Which Car to buy? Z3 1.9 or 2.8 ? Advice Appreciated Please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Which Car to buy? Z3 1.9 or 2.8 ? Advice Appreciated Please

Post by seasurfer »

Hi,
Just recently joined this forum and wondered if any one can give me some advice please. I am looking at buying a Z3 and found two that i am really interested in.
The first one is a 1997 about 90,000 miles and a 2.8 and 10 previous owners, just over £4000!
The second one is a 2000 about 88,000, a 1.9 and 3 previous owners, just over £5000 with one month guarantee.
Both look in really good condition but what are the pro's and con's between the two if there are any?
I only drive 4000 miles per year so it wont have to do a lot of work.
I have looked into the insurance today, and there is little difference in price. Hopefully will be joining local meets soon. Thank you

Gill
Last edited by seasurfer on Thu 27 Aug, 2009 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

hi,.you mean the 2.8 yes, and the 1.9,ive had a 1.9 and i loved it,never cost me a penny to fix,and petrol consumption was good,if i had the choice id go for the 6 pot 2.8 i think just a nicer car,i think the rear body is wider on the later 2.8 z3,so looks better to me,i dont do much milage in my zm,i think any car will cost you more themore you drive it,id try the 1.9 first then the 2.8 and decide,whatever you choose welcome aboard,its a z whatever you get 8-) 8-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Seasurfer, you will really need to drive both to see if engine performance is important to you. At the end of the day there is a massive difference between the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder engines but that is not necessarily what the roadster "experience" is about for everyone (the 1.9 was the biggest seller). You won't know htis for yourself until you drive them both.

Alsoin the case of these 2 cars I assume the 2000 1.9 is a "facelift".

This means they will both be "widebodied" and so the cosmetic differences eg rear light clusters, actual shape of year, etc... are more subtle and again down to personal taste (a lot of people prefer the pre facelift and vice versa) - the widebodied 1.9 does make a big difference to the stance of the car.

non cosmetic differences made in 2000 were not that dramatic but again may be important to you. They included 2 stage airbag (originally single stage), "lined" interior roof, etc.....

Have a look here which gives the 2000 changes in more detail by model

Z3 History

nb don't use registration date, its date of manufacture that is important to know which version you have.This is easily seen in the engine bay on a sticker so ask for it eg it could have been registered in 2000 but be pre face lift (easy way to tell is by rear light cluster, L shape on face lift)

Condition more important to me than mileage and like you I will do less than 5000 miles pa in mine which has 80,000 on the clock and runs superb.

Read up on the "generic" thinks to look for (plenty of guides on here) and make a list when you go to view.

Most important of all go for a good 20-30 min test drive on varied roads.

Good luck
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi, Thanks alot for the info, thats the sort of guidance i need before buying. I am away later this evening till monday so will check any further info on my return.
Thanks alot, much appreciated.

Gill
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

2.8 easily the best choice, it will return decent MPG driven steadily, in fact very good mpg on a steady run. That's the only possible question you could be asking yourself to get a 1.9 over a 2.8.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I would go by condition as much as anything, its very easy to go for the more powerful engine wearing rose tinted glasses and end up with a dog of a car. I remember I wanted the 2.2 or 3.0 but everyone had issues of some sort and ended up with a 1.9 and don't regret buying it at all, its nippy enough for everyday motoring.

Better to go for the less powerful engine, less flies in your teeth :shock:

Tim
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

2.8 say no more 8-)
THANKS MARC
looking for a carp fishing hoilday we can help http://www.carpfishingmayenne.com

ImageSYMPTOMS OF A BOOST JUNKY

1. You get excited when it's cold outside.
2. You fill up every three days.
3. The size of your grin is directly proportional to the amount of boost you’re on.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Having originally having a 1.9 for 6 years and then getting the 2.8 we've found them to be "chalk and cheese" so best to test drive them both. For us the 2.8 is the one but a lot more 1.9's were produced.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Owners

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I would be wary of a car which has had ten owners - one a year - which could mean that it has not been well looked after, and probably given a farewell thrash by most of them.

Decide which engine you want, and work from there - the 2.8 is powerful, has lots of bottom-end torque, and can be surprisingly economic.

The 1.9 is really powerful enough for most purposes, and handles better than the six cylinder models, due to the absence of 50 lbs weight in front of the axle line.

If you want to choose between the two cars you have seen, I would prefer a 3 owner 1.9 to a 10 owner 2.8.
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Good sound common sense from Mike F, couldn't agree more! Be ruled by the Three C's with our cars, Condition, Condition and Condition before anything else (including your heart). Pay more for better.
RobBruce

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by RobBruce »

Gill,

You need to look at what you actually want from the car, and how you're going to drive it.

What sort of cars have you had before? The 2.8 has quite a lot of power and torque, especially if you've only driven smaller engined cars before. If it has power that you won't really use, what's the point?

The 1.9 has a cracking engine, revs really well and is fun to drive 'spirited' without going TOO fast. Many people have 1.9s, love them, and have no problem keeping up on most cruises.

I first fell in love with the 1.9, great car to drive, but personally wanted the extra oomph from the 2.8. Do YOU need it though?

As MikeF states - it's more than just the engine. Look at the whole car. 3 owners versus 10! :shock:

If it's a choice between just these two - the 1.9 wins every time.

HTH
Rob
In God We Trust - everyone else gets PNC'd.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I'd like to add one element to Mike's spot-on insights.
I got the car (1.9) simply for cruising with the roof down and the newfound hobby (keeping all in top nick does take some effort).
Performance was a non-issue and the 140 bhp is quite adequate.
I drive placidly ( I feel Mike's approval :wink:) and grateful that I don't have the extra bhp - as at times, with the right music, I think I could get carried away.......

Either way it'll bring enormous pleasure and a place to escape the magician (the one who at times can turn every discussion into an argument :D )
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

hi seasurfer,
when i set my heart on a zed it was without doubt the wide bodied look i wanted. i was open minded about the engine size as i wanted the open top experience car style more than the performance.

i had insurance quotes for both and the 2.8 was around £100 a year more also the road tax issue and fuel consupmtion. as this was to be my second car i had to take into account the running costs.

i bought a facelift 1.9 and think the car is everything i wanted from a zed. once or twice i have thought maybe i should have bought a a 2.8 or 3.0 when a boyracer is reving his car beside me at traffic lights. but i just let him go knowing that he would love to swap places.
on the 2 choices you have stated my vote goes to the 1.9 with less owners.for reasons stated by the others

not sure if this will help you but good luck :wink:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

I loved the low down grunt of my 2.8. The effortless 'off the line' kick in the back you get. The exhaust note & the smoothness of that engine. However the 1.9 is a little nimbler handling wise & that one is a better bet with 3 owners.
Personally I'd wait for a better 2.8 to come along. Depends on how important performance v economy is to you.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
fi fi

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by fi fi »

our cars showing 3 owners but we know its only been owned by the same owner (but looking through the service history shows the private plate ) everythings not allways as it seems
Lizzy

blank

Post by Lizzy »

Go for a drive in as many as you can before you buy. I'd convinced myself to buy a 1.9 until I drove a 2.8 (by accident) I drove some lovely examples of both and some terrible ones. It will be a personal decision based on the kind of driving you enjoy.
Z3_TJK

M roadster S50

Post by Z3_TJK »

If I was you I’d look for a better condition (less miles etc) 2.8.

Prices will be starting to fall as the summer draws to an end.

Be prepared to shop around and thoroughly trawl the usual places to find the perfect car. I had quite strict criteria when I was looking for mine; specific colour, leather, low mileage, condition etc, and I didn't have to compromise on anything.

Be patient and the right car is out there!
Now: Z3M Estoril Blue
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Z3_TJK wrote:If I was you I’d look for a better condition (less miles etc) 2.8.
Prices will be starting to fall as the summer draws to an end.
Be patient and the right car is out there!
Try both and then look elsewhere for a better example if the 2.8 is your choice.

Cloz
Dr Shiny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dr Shiny »

Just to add my horribly biased views to the debate.............I'd go for the 2.8 every time.

If you don't do many miles the extra fuel consumption wont be a problem and the six cylinder engine is so lovely.

At the risk of annoying other 2.8 owners I think it is a lovely engine to drive slowly. The car is so tractable and will potter around nicely. When you want to boot it, you can...............say no more!

Good luck whatever you buy.

paul
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The allow block 2.8 engine is not a cause for concern in the handling department vs the 1.9, it's got a very good turn in (only about 15kg difference in engine weight). The M engine on the other hand is a lot heavier.
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Gill

I don't want to be a killjoy and take on board the comments regarding the number of previous owners of your prospective purchase, but I bought a 2.8 earlier this year which had 1 previous owner from new and a full BMW service history.

I started a thread detailing some of the issues that I experienced since buying the car, which you may like to follow;

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ht=#196813

I have since experienced further problems and additional costs. My point here is that fewer owners is no guarantee of a good car. I will admit to becoming frustrated with my Zed and have seriously considered selling it, but when it is running well. it is a joy to drive.

However, don't let my experiences put you off. I would baulk at a car with 10 previous owners but would certainly be looking for a six cylinder car. . . . . either the 2.2 or the 2.8, purely for the sound and feel of the engine.

Good luck with your search.

Malc

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

if you do go for a 1.9, just make sure that is a 16v and not 8v
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

henrycrun wrote:if you do go for a 1.9, just make sure that is a 16v and not 8v
Nothing wrong with the 8v, perfectly happy with mine with good low down pull. Just need to know how to use the engine to its full potential :wink:

If you want a later 1.9 then I think you have no choice but the 8v.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi Everyone
Thanks alot for all your advice including a few things i hadnt thought of or know about.
10 owners rang alarm bells straight away, it did seem an awful lot but looked a great car.

I will take your advice and wait for the right car, of course i want one yesterday but will drive a few before deciding. This would be my second car so there is no immediate rush. I have a TT coupe (dare i say on here) which I love, and want a stylish stable mate in a soft top, thats why i am going for the Z3 :) as another member said earlier, wait for the right one.
I will keep looking, any ideas for best place to look?
Thanks all,

Gill
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Seasurfer, best places are eBay, Pistonheads, Autotrader and of course on here.

You could start a "wanted" thread on the stock exchange part of the forum as there may be members on here thinking of selling :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
6 pot roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 6 pot roadster »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, so far I have only taken advice from other peoples threads.
but, when I saw this topic I had to say my piece.
The 2.8 manual drives like an auto and goes like a rocket, turns 34mpg and will I'm told break the national motorway speed limit!!!
the 1.9's I drove were no match...
Find the 2.8 for you and go and enjoy it..

J
nearly old

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nearly old »

Just find the best example you can doesnt realy matter what engine size because apart from track days where are you gonna use all that power? The z3 is not only a car that i think will gain in value its a pure work of art
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi All
Thanks for further info. I am still looking. I am being very patient, too patient i think, i want one yesterday but am holding out for most 'tick boxes' to be filled.
There was a superb example for sale on here last week but it was the same colour (silver) as my car at the moment which i am keeping, otherwise i would have followed that up immediately and had it on my drive by now :(
There is a really nice z3 a mile away from me but again, its silver :( :(
Colours i am looking for in order of preference are

Purple
Black
Any Blue

The beige interiors are definately out, I have seen some nice cars but couldnt live with that colour inside which unfortunatley alot seem to have.

Gill
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

Here is the holy grail of buying a Z3 -

1. Lowest milage as possible
2. New as possible
3. Fewest number of previous owners as possible
4. Buy right in the middle-late of December as possible, when nobody is looking for a cabrio.

My advice is go for the 2.8 if you only do 4,000 miles a year.

The difference between a good and poor example is only £1500-£2000 at most, less if you're careful - and the ownership and resale costs of getting the good example will pay for themselves three times over.

I'll just say one thing about this era of BMW's - ELECTRICS ELECTRICS ELECTRICS.
1998 2.8 M52TU, pre-facelift, hard top, montreal blue, tan interior, 91K
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi Thanks again everyone for the advice.

I think i am leaning more to the 2.8 but finding one near enough for me to see is proving a little difficult, they all seem to be far down south from me, but will keep up my daily search.
Gill
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

seasurfer wrote:I think i am leaning more to the 2.8 but finding one near enough for me to see is proving a little difficult
I'd definitely recommend going for any of the 6 cylinder engines, they sound lovely, epsecially with the roof down :D Good luck with the search
Image Image

Seduced by the zed side
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

I'd definitely recommend going for any of the 6 cylinder engines, they sound lovely, epsecially with the roof down :D Good luck with the search[/quote]

Hi, which size are the other 6 cylinders please? Sorry, I dont know much on the technical side about the Zed, yet, but learning quick :)

Gill
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi seasurfer

The 6-pots are 2.0, 2.2, 2.8 and 3.0 (the 3.0 replaced the 2.8). Some say that the 2.2 has the "nicest" sound but a 2.8 at full bore certainly provides a nice soundtrack. :D

Good luck with the quest - your Zed is out there waiting for you to find it.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Zed Carer wrote:Hi seasurfer

The 6-pots are 2.0, 2.2, 2.8 and 3.0 (the 3.0 replaced the 2.8). Some say that the 2.2 has the "nicest" sound but a 2.8 at full bore certainly provides a nice soundtrack. :D

Good luck with the quest - your Zed is out there waiting for you to find it.
Hi, I hope so. found a cracking 2000 3.0 but has been a cat d, stolen and no history for the first 7 years but there is for the last 2 years :(
found another too, perfect colour, purple, but chap sounded very dodgy and vague and couldnt answer any of my questions. Spoke to him twice and was same both times so i have passed on that one. It was supposed to be the perfect zed but then he knew nothing about it and said he couldnt really find out either. Very strange. Was it his to sell, i wonder.

Still Zedless :(
Gill
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

With regards to previous service history...if it was dealer maintained then I'm pretty sure you can get a basic history from BMW...might be worth looking into on the 3.0?!
MarkOliver

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by MarkOliver »

We might think about selling ours as we have been thinking about an M for some time now.

Colour - Cosmos Black

Face lift model – built 1999 (On a “T” plate)

M sport Red / Black interior (ext leather, walnut center console)

Heated / electric seats

Engine 2.8 (M52TU)

18 “ MV1 alloy wheels (new tyres)

57,000 miles

BMW Inspection 2 (end of March) – 5 green lights

Roll over hoops / BMW wind deflector etc

PM me if you are interested....the car is not advertised anywhere yet.
danieltharris

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by danieltharris »

The 6-cylinder engines are better. But any of them are decent. As said it depends what the roadster experience is about for you, as well as how many miles you will be doing, insurance costs etc.

I have the 1.9 16v and I really like it. Theres enough power for the weight of car to not feel sluggish and insurance is already high-ish for me on it anyway at 22.

I think the 2.8 has about 193bhp, which suprised me because I expected it to be more like 240-ish like the 2.7 Boxster. I'd get the 2.8 if you find a decent one and just hold out until you do.

I'm happy with my 1.9 until I can get a Z3 M Roadster, or possibly (don't kill me) a Porsche Boxster-S.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi, yes i have done a bit of research on the boxter too but it is still too expensive for me at the moment so i have wittled all choices i have down to the zed which hopefully will be a great little car for me and reasonable running costs too.

i am trawling daily through autotrader, pistonheads, ebay (in case near enough to see first, of course) and getting ideas of what is what and pricing etc. There is some very good advice on here, so i am taking it :) thank you all

Gill