Airbag warning light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
zedder3

blank

Airbag warning light

Post by zedder3 »

Hi,

I just got my z3 on Thursday. The airbag light is on, the private seller knew of this and told me we could sort it out as it was from after a valet. Anyhow, he couldn't fit it in at the garage he knows until next Sat so I went to my local garage just now. Their computer "couldn't get onto the system" according to the mechanic. He said everything is safe etc. but they can't reset it. HAs anyone had this problem? Do I need to go to BMW to get it reset?

Thanks for your help.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

You shouldn't need to go to BMW to get it reset, any competent Indie with the right kit could do the job. Make sure that the garage are connecting via the diagnostic connector under the bonnet and not using the OBD port under the steering column. IIRC using the OBD port can cause a non-communication problem. If it still won't communicate then it looks like your ABS Control Unit has given up although this would be unusual. The most common cause of an airbag light in a z3 is an intermittent connection under one of the seats.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Airbag warning light

Post by gookah »

zedder3 wrote:. He said everything is safe etc. but they can't reset it. HAs anyone had this problem?

what he hasn't told you is that whilst the air-bag light is on, they are all disabled. Your airbags will not deploy, nor the seat belt tensioners activate, in the event of a crash.
I don't believe that classifies as 'everythng is safe', because you are not!

I had mine come on after a rain shower soaked the carpet (roof down) there are connectors under the seats for the tensioners that are linked in to the airbag circuit. They are a common cause of the light coming on as they can get disturbed moving the seats. Cost me £15 to have the light reset after a period letting it dry out.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

I had the same problem, I looked it up on here and then took it to an indie.

The the problem was the drivers seat wiring. Under the seat is a connection block for the seat eqipment and the belt tensioner. The connection block only has to be disturbed slightly which results in a intermitant break in the wiring and brings up the warning light

A trip to a auto electrician ( remove the seat, cut out the connection block and re-solder the wires back together) and a reset fixed the problem.

An hours labour and a 25 quid reset and nothing since

Hope this helps
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

Thanks everyone. Not impressed that he told me they work - I questioned it as I thought they wouldn't. Not good! WIll find an auto elec then and get it done asap
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

Thanks everyone. Not impressed that he told me they work - I questioned it as I thought they wouldn't. Not good! WIll find an auto elec then and get it done asap
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Just to let you know my air bag light came on, took it to a local auto electrician cost me £35 :bawl: but it solved to problem :)
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

Ok cool thanks. Going to call one tomorrow and get it sorted out :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you find that the problem persists after a reset, then it is most likely that you have a poor connection under the seat. BMW do supply a modified wiring loom that is supposed to fix the problem - I had it fitted to mine when my light came on.

The part number I got was 61.12.6.908.853, but this seems to have been superseded by 61.12.9.118.122 (part #3 here). I paid £25.80 back in 2005 - current price looks like it will be similar. Double-check the part number with the dealer when ordering.

Unless you did something like remove the seats without disconnecting the battery, then a new cable will pay for itself after a couple of resets.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

All sorted - so far so good. An auto electrician reset the airbag sensor and it is fine now.

Thanks for the advice everyone!