Hood motor sometimes doesn't work

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Robin

M roadster S50

Hood motor sometimes doesn't work

Post by Robin »

Sometimes when I try to lower or raise the hood the motor doesn't kick in.
I have to wiggle the hood back & forth then it does.
I'm guessing it could be the foot brake brake hood interlock switch or the hood switch.
Has anyone else had this problem so might know the best route of investigation of the cause ?
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I would look at the roof microswitch first - several people have had these fail - they seem to fail in the position that prevents the roof operating. I don't think it is a big job to change it.

The brake pedal switch I think is rather cunningly the same switch that operates the brake lights - so if you brake lights are working the chances are that the switch is okay - if it uses a second set of contacts it is feasible that one set could fail independently of the other. I'd need to have another close look at the wiring diagram to confirm this, but it does make sense not to have two switches to sense the same thing.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
micktus

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by micktus »

Hi there just bought my Z3 and had similar problem at first. Try checking the footbreak connector.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Thanks chaps. I'll check the brakelight & the hood micro sw.
Meantime It wouldn't open just now. So I found a screw to turn on the motor gearbox or is it hydraulics on the LHS in boot that decouples the hood from the drive mechanism. So now at least the hood is now free to move up or down manually until I fix.
Ian Taylor

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian Taylor »

Hi, i have a similar problem, the electric roof is dodgy. I didnt know it was possible to switch it off and use it manually. Had a look ant found the hydrolic thing you were talking about in the boot. Anyone know which bit it is i turn to decouple it?
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

It's the bar about 40mm long. Turn anti clockwise & that free's the hood.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Robin wrote:Thanks chaps. I'll check the brakelight & the hood micro sw.
If you trace the wires from the hood micro there is a connector just below the hard top mounting point on the near side. If you open this connector you can then short across the contacts on the car side. If the hood works now, you know it's the hood micro switch :)

Regards
Titan