New Soft top - Any suggestions & Query

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

New Soft top - Any suggestions & Query

Post by Guest »

Well Zippy is 10 years old and he has had his roof dyed last year with Renovo and it looked okay but I feel the time has come for a new hood.

Decided to go with a firm that I had all the details from http://www.prestigeautotrim.com/info/about.htm and they had sent me samples.

Rang them up today to sort it all out, will only supply - suspended fitting for the foreseable.

It took me forever to decide to go there so I'm completely stumped now.

I'm willing to travel for the right firm if it comes recommended but so far I've only found firms waaayyyyy down south, which I'm willing to go to if necessary (it's an excuse for a nice drive) but just wondered if there were any nearer to the North West?

Also, whilst searching, one site says "Early Z3 hoods were made with a relief pocket behind the main seam accross the car on both sides, later cars did away with this pocket. The hoods are interchangeable between frames so if your car has the relief pocket it is possible to upgrade to the latest design. The hoods are made to the O.E.M specifications and come with all plastic moulded fixing parts sewn to the hood." so my question is... what difference does it make, what was/is the purpose of the pocket?

Thanks
boblez

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by boblez »

I pmd you

Post by Guest »

Cheers... I pm'd you back....

Just in case anyone else is interested, got a couple of e mails back today . http://www.carhoodsnorthern.co.uk/
Hi,

The price for your Bmw Z3 hood fitted at our workshop is £695 or £720 fitted at your home, The fitting takes about 4-5hrs.

And, a bit of a drive :drive .. well a lot of a drive actually, http://www.kbaggstrimming.co.uk/hoods.htm

the cost to supply and fit a new BMW Z3 hood in Green Mohair would be £580 +vat
The current booking time for a same day turn around is September 14th onwards
if you get hear by 9am then the car will be ready by 4.30 the same day.

We have fitted two Z3 in the last month with no problems

Are either of these ZRoadsters by any chance..??
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Snoops, how does that compare with stealer prices ?
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -

Post by Guest »

Got a quote from Warrington BMW when they did my last service... £1,500 so bit of a difference there. I suspect most of that will be labour charges,
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

New hood for Z3

Post by Ci »

Could be interested in this but only down south - I'm in Dorset. Anyone recommend hood dealers in South?? Or PM me if prefer
Cheers - Ci
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New hood for Z3

Post by John Boy »

Ci wrote:Could be interested in this but only down south - I'm in Dorset. Anyone recommend hood dealers in South?? Or PM me if prefer
Cheers - Ci
Th link in Snoops' post to K Baggs will take you to a Dorset based firm... (Poole)
John Boy
2.8 Z3
texasjohn

BMW other

Post by texasjohn »

There is a place in Birmingham (Erdington IIRC) that charges £575 plus VAT.

They cant be too bad as they are booked up for the next 5 weeks.
550i Touring

Post by Guest »

I rang up Carhoodsnorthern today and had a good chat with Vic who had e mailed me. Sounded great guy and said they had been fitting soft tops for 15 years.

He reassured me they had done loads of Z3's and do all this type of work for the BMW dealers in the area.

This means that BMW Warrington (just up the road from CHN) were charging me £800+ for passing my car over to them.. OMG.

Anyway, he's booked in for Monday the 24th (the day after the NW meet), that's 8 days before his 10th birthday :)

Pics to follow.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Pleased you've got it sorted Snoops :)
Zippy deserves new clothes for his holiday :oops:
Image :devil:

Post by Guest »

Titan wrote:Pleased you've got it sorted Snoops :)
Zippy deserves new clothes for his holiday :oops:
For his holiday and birthday... I've managed to get away with 1 present for both :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sounds great snoops and just up the road from me.

Does it include a fixed or removable rear screen ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster

Post by Guest »

You know what, I didn't ask that.... is one better than the other, can't say it's ever occurred to me to zip out the rear window.

Are there any benefits of one over the other ??
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Just had a new blue mohair roof fitted, travelled to Croyden from Telford, and the cost? £450 all in...... looks lovely now!

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

Post by Guest »

I think you need to share that with us though :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Snoops wrote:You know what, I didn't ask that.... is one better than the other, can't say it's ever occurred to me to zip out the rear window.

Snoops, a zippable one can be changed easily if its damaged :wink:

I'm not sure if you can replace a non zippable one? but if you can probably not a DIY job :?:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Snoops wrote:You know what, I didn't ask that.... is one better than the other, can't say it's ever occurred to me to zip out the rear window.

I think this refers to replacing the window if it splits or gets badly scratched.
I'm thinking that some hoods have screens that are once only fitments as opposed to those with a zip that can be replaced independently.
I don't think it refers to "OOOoo - it's warm but not warm enough for the hood down so I'll just unzip the rear window."
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Im probably going to do this when i come back from hols. My rear window is in a shocking state and the roof is looking tired so may as well do the whole lot. Just cant make up my mind which colour to go for :?:
The car is montreal blue and im flirting with the idea of going for a more striking colour instead of black. Have a hard top in mont blue and i love the way you can have two different colour roofs during the year :colourful:
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

These

http://www.car-hood.co.uk/content.php?nID=2&cID=22

Have a good reputation on E30 hoods and seem to charge about £500 all in for fitting one of those.....might be worth a try for those of us of a more southern persuasion....
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Snoops wrote:I think you need to share that with us though :D

Croyden Soft Tops, Normal price £499 but I mentioned Z Roadster and he said £450. They are on T'internet just Google them...
Sewn in windows but he replaces them for £120 if needed

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

gookah wrote:
Snoops wrote:I think you need to share that with us though :D

Croyden Soft Tops, Normal price £499 but I mentioned Z Roadster and he said £450. They are on T'internet just Google them...
Sewn in windows but he replaces them for £120 if needed
I could be wrong, but I think he meant lets see some pictures...
John Boy
2.8 Z3
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

John Boy wrote: I could be wrong, but I think he meant lets see some pictures...
FYI - Snoops is a she :oops:

:devil:

Post by Guest »

Titan wrote:I don't think it refers to "OOOoo - it's warm but not warm enough for the hood down so I'll just unzip the rear window."
Duhhhh !! you got me there Titan - sorry the blonde showed through then, and just before any blondes get upset, I'm blonde so I'm allowed to say that.

Can't believe I was thinking that actually - must have been at the Bianco.

Vic rang me up today to let me know all was well and to check the colour as he could see Zippy was originally fitted with cream coloured one, he wanted to check I'm going for B R Green. I also asked about the zipped window, he said he can't get them now, it's a fixed window.

The one in the car is 10yrs old though and with care I've managed to keep it in good condition really, but Zippy is garaged so not exposed to elements all that much.

p.s. thanks for letting peeps know I'm a girl :D

and yes I was saying "pics please"...
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pics coming soon!!

Post by Guest »

gypsycatcha wrote: Just cant make up my mind which colour to go for :?:
The car is montreal blue and im flirting with the idea of going for a more striking colour instead of black. Have a hard top in mont blue and i love the way you can have two different colour roofs during the year :colourful:
http://www.carhoodsnorthern.co.uk/

The colours are all on there..
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Titan wrote:
John Boy wrote: I could be wrong, but I think he meant lets see some pictures...
FYI - Snoops is a she :oops:

:devil:
Doh! That'll teach me to pay more attention. :dunce:

Sorry Snoops!
John Boy
2.8 Z3

Post by Guest »

John Boy wrote:Sorry Snoops!
Don't give it a 2nd thought - some names are obvious, some aren't :?

Post by Guest »

Just a quick update, but no piccies for a couple of days.

Had the roof fitted yesterday, Vic is a great guy, he is a real motor enthusiast, he has a racing capri and old bmw, I'll post pics up when I put mine up. He'd been to Brands Hatch this weekend and won with the Capri.

He's done a couple of Z1's, last one came in at £1,400 for anyone that's interested.

He uses OEM parts and I am chuffed to bits with the standard of the roof and I can't believe how clear the window is now :shock: .

One thing he did mention though depending on how much the car is exposed to the elements, the frame will rust at the back and that is something to watch. Thankfully he said Zippy's frame was in great condition but that's probably because he is garaged. One to watch though.

Another thing he told me, and I do hope Titan reads this, the intention of the zip out window is to unzip it and let if flap open before you put the roof down, that way the window isn't folded. Now that makes sense..

Carhoodsnorthern - for the Cheshire members who were wondering where it is, is just down the road from the Willow Pool garden centre. They have 6 fitters that work UK Wide though so it's worth considering wherever you are.

Once he's shiny again I'll post some piccies up.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Snoops wrote:Another thing he told me, and I do hope Titan reads this, the intention of the zip out window is to unzip it and let if flap open before you put the roof down, that way the window isn't folded. Now that makes sense..
This is certainly not the case with the original roofs - they do not have a zipper to get hold of, so there is no way to unzip the window, and definitely no way to zip it back up again. Does your new roof have a zipper? If it does, then it will be interesting to see how easy it is to unzip. It would also be nice if you could drive with the window out - I see MX5s like that and on really hot days it keeps the sun off your head whilst letting a nice breeze through the car.

Please do get some piccies up soon, as this is something we will all need to do at some point. :wink:

And you mean to say that you were in Lymm and didn't come and say Hello. :bawl:

I hope you at least went to have something to eat at the Willow Pool - they do a lovely lunch. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Zip Window

Post by John Boy »

I think it was a feature of the early MX-5 that window needed to be un zipped, but it's not that case for the Z3; as Robert says, there is no way to undo the Zip day to day.
First I've heard of problems with the frame too, but could be worth checking.

JB
John Boy
2.8 Z3
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Robert T wrote:It would also be nice if you could drive with the window out - I see MX5s like that and on really hot days it keeps the sun off your head whilst letting a nice breeze through the car.
Alternatively you can just put the roof down and wear a cap! :D
John Boy
2.8 Z3
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Most of the early convertibles had the removable rear window feature, but as people have said certainly not the Z3. Which makes you wonder why a professional hood company doesn't know that.

Post by Guest »

Geoff H wrote:Most of the early convertibles had the removable rear window feature, but as people have said certainly not the Z3. Which makes you wonder why a professional hood company doesn't know that.
It may be that I misunderstood about the zip and which car he was referring to as he said he had done a lot of MX5's - I certainly wouldn't question his professionalism having seen his premises, seen the pictures of all the cherished cars that have been entrusted to him, met him and had the benefit of him fitting a new roof for me.

Hi Robert, didn't know we were so close to you - would have popped in if only to see froggy - and yes Willow Pool do do nice afternoon tea, hence the reason Zippy is mucky - have you seen their car park in the rain !!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Snoops wrote:Hi Robert, didn't know we were so close to you - would have popped in if only to see froggy - and yes Willow Pool do do nice afternoon tea, hence the reason Zippy is mucky - have you seen their car park in the rain !!
I'm only about 10 mins from there. I often do a circuit of the lanes round Lymm in Froggy. And yes, their car park does have quite a bit of room for improvement - I think they treat it as though it is one of their architectural antiques. :lol: I do quite a mean afternoon tea too. :D

Cheers R.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Snoops, I think the price paid for an OEM roof install was great value and I bet it looks like it did the day it was delivered, I'm jealous now but don't go painting it green (I assume you got a black one?) :D .

And just to confirm no way is the Z3 zip out window ever intended for routine removal. Part of the kit is a sealing strip to give extra weather protection around the zip. Although it could probably be reused it would soon loose its adhesion is constantly undone. Plus the zip head is meant to be removed and 2 "staples" applied to stop the zip from undoing, these need pliars to remove :shock:

Its more a case of the zipper offering easy DIY replacement of the rear screen in the event of damage.

Post by Guest »

Jonttt wrote:Snoops, I think the price paid for an OEM roof install was great value and I bet it looks like it did the day it was delivered, I'm jealous now but don't go painting it green (I assume you got a black one?) :D ..
Hi Jontt - yes he looks great - won't feel let down by the roof now when I get him all shiny... no need for the Renovo any more :D I got a British Racing Green roof and he looks the bees knees - IMHO
Robert T wrote: I do quite a mean afternoon tea too. :D

Cheers R.
Then it's yours for the start/end of the next meet - well voluntered.. :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Snoops wrote:Then it's yours for the start/end of the next meet - well voluntered.. :D
Mine really is mean - you get tea or coffee and only if you are very lucky do you get a biscuit. :roflmao:

The Frozen Mop on the other hand does very good food, and that is where we will be landing up after Tatton.

Your roofs sounds ace - when can we see?

Cheers R.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Snoops, I'm intrigued, I didn't know you could get a green roof for the Z3 let alone an OEM one :?:

Can't wait to see the piccies, stop teasing us :bawl:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Jonttt wrote:Snoops, I'm intrigued, I didn't know you could get a green roof for the Z3 let alone an OEM one :?:
Did you not see her zed with the roof up on Sunday? It was very definitely green and OEM. :wink:

Cheers R.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Ah but it didn't start out green :D was recoloured with Renevo (spelling?)
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Jonttt wrote:Ah but it didn't start out green :D was recoloured with Renevo (spelling?)
Snoops wrote: roof dyed last year with Renovo and it looked okay but I feel the time has come for a new hood.
:wink:
John Boy
2.8 Z3
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Jonttt wrote:Ah but it didn't start out green :D was recoloured with Renevo (spelling?)
Snoops wrote: roof dyed last year with Renovo and it looked okay but I feel the time has come for a new hood.
:wink:
John Boy
2.8 Z3