Seat out with roof up ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Seat out with roof up ?

Post by henrycrun »

Need to take the drivers seat out to replace the pyrotechnic loom. Now as I don't want to drop the top and risk a cracked rear window in this chilly weather, can anyone confirm how easy it is to get it out through the door ? (yes I'm being a wimp and frightened that a hernia/slipped disc is on on the cards....!)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Start the engine and direct the face vents at the rear screen until warm before you drop the top. Much easier than struggling with the roof up :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

If you REALLY insist on leaving the roof up I know that you can get the seat out with it up. But you'll need to be somewhat of a strong bloke because I would consider myself a bit of A horse and even with the top down I struggled with the weight of those seats!!!

Heat up the car loads and just even half put down yours top, If you have a power top that is....
MaxZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MaxZ3 »

PS the metal rails on the seat would cause havoc to your plastic trim etc if you catch or drop the seat on the way out! Beware!!!!!!!!!!!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

How do you think those of us with the Coupe manage :P although the Roadster opening is probably a touch smaller than the coupe.

As said, it is MUCH easier with the roof down, you don't even need to fold it all the way down, mine would sit half open (almost vertically). Warm it up with a hairdryer to be safe.
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

..or just pour a bit of luke warm water over it before lowering - saves you messing around with an extension lead.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
MikeR
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MikeR »

Something which I forgot when taking out the drivers seat is to disconnect the battery first. If you don't do this, when you come to plug things in you will find that you seat belt warning light will be on! Resetting for me was a trip to the main dealers! :( :(
MikeR
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Just warm the car up first , I got the top down on Sunday with -6.5C showing. Polishing the window with Autoglym superresin helps to keep it flexible.
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Let the sun warm it for you. There are more kWs of radiant energy coming from the sun than kWs of convection / conduction energy coming from your heater.
Pingu
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Let me know if interested and I'll take some photos when I take the seat out
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Please take pics.

Post by BonBon »

Please take pics. (llooms and connectors - before and after)
I have the same problem and plan to address it in the near future - but I'm all confused with the looms etc.
To complicate things I see that the driver's belt buckle has been replaced after 2000 and there is an additional cable & connector leaving the buckle area and not connected to anywhere - in addition to the normal pre-tensioner cable & connector. (my guess is the extra cable is from a newer buckle suitable for a car that has a warning light when the buckle is not connected) :shrug