Z3 owners, would you buy another Z3, MZ3, Z4 or other?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Z3
27%
MZ3
31%
Z4
25%
Other
16%

Total votes: 55

bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by bmwstuff »

Just a thought, if you could do it again (and after a spin in the maldives blue Z4). When you came to change your Z3, would you:
1. Buy another Z3
2. Upgrade to the fearsome MZ3
3. Change to the contentious Z4
4. Or call it a day and buy a different roadster altogether
:?:
________
Terios
Last edited by bmwstuff on Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

How about a further option of "Wait until the Z4M makes an appearance before deciding" :wink:
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

That'll be the 'other' option then, Giles...
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

I suppose the majority so far for the MZ3 (although I prefer Z3M, due to the former sounding rather similar to a particular, somewhat unglamorous motorbike!), is largely down to owners of 'lesser' Zeds wanting to upgrade their current pride and joy, rather than change it completely.

The Z4 is running pretty close though, come on you 3'ers !!!
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Giles wrote:How about a further option of "Wait until the Z4M makes an appearance before deciding" :wink:
Is there "actually" going to be one? There are so many conflicting tales on the net
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

S*d it then - i'll just have to get that CSL :wink:
Gwynn

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Gwynn »

Now we have a two month old my Zed is just a fun way of getting to work and with no chance of a blast on a French autorute to a gite, also a 2.8 in an Island with a maximum speed of 40mph is wasted. So:-

Another Z3 - yes but smaller engine
MZ3 - yes please buy see above :head:
Z4 - Growing on me but still a Z3 is nicer
Other - yes here's where our change of circumstances shows up In order of practicality:-
Like to try out the new shape SLK when it's out
3 series convertible poss 3litre
X5

Do I really know what will come after the Z3.................NO!

But I still have the 50:50 and "phone a friend"!
mattjw916

M roadster S54

Post by mattjw916 »

Well, if CSLs were available in the states, it would get my vote... otherwise probably an e34 M5
JUNGLE
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Thats a fair question

Post by JUNGLE »

Yes I would buy another Z3, but only the M, and yes the Z4 is growing on me all the time, but it would have to be the 3.0 or better. Do like the power !..The Alpina is nice, but at late 40's k out of my budget, by a long way.

Another car which has always been in my sights is a Honda S2000, never been out in one, but do like the look of them and they apparently go like stink, My only concern would be the lack of torque.

Audi TT, looks nice, but its never one thats taken my fancy, have always sort of seen the TT Roadster as a bit of a girls car ( no offence intended if anyone has one ) have only ever driven the 180 coupe and liked it but needed more power, I presume the 225 would indulge that.?

And yes have considered the Porsche Boxster 2.7, which I have driven and think its a fantastic handling machine, very fluid, great sounding engine ( ok not a 911, but not bad at all ) But I cant fit it in my garage at the moment, and my mate has a 2.5 one so not for me for the time being.

Sorry to ramble...just my thoguhts on the matter

Regards
JUNGLE
mattjw916

M roadster S54

Re: Thats a fair question

Post by mattjw916 »

JUNGLE wrote:Yes I would buy another Z3, but only the M, and yes the Z4 is growing on me all the time, but it would have to be the 3.0 or better. Do like the power !..The Alpina is nice, but at late 40's k out of my budget, by a long way.

Another car which has always been in my sights is a Honda S2000, never been out in one, but do like the look of them and they apparently go like stink, My only concern would be the lack of torque.
I would pick an S2000 over a Z4, regardless of the engine... but it would have to be an older 2L version that revs to 9000rpm, not the new 2.2L. They are extremely well balanced and have great power (despite the lack of torque). The only downside, to me, is the fact you have to shift so often to keep the motor in the powerband.

Just my opinion, I owned one for 3 years and put 60,000+miles on it... with no major problems before I bought the M. I like the styling of the S2k better than the Z4 too.