr Hulot-esque.
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by namatjira »

Any automotive engineer will tell you that carrying extra weight will increase fuel consumption and so increase the carbon footprint of that vehicle. I guess this means that the Eurocrats are not interested in reducing CO2 because by decreeing this they have added several hundred tonnes in luggage weight to Frances roads and this will be reflected in an increase in France's carbon footprint.

Go figure....
Now with both the 411 bhp Supercharged Z3MR and a WRX STi Wagon getting a 3.4 litre transplant and an XKR with mods planned.

Fast is good, faster is better. Wheeeeee !!!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well I managed to find a nice little fire extinguisher in the end - went into Halfrauds looking for something else (which they didn't have :head:) and found they had Guardian Fire Extinguishers on offer. It's a little dry power jobby, but it is better than flapping your hands or peeing on it.

The makers of those little yellow vests must be making a killing..... if I could only get the EU to say that our products were compulsory. :evil:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc

Post by Guest »

Somehow, I doubt if the weight of a fluorescent wiastcoat would make nay difference to one's carbon footprint - not that it matters a damn anyway!

I'm amazed that CO2 is the current bogey, when back in the early ninties we were told that our catalysts would remove hydrocarbon emissions, just leaving harmless CO2, nitrogen, and water. Before long we will be told that nitrogen and watewr are bad for us.

If the various third world contries stopped buring rain forests, CO2 would not matter at all - it's just another excuse increasing tax on motorists.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

BTW Lidl may have vests and extingushers fom Monday 21st July
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... .index.ar2
Sniff

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Sniff »

The flourescent vests are not compulsory in Germany, but are recommended. They are compulsory in Austria though, so I have them anyway as it's only an hour's drive away and I visit fairly often. It's only a matter of time before Germany makes them compulsory.

Just one point though...there must be one vest per potential passenger in the car (ie 2 in the z3) regardless of the number of passengers actually travelling. Also they must be inside the car, not in the boot.

Fire extinguishers incidentally are not required
ImageImage
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Lets not get confused with compulsory and advised shall we...

Extinguishers are advised...

also, spare bulbs are bulbs that can be easily changed, per say at the roadside.. HID bulbs do not meet this part, so I'd suggest that these are not required, which bearing in mind their cost -is a good thing...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... untry.html

taking into consideration the crossover time..
From 1st October 2008 all drivers in France, including drivers of vehicles registered outside of France, must have one warning triangle and one reflective jacket in their vehicle.

garyw
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

I have put one in each car now. There is no way Mrs PVR would get out of the car when I am replacing a flat tyre :D