How to I clean the cam position sensor? (1998 2.8)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dgbalfour

Z3 roadster 2.8

How to I clean the cam position sensor? (1998 2.8)

Post by dgbalfour »

I've been struggling with a few hesitant starting issues recently and some low power problems. I've also had some momentary loss of power (see a thread with that title for more information). Many posts on here refer to the inlet cam sensor; the car is a 1998 2.8 - single Vanos.

I've had the OBC read and there are no fault codes, but this poor starting is happing every day now so I need to do something about it.

How do I remove and clean/replace this cam sensor? I'm a bit stumped when I look under the bonnet of this car - I can't really see anything I recognise (no HT leads, coil, plugs etc...). I've had a look at the front of the engine for this sensor but can't see anything obvious.

If there is a guide somewhere or if somebody could post a photo, I would very much appreciate it. What do I need to remove to get at this thing?

Many thanks,

David
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This post may help. Am still looking for a piccy - there will be one on here somewhere. Unfortunately searching for "camshaft sensor" comes back with a gazillion posts as it one of the most common problems on the zed.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc

Cam Sensor

Post by Guest »

It's underneath the VANOS solenoid, whihc must be removed, along with the oil suply pipe. Then it's easy - just pull it out and wipe away any sludge around the tip.
dgbalfour

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by dgbalfour »

Thanks for the replies - I think I've found it now thanks to the above guidance and a little help from RealOEM!

I'll try and get it out after Christmas - if successful I'll write an article and take some photos.

David
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

That would be a most valuable addition to the forum David - thanks. Probably even worthy of a sticky... it's a very common problem on the non M's.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
dgbalfour

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by dgbalfour »

I tried to do this this morning, but unfortunately didn't have a big enough spanner - I need a 32mm open ender for the VANOS solenoid.

However, in searching for that information, I came across the following link:
http://danzee.org/cars/Cam_Sensor/M52_I ... ment.html

I shall go out and buy the necessary tools (and some unnecessary stuff in the January sales) and report back!
HowardZ

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HowardZ »

Ok - Camshaft position sensor fixed and computer reset and labour = £170 at independent BMW dealer.

Anyone think this is a ripoff, or is this average?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Absolute ripoff! I paid £96.02 (parts £70.05, labour £25.97) at a BMW main $tealer for the same service on my 1.9, albeit three years ago - is inflation really that bad! :shock:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
HowardZ

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HowardZ »

Hmmm... Apparently its:

£50 for Sensor
£30 for Diagnostic
£35 for ECU reset
£55 for labour.

£55 for an hours labour.... only in Britain!
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

£30 for Diagnostic
£35 for ECU reset

Now there's inventive sales tactics. £35 for a mouse click - the computer is already connected from the diagnostic!
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
HowardZ

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HowardZ »

That's EXACTLY what I thought - My wife was at the garage, I was at work... $tealer is spot on!

Oh well, hopefully it'll run properly now, and I'll finally get to experience what a 2.2i SHOULD feel like!