Converting Z3 manual 1.9 to automatic? Can it be done?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Converting Z3 manual 1.9 to automatic? Can it be done?

Post by Ci »

P[color=red]lease read the instructions before posting - the Knowledgebase is for definitive ANSWERS, not questions! Moved to correct forum by MF[/color]

Has anyone ever had this done? My 1997 manual car is immaculate with only 31K on the clock. Looking around to replace it with a Z3 car 2000 reg 2.2 automatic, the miles quoted in ads seem to be double that. SO, is it possible to convert my manual gearshift to an automatic box? Has anyone had it done, if so what did it cost and who did it for you? Advice please? Otherwise it seems an MX-5 auto beckons.... :-(
Last edited by Ci on Sun 10 May, 2009 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Are you talking about a 2.2 engine and gearbox transplant into your car? Considered a different donor car like a 3 series 2.8 auto? Tried FABDirect?
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Hi Carol

Glad to hear your still enjoying the Z. I still remember on the lakes one year, seeing you wizzing passed going the other way most of the time, such a great laugh!

I doubt it would be cheap to do or very easy so I'd recommend looking for a low mileage auto car in the small ads and put yours up for sale. There are still some around, but it would take a fare bit of shopping I guess.

Or the MX5.... route, but have you tried one yet?

Regards

Stu, Sylv and bump!
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Nick

Porsche

Post by Nick »

Good to see you Saturday. How about nipping over to Surrey and pick this up.........

Aston Martin

:twisted:
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

converting Z3 manual 1.9 to automatic

Post by Ci »

Good to see you too N on Sat + the Tiger Moth flying at Compton Abbas... In future - Zeds to airfield + THE ROAD Zig Zag hill?
A thought: this Aston Martin DB7 is cheaper than a new Z4!!! Which one is better to drive I ask?
Hey ho. Back to a manual gear box conversion to auto box?
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

It can be done, but, I'd say it's not worth the cost or effort. You'd end up with a car that is worth less than a factory spec car. The best route would be to sell your current car and buy an auto IMO.
押忍!闘え!応援団
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

I converted a 1.9 to a 2.8. You will be surprised how many small differences there are as well as the obvious large ones like the loom etc.
Loads of work