New Windscreen

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New Windscreen

Post by Jamezee »

I have a small crack in my windscreen at eye level but behind the huge rear view mirror. National windscreens are having a look at it tomorrow (through my insurance). I dont know if they will repair it or replace it, if it is to be replaced they mentioned the glass being 'green tinted'. Is that standard?

Anyone had any dealings with them, and anything I need to watch out for?
SP30

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by SP30 »

Just had mine replaced as a couple of stone chips were beginning to bug me.
Just make sure it's not raining, and watch the screen surround doesn't lift on the corners, they will try to refit the old one.
ps: They can fit a top tint if you request one.
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Might be an oportunity to fit a chrome surround, if you have time to get one.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Thanks for the comments.

Well the national windscreen van turned up on time and with two staff. They had a look at the screen and decided it was repairable. The foreman dispatched the yts to get the repair kit from the van

"there aint no repair kit"

"look behind the seat"

"I have it aint there"

The foreman explained that they do not normally use this particular van (not exactly how he described it) and phoned the man who does.

To cut a long story short, they turned out to repair my screen without a repair kit and then asked me to re book for the repair.

Oh dear.

Anyone recommend a windscreen repair person?
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by trickyb »

In answer to your question above. No.

However, as a word of advice. I had my screen 'repaired' and regretted it for several months after everytime it rained. The wipers rubbing over the repair squeaked. And was it annoying? You bet your arse it was.

Slowly, probably over a year, the screen filler came out, but at least the squeaking stopped.

In the end, the small crack in the screen miraculously 'grew' big enough to justify a full replacement. Much better.