Engine management light and airbag light on

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Benj

Z3 roadster 2.8

Engine management light and airbag light on

Post by Benj »

The engine management light and airbag light are on but car runs fine appart from when its not warm and the revs drop when its ticking over and it nearly cuts out. What should i do? Dont say take it to bmw because i aint got an arm and a leg spare at the mo! The guy i bought it off said it come on before when he was hardly using it and said its just condensation in the exhaust? Any ideas?
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

I'm under the impression that both of those indicators need resetting, either from a carsoft interface, or by hooking it up to a diag machine at a BMW dealership. Not what you wanted to hear, I know. :wink: Plus I'd be extremely reluctant to use the Z with the EML light on. I wouldn't be using it until the matter is resolved and the source of the EML fault is found.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Benj

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Benj »

they have been on over a month now
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Benj

The airbag light could be a fault with the seatbelt pre tensioners which is quite common.

However, the EML light could be serious and I would take it to a BMW indie who should be able to diagnose both problems.

The last thing you want to do is to continue using the car and do more damage. :head:

Good luck
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Benj wrote:they have been on over a month now
Even more of a reason to get the EML light investigated! :shock: :roll: They won't go out by themselves, and with the EML on you risk damage to engine components, worsening the repair bill at the end of the day. That is worst case scenario, yes, it could be something minor but what if it isn't?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

EML will come on with something as simple as O2 sensor failure. From your post about the engine idle I would suspect O2 sensor failure which will not damage the engine.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Gary

Would you drive your pride and joy around with the EML light on or get it checked out ? :wink:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Yep could be (possibly the lambda heaters), but no point in guessing really when a 3 min diagnostic will reveal all the codes.

I got a diagnostic kit of fleabay for about £40 which plugs into a laptop and there's loads of free software on the web.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mine was on recently and I did drive it around for a short time until it could be checked out :wink:

The EML light is not a warning of impending doom (or it would be coloured Red), it is an indication that something needs to be checked.

Of course, I don't recommend that the car is used more than required :wink: .
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Benj

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Benj »

Thanks for the help guys. How much would bmw charge for a 3 minute on the diagnostic? I aint no brass. I got some 18" graphite grey oz's for it but need to sell them now they never reached the hub! Anyone interested?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Benj

You would be better posting the wheels for sale on the stock exchange with a picture and copy of receipt to show how much you paid for them.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I have an airbag reset tool and dont live too far from you. PM me if you want me to reset it for you. I cant help with the EML though.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

Do all Zeds have a cel??? I don't appear to have one and my handbooks don't mention one at all in picture or writing.I have the relevant tell tales oil water, abs, airbags, seatbelts and ASC+T. Am i missing something i know the cars not got any problems as has been code read on a few occasions but never find any info on the light location :shock: :shock:
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

A diag test at a dealer will be roughly £35-£50 dependent upon the dealership you go to. Independents may be chaeaper but they may also be unable to provide a full diagnosis.