3.0 diesel lump and 6 speed box in Z3?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
markd

Z3 roadster 2.8

3.0 diesel lump and 6 speed box in Z3?

Post by markd »

HI,

Has anyone ever stuck a 3.0 diesel engine and the 6 speed box into a Z3? Will it fit?
I drive a 330d for work and its a great engine, loads of fun and the economy is fantastic considering I rag it evrywhere!!(boring bit I know!!)
Anyway, I am looking at buying a Z3 and was considering one with space shuttle mileage but good body, just to elbow in a 3.0 diesel lump.

Anyone any views?

Mark
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

wash your mouth out ...ha ha
THANKS MARC
looking for a carp fishing hoilday we can help http://www.carpfishingmayenne.com

ImageSYMPTOMS OF A BOOST JUNKY

1. You get excited when it's cold outside.
2. You fill up every three days.
3. The size of your grin is directly proportional to the amount of boost you’re on.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 deisel

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It's a great idea, but I think the 3 litre would have too much torque for the suspension - rather like a dragster. The boot floor would probably not like it either - is an M engine can tear it up, think what the torque of a 3 litre deisel would do!

I have often thought about this idea, but would prefer a 2 litre engine remapped to about 180 bhp and 280 lb-ft. As well as being more economic that the 3 litre, it is lighter, and has all its weight behind the front axle line.

The 2.8/MR ZF gearbox should be OK, but the problem lies in getting a donor car at sensible cost. Ther are a lot more bits needed that the engine.

Anyway - full marks for seeing past the usual narrow-minded enthusiast idea that deisels are not 'Driver's' engines!