Engine over run between 1st & 2nd

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BarneyBoko

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Engine over run between 1st & 2nd

Post by BarneyBoko »

I had no option but to take the Zed on 1000m round tripper last week. not a problem as I know that its as hard as a brick, however it gave me the opportunity to get close to some of the little issues that you dont always pick up on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

The main take away that I got was the change from 1st to 2nd, I have always found it awkward in the Zed in comparison to other motors I have had, but never dwelt on it.

I noticed last week that I was now starting to accommodate it, noticeably avoiding quick take offs and avoiding the competition with the s***heads who when they see a Zed can only think of getting their pieces of scrap past you especially at double lane junctions.

Here are the symptoms, I raise the revs to get moving in 1st, I then drop the clutch and go for 2nd, however the engine revs do not fully drop off when I come of the gas, with the effect that when the clutch comes back in again I need to settle the car as the revs are just too high. I have even tried completely removing my right foot from the accelerater to see if that makes a difference, but no real change other than further slowing the progression through the gears. The problem is not evident from 2nd up, however by that time the nice young man in the Peug 106 is getting a self esteem rush.

Anyone any ideas or similar experiences.

Barney
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Could be a sticky throttle cable or perhaps the throttle position sensor is stuffed. If it's always been that way it might be just a trait of a heavy flywheel.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
BarneyBoko

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BarneyBoko »

All possibilities Spunky, the one that interests me is the comment about the fly wheel, the car is easy to stall in reverse, which might be part of the same problem.

Barney
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

BarneyBoko wrote: the car is easy to stall in reverse, which might be part of the same problem.

Barney
I'd go with throttle position sensor.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Yeah, what he says
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)

Revs

Post by Guest »

I had a similar problem, which became worse, until the rpm was rising to 2500 rpm during a change!

This turned out to be a well-known fault, being a failure of the clutch switch - if your car is pre-1999 it will also need a new cable loom to adpat the new switch to fit.
BarneyBoko

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BarneyBoko »

Its a 2000X, 2.2L straight six.

The problem has been pretty consistent since I have had the car which is around 9 months.

Are any of these sensor issues DIY or is it a trip to the doctor ?

I hate offering them any ambiguity especially in the current economic environment, it tends to cost more.

Last week the Merc went to the dealer to get the auto box fluid checked. Last year it would have been a box ticking exercise. This year it was a MAF sensor and Gearbox control unit, that will be a grand thank you very much.

Barney

Clutch Switch

Post by Guest »

You could try joining and seperating the two wires going to the clutch switch, and see what happens - that would tell if the switch is the problem. Some switches have three wires, one of which is earthed if the clutch is disengaged or engaged - I forget which .
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Yes, good suggestion Mike.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster