stupid question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
moldmcdohl

Z3 roadster 1.9

stupid question

Post by moldmcdohl »

just bought a z3 but HOW ON EARTH DO I OPEN THE BONNET!!!! I CANT FIND THE CATCH ANYWHERE!!!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Two catches. First pull the lever in the drivers footwell and then slide your fingers under the the right-hand side of the "nose" of the bonnet and there is a second catch there that stops the bonnet lifting on its own should it come open whilst you are driving.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
moldmcdohl

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by moldmcdohl »

thanks im in....

useless at cars but i want to check the water and oil is ok where can i find them? i guess the 5l white tub on the front left is water but mine is empty should i fill it up?
badboyblue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by badboyblue »

That's the screen wash bottle - the cooling water is the turny roundy cap next to the hotty hotty thingy right in the middle at the fronty end of the brmm brmm area.

HTH
BBB
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Hi moldmcdohl and welcome to the forum
moldmcdohl wrote:useless at cars but i want to check the water and oil is ok where can i find them? i guess the 5l white tub on the front left is water but mine is empty should i fill it up?
I'm not familiar with the layout of the 1.9 engine but I think what you are describing is the windscreen washer reservoir.

The radiator and engine coolant water is usually topped up via an expansion tank. However be careful - this should NOT be opened if the engine is hot.
To check the oil level you need to pull the dipstick out when the car is on level ground.
I suggest that you either read the manual (if you've got one :rtm: ) or ask someone who isn't useless :head: to point out the relevant bits.
It's not difficult really - except by correspondence on an interent forum :)

Regards
Titan
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

badboyblue wrote:That's the screen wash bottle - the cooling water is the turny roundy cap next to the hotty hotty thingy right in the middle at the fronty end of the brmm brmm area.

HTH
BBB
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Definite case of RTFM for moldmcdohl.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.

Read All About It

Post by Guest »

IF you know so little about cars in general, and the Z3 in particular, why don't you read about it in the Owner's Handbook? It is filled with useful information, and even if your car does not have one, they do not cost the earth to buy from any dealer.

You may already have one, stored in a black wallet, along with the service record etc.
estocks

Not specified

Re: Read All About It

Post by estocks »

Mike Fishwick wrote:IF you know so little about cars in general, and the Z3 in particular, why don't you read about it in the Owner's Handbook? It is filled with useful information, and even if your car does not have one, they do not cost the earth to buy from any dealer.

You may already have one, stored in a black wallet, along with the service record etc.
Absolutely. A car is a machine that needs it's owner to know about it. There is no excuse for not learning the basic procedures for fluid maintainace.

Having a pair of t*ts is a oft cited excuse, and a dammed feeble one.

If you expect your expensive car not to seize up, then RTFM.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

moldmcdohl.. if you do not have an owners manual PM me your e.mail and I will send you a PDF of one
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

estocks wrote:
Mike Fishwick wrote:IF you know so little about cars in general, and the Z3 in particular, why don't you read about it in the Owner's Handbook? It is filled with useful information, and even if your car does not have one, they do not cost the earth to buy from any dealer.

Absolutely. A car is a machine that needs it's owner to know about it. There is no excuse for not learning the basic procedures for fluid maintainace.

Having a pair of t*ts is a oft cited excuse, and a dammed feeble one.

Ho hum, we have some headmasters in the place! Place him/her in detention at once for not having an owners manual! :roll: :lol:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

estocks wrote: Having a pair of t*ts is a oft cited excuse, and a dammed feeble one.

Come on Estocks there's nowt wrong with a decent pair.:lol:

I've just poured you a drink Mike to bring your blood pressure off the boil.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum Moldmcdohl and enjoy your bedtime reading. :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

estocks wrote: A car is a machine that needs it's owner to know about it. There is no excuse for not learning the basic procedures for fluid maintainace.

RTFM.
Nice one Ed :roll:

Normal helpful attitude as usual.

moldmcdohl is attempting to get to know his car and is asking questions of people he trusts to give him the correct answers as this is a BMW Z Roadster Forum. He asked a general question and gets your standard unhelpful reply of RTFM :roll:
Last edited by Gazza on Sun 08 Feb, 2009 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

garythefish wrote:
estocks wrote: A car is a machine that needs it's owner to know about it. There is no excuse for not learning the basic procedures for fluid maintainace.

RTFM.

moldmcdohl is attempting to get to know his car and is asking questions of people he trusts to give him the correct answers considering this is a BMW Z Roadster Forum. He asked a general question and gets your standard unhelpful reply of RTFM :roll:
Gazza,
I notice you refer to moldmcdohl as 'he'. How do you know he hasn't got a pair of t*ts as it was so eloquently expressed :wink:

Dav the wheel nut
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi moldmcdohl and welcome to the mad house!

Not such a daft question really from someone who regularly hires cars - now learnt to check these things out before I drive off. Also a few years ago I pulled into a service station to fill up the washer bottle and after 5 minutes got out to help the driver in front to identify their washer bottle - it was hire car with just a discrete filler cap and a hidden bottle!

Seriously the manual is very useful and if you haven't got one PM muppet and take up his offer.

Lastly enjoy the Zed.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Dav wrote:
garythefish wrote:

RTFM.

moldmcdohl is attempting to get to know his car and is asking questions of people he trusts to give him the correct answers as this is a BMW Z Roadster Forum. He asked a general question and gets your standard unhelpful reply of RTFM :roll:
Gazza,
I notice you refer to moldmcdohl as 'he'. How do you know he hasn't got a pair of t*ts as it was so eloquently expressed :wink:
He may have 'Man Boobs'
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

badboyblue wrote:That's the screen wash bottle - the cooling water is the turny roundy cap next to the hotty hotty thingy right in the middle at the fronty end of the brmm brmm area.

HTH
BBB
:o

Anyway, I'd offer to email you the manual but Muppet has taken care of that so have fun coming up to speed with the basic stuff and lots of help here on the forum for trickier stuff.
1999 Z3 2.8 (Cosmos)
2000 M Coupe (Dakar)
545 M Sport

Attitude

Post by Guest »

I WAS being helpful - the Owners Handbook is the best way to answer these questions, and the others which wil doubtless follow.

The trouble is that so many people these days - particularly young males - are unable to read anything more than a paragraph long which is not on a screen! They therefore ignore the obvious source of such information, and rely on asking others on forums such as this.

I bet he/she does not even know how to remove the spare wheel, and has certainly never tried to fit it!

Of course, many peple will claim that athere is no point in knowing, as all one needs in today's world is a mobile phone and a credit card . . . .

I hope these people never break down in the middle of France on a Satuday afternoon, when help will not usually be available until Monday afternoon!
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Welcome to the forum moldmcdohl

Don't be put off from sticking around by the odd (grumpy) comment thats been made.
Most of us don't really care if you are male or female nor with or without boobs, all though I think we may raise a brow if you are a bit of both :lol:
Just as long as you look after your zed you'll be welcome around here :wink:
Enjoy :rtm:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Whats a spare wheel :lol:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Roadmonster
Z Register organiser

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: stupid question

Post by Roadmonster »

moldmcdohl wrote:just bought a z3 but HOW ON EARTH DO I OPEN THE BONNET!!!! I CANT FIND THE CATCH ANYWHERE!!!
Don't worry mate, the numpty salesman that sold me mine couldn't find it either. You'll soon be up to speed and in love with your Zed.
And, as previously mentioned, don't be put off hanging around (even if you have got tits/manboobs :wink: )
BMW - Bitch Makes Whupass.......(Topless)
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

We all have to start somewhere, give the guy a break. At least he's bothering to even check, more than most motorists these days who are more concerned about which iPod stereo to fit or what size of alloys they can squeeze under the arches.

Welcome to the forum moldmcdohl. Assuming you have a 1.9L from around 1996 to 1999 then the image below shows the engine layout:

The white bottle at the front left in the pic is your screen washer bottle.

The cap at the front right just infront of the bonnet catch hole (slighty rusty in this pic) is the cap for the expansion tank. If you look at the white bottle this cap is attached to, you will see some markings for the coolant. Check these markings when the engine is cold. from memory one of them says cold. The coolant should be level with this.

If you follow a line back from the coolant cap, to the back of the engine you will see the red ring for the dip stick. This allows you to check the oil level in the sump. Again with the engine cold and not running, pull this out, it may require a bit of force, so watch you don't scuff your knuckles on the engine. (been there done that lol). Give this a wipe and reinsert so that it goes back in fully. Pull this out again and look at where the oil is. It should be between the two notches on the dipstick. If it's below then top up the oil a little at a time checking the level each time. oil can be topped up by removing the oil filler cap (black square cap just in front of the BMW lettering on the engine in this picture) It should not go above the upper notch on the dipstick as this is just as damaging as having too little oil.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

PS Enjoy the car.

Andrew
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

I hope these people never break down in the middle of France on a Saturday afternoon, when help will not usually be available until Monday afternoon!

Is there any post that Mike can't get a reference to France in!! :D :D
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

SpunkyM wrote:
I hope these people never break down in the middle of France on a Saturday afternoon, when help will not usually be available until Monday afternoon!

Is there any post that Mike can't get a reference to France in!! :D :D
LOL it sounds rubbish though, no service on a Saturday afternoon lol :twisted: I'm just waiting for a reference to a technical guide lol :)
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

garythefish wrote:

RTFM.

Actually I can be very helpful, but I don't suffer fools.

Checking the fluids now forms part of the driving test.

OK with you Gary?
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

estocks wrote:
garythefish wrote:

RTFM.

OK with you Gary?
The guy came on the forum to seek some advice and from what I can see has been treated to uncalled for patronising behaviour. I think if people don't have something useful to say, then they should act in an adult manor and say nothing. Not everyone has the same skill set.

I would be surprised if we see the guy back here again which is a real shame. What an introduction to a 'friendly' forum.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

HTH
BBB
I just spat my tea out :lol:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

smartypants wrote:

HTH
BBB
What's the big block thing with BMW written on it then? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

whiteminks wrote:What's the big block thing with BMW written on it then? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I think that's called an X5. :twisted:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

whiteminks wrote:
smartypants wrote:

HTH
BBB
What's the big block thing with BMW written on it then? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
:roflmao:
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Robert T wrote:
whiteminks wrote:What's the big block thing with BMW written on it then? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I think that's called an X5. :twisted:

Cheers R.

:twisted: :twisted:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

estocks wrote:
garythefish wrote:

RTFM.

OK with you Gary?
I agree that sometimes You can be helpful, like here http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ht=#183809 but it isn't fair or necessary to take your frustrations out on New members, we are all 'Fools' in certain subjects.
Gazza

ImageImage
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

This is quite a good 'spotting' game. 8-)

Perhaps Giles should donate a ZR calendar to the first ZR member to correctly identify and label the parts in that engine and post up the pic?

P.S Mike F isn't allowed. :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Does anyone know where I put my manual :D so I can enter the competition :dunce:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Mine's in my boot, but I can't work out how to open it :puzzle:
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

Does anyone know where the dipstick is on the Z4? Except for the one in the drivers seat! :lol:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Zed_Steve wrote:Does anyone know where the dipstick is on the Z4? Except for the one in the drivers seat! :lol:
That's a classic Steve. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Zed_Steve wrote
Does anyone know where the dipstick is on the Z4? Except for the one in the drivers seat!
The other question is "How many salesmen does it take to find the dipstick on a Z4? The answer is 5.

Seriously when we picked up the Z4 and they were doing the handover bit I innocently asked "Where's the dipstick?" 20 minutes later 5 of them round the car - I had found the handbook and the answer to Zed_Steve's question is that the 2.0 does not have a dipstick!

I actually find it a bit of a pain - when driving you press a button and the display and comes up "OK". Then 50 miles later it comes up with "1 Litre of OIL" - BMW's explanation is that customers then know that exactly 1 litre is required! I'm sorry but before I set put on a longish run I would like to be able to check the oil. OK rant over.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well you learn something every day, I new I would find this thread useful :D :rtm:
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

whiteminks wrote:This is quite a good 'spotting' game. 8-)

Perhaps Giles should donate a ZR calendar to the first ZR member to correctly identify and label the parts in that engine and post up the pic?

P.S Mike F isn't allowed. :wink:
It certainly is a good spotting game, we could play spot the arogant prats who judge someones merits on their ability to check the oil level, plenty here. :twisted:
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

BTW in the previous photo, whats under the square padded cover to the left of the fuse box ? Just curious as to what I'm missing !
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

Zed Carer wrote:Zed_Steve wrote
Does anyone know where the dipstick is on the Z4? Except for the one in the drivers seat!
I had found the handbook and the answer to Zed_Steve's question is that the 2.0 does not have a dipstick!
Correct! Though i did know this, was just being silly :lol:
But i was searching around the engine bay for 20 minutes just after i bought it, before realising that you actually press a button on the dash to check the oil level. :dunce:
First car ive had that doesnt have a dipstick!
Torres09

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Torres09 »

Note to self.... Ensure I know everything about a car before asking a question :!: :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D
Welcome mold and dont be put off 8-)
Why does mineral water that takes a 1000 years to flow up through the earth, have a sell by date on the bottle?
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

henrycrun wrote:BTW in the previous photo, whats under the square padded cover to the left of the fuse box ? Just curious as to what I'm missing !
Hi Henry,

That's the Battery under there, on alot of the 4 cylinder cars the battery is under the bonnet as opposed to being in the boot.

Andrew
ajones13

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ajones13 »

Double Post
saltcoatsbhoy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by saltcoatsbhoy »

I'm with ajones13 on this, moldmcdohl didn't ask "Where do I put the fluids?" If memory serves me right, after one of my first posts, albeit in a poor attempt at humour, Estocks told me to "wind my neck in, don't have a go at a well respected poster, etc etc. Cheers Estocks!
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

call me stupid,thick or just plain essex boy,ive had my m for nearly 5 years and dont know where the fluid pot is for the power steering ,and ideas and pic would be good,its always done when i have a sewrcive ,am i just not looking properly or what???????????
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

321bhp wrote:call me stupid,thick or just plain essex boy,ive had my m for nearly 5 years and dont know where the fluid pot is for the power steering ,and ideas and pic would be good,its always done when i have a service,am i just not looking properly or what???????????