softtop questions with pic's .

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

softtop questions with pic's .

Post by Canman »

Hi , been doing a bit ofcleaning of the hood and have noticed a few things i have not seen before. firstly spotted these springs same on each side and they dont appear to do anything. anyone know what they are and where they go ? its a manual hood

next thing i have noticed it looks like i have lost a bit of the seal where the hood meets the rear wing on one side. does anyone know if i can get one and if so where from.

cheers any help appreciated.

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The springs tension the roof lining and the cords that they attached to are known for snapping - I think it is part #29 below - but I am sure you can make one out of some picture cord:

Folding top - BMW parts catalog

I think you are just missing the cap on the end of the seal - it is shown here - part #26 I think - should be able to order one from BMW dealer for a few pounds:

Folding top mounting parts - BMW parts catalog

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

I had the same problem. Cured it by using the strongest round black nylon shoelaces I could find. You will probably find that the anchor for the other end is still in the hood lining but if not a small electrical ring terminal bend double to form a hook is essentially the same thing. Check the tension by trial and error, when the hod is fully raise I have the spring extended by about 25% and that has been fine for over a year.
Good luck.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Good question Canman, I have the same probelm with mine. let us know how you get on
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

Mine hasnt got the roof lining (1.9 1998) so i dont have the springs 8-)
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

The lining tensioner is an easy fix. I did mine with some black nylon cord I found on the net and some Silver crimping rings I got from a "make your own jewelry" website.

I wanted the crimping rings so that I didn't have to knot the cord and I wanted the finished repair to look neat.

I can probably dig out some links if you need supplies. Alternatively I have most of the stuff I bought left over and if you are planning on joining us a Tatton Park this year we can look at it then.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

the missing seal. just spoke to Sytners Sheffield and most helpful and have orded the part 26 from above ( thanks Rob T ) £9.00 . part will be in today. just need to tackle the missing roof tensioner now. will keep you posted

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

Just what I needed (part 26) thanks for the info.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Dave L2 wrote:The lining tensioner is an easy fix. I did mine with some black nylon cord I found on the net and some Silver crimping rings I got from a "make your own jewelry" website.

I wanted the crimping rings so that I didn't have to knot the cord and I wanted the finished repair to look neat.

I can probably dig out some links if you need supplies. Alternatively I have most of the stuff I bought left over and if you are planning on joining us a Tatton Park this year we can look at it then.
Don't suppose you have any pictures or even any instructions on how you fixed this at all? I seem to have the same problem on mine and if its an easy fix I'll give it ago! Thanks :)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I'm not sure pictures will help, except to establish where the tension string routes or attaches.
Can you tell from the other side or have both of yours failed?
If you are stuck I'll try and post a picture if no-one else has by the time it stops raining ....

(EDIT - Pictures added 8 May - see later post)
Last edited by Titan on Sat 08 May, 2010 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Image :devil:
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

Dave L2 wrote:The lining tensioner is an easy fix. I did mine with some black nylon cord I found on the net and some Silver crimping rings I got from a "make your own jewelry" website.

yes will be joining you at Tatton so if i havent done it by then i'll take you up on your kind offer. Thanks Dave :thumb:

Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

You might need to send me a PM closer to the time to remind me to bring my equipment ;) but otherwise, no problem.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Dave L2 can be cheeky and ask you to have a look at mine as well?

Ta
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

fitted my part 26 today took all off 2 mins. i wondered if i would get 2 in the pack for the £9 but no they come single. so that job done. i had a right good rummage round and good inspection at to where my springs attach. cant find any evidence of any previous fixing or where anything has come adrift.
roll on Tatton and some expert help :D

Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Canman wrote:roll on Tatton and some expert help
Why wait for Tatton? :shrug
I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours at Newby :shock:
Could even take some pictures :wink:

As I recall it's a simple but very fiddly operation that ideally needs 3 hands in a space only big enough for one :o
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

i'll hold you to that then Titan. how will i ever find you amongst the mass of silver zeds or maybe you could wear a red carnation or carry a newspaper so i can identify you. :D

trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

my one on the drivers side is broke and have been meaning to fix it for ages.this post made me do something about it so ive ordered the one for the right hand side.the part numbers are Left tension rope 54318413877 or Right tension rope 54318413878. £15.67 plus £3.95 postage.not cheap but im feeling too lazy to make something to do the job .

http://www.cooper-bmw-parts.co.uk/index ... virtuemart
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

trigg35 wrote: £15.67 plus £3.95 postage.not cheap but im feeling too lazy to make something to do the job
You shouldn't need to "make" anything to do the job.
The bit that usually fails is a brass crimp which secures a loop in the nylon rope.
However, if your rope has failed somewhere else, then a replacement may be a more practical option.

For what it's worth, the short end of ours had slipped out of its crimp, leaving the brass bit still attached to the long end.
Having removed the loose crimp, I repaired it by simply re-threading the existing rope back through the metal eyelet and holding the loose ends in place with small mole grip.
I then added a cable tie too give an immediate bite before forming a sailor's lashing with strong cotton to re-create the crimp effect.
Finished it off with a blob of super glue and hid the repair under black insulating tape. Net cost not very much!

Here's the pictures later for those not coming to Newby Hall tomorrow:

Looking down from the LHS of the car this is the original LH "shrink wrapped" fixing. The brass crimp is shrouded inside it.

This is the RH side spring, still looking across from the LHS of the car.
You should be able to make out the cable tie and my best knitting :P

Hope these help!
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I'm starting to loose track here, do I need to bring stuff to Tatton or are you both going to fix them at Newby?
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

looking at those pictures i think the plastic lug on the steel frame that the chord goes through is missing, both sides. so may have to be a trip to the dealer. thanks for your help and we'll have a look tomorrow.
thanks too Dave , will let you Know if i get it fixed before tatton.
cheers K

Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Dave L2 wrote:I'm starting to loose track here, do I need to bring stuff to Tatton or are you both going to fix them at Newby?
Apologies Dave :o
I knew Canman was going to Newby so offered to help
I believe Fred'sDad may still need assistance though unless he can fathom out what goes where form this thread.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Thanks for the pictures i now know what to look for. This looks to be quite a simple fix I shall give it a go soon.
Last edited by g8jka on Sun 09 May, 2010 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Titan wrote:
Dave L2 wrote:I'm starting to loose track here, do I need to bring stuff to Tatton or are you both going to fix them at Newby?
Apologies Dave :o
I knew Canman was going to Newby so offered to help
I believe Fred'sDad may still need assistance though unless he can fathom out what goes where form this thread.
No apology nesecary, just wanted to make sure I was keeping up with what was going on :)
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I probably will need assistance at Tatton if this is ok. Mine seems to have bits missing.
I would like to see one made up correctly in the flesh so to speak before I let my bodging fingers have a go.
trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

got the part today and fitted it in 10 minutes.now when the hood goes back up the lining stays in place covering the framework. perhaps i should of tried to fix the old one.hard to believe this cost £19.42 with postage.when i opened the envelope it came in i thought "is that it!"

Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Well it's fairly obvious where and how the RH end (in your photo) attaches, but how does the LH end fix inside the hood lining???
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

but what does the Sky Remote fasten too ? :D

all my parts seem in tact and all i need to do is to loop the chord back around the spring loop and recrimp the chord . thanks Titan for taking the time to show me yours :oops:

and thanks to Dave for the offer of help . :wink: