Tonneau clips

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Stevie102

Z3 roadster 1.9

Tonneau clips

Post by Stevie102 »

My wife is a the proud owner of a 1999 Z3 Orinoco but is having real problems fitting and removing the tonneau cover.

The clips at the rear of the hoops seem very hard to get at, especially when trying to remove the cover. Lifting the cover to get your arm under to release the clip just creates extra grip on the clips themselves making it very difficult to disengage them.

Is there a knack to this?

On a related note, the metal 'collar' inside the clip on the drivers door side is missing. This means that the cover sits on the stud, rather than engaging. I asked BMW about a replacement clip but they said I'd have to buy the whole cover!

I'd like to swap one of the rears with the driver's door one but can't find any way of pulling or unscrewing them to get them out of the holes in the hood. Do they come apart?

Many thanks,

SteveO
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum, Steve.

BMW actually sell a repair kit for the tonnteau cover - part 23 below - but the price seems to be rather high - may be a mistake, but I fear not.

Folding top mounting parts - BMW parts catalog

AFAIK they are just Tenax fasteners that are used on all kinds of things including a lot of roofs on classic cars. They normally come apart by unscrewing the ring piece on the bottom which often have little cutouts in them so you can get hold of them - at least this is what the ones I fitted to my other cars tonneau cover had - not taken my BMW ones apart to see.

As far as the easiest way of fitting the tonneau cover goes, my technique is very simple - extend loft ladder, throw tonneau cover in loft, retract ladder and close hatch, leave there for 11 years. :D

Am sure someone posted up an easy way of fitting it not long ago, but can't just remember who - am sure they will be along in a minute.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike123

M roadster S50

Releasing Tonneau Clips

Post by Mike123 »

One answer is to leave the centre clips unfastened - it certainly stays in place, but also allows more dirt and dust to find its way into the folded hood.

The best solution I've found is to undo the side clips and release the tonneau around its edges. With the centre clips still fastened, lift the tonneau sufficiently to fold the sides under (to their stored position). The tonneau can then be raised to give adequate access to the centre clips without strain.

You can reverse the process to allow simpler clip fixing.

It's easier to do than explain! If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll post some pics.

I've seen a couple of Zs with the tonneau fitted at the clips but just resting on the lip - it tucks in neatly around the sides and rear - apologies if you already know.
Stevie102

Z3 roadster 1.9

Releasing tonneau clips

Post by Stevie102 »

Thanks Mike.

Not sure I could persuade my wife to put the cover in the attic though..... I'll take a look and see if the clips unscrew later this week.

Rob, if you could post some pic's that would be a big help.

SteveO
Muzz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Muzz »

This might help with putting the cover on,BUT be warned the music is awfull turn your volume down :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ow4TRMYSA
Its a hairdressing thing.......................you would'nt understand
Stevie102

Z3 roadster 1.9

Tonneau clips

Post by Stevie102 »

First class video Muzz and you're right about the music...........

Spoke with BMW again and they confirmed that the clips are not sold separately so I'll be looking to swap them over.

Great forum here - I spend a lot of time on the Pistonheads site getting help for my TVR 'S' but this is much better for BMW info!!

SteveO
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Muzz wrote:This might help with putting the cover on,BUT be warned the music is awfull turn your volume down :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ow4TRMYSA

This worked for me Steve, after watching the video putting the tonneau on is a doddle now. :D

Ragtop
Mike123

M roadster S50

Fixing Tonneau

Post by Mike123 »

The video shows exactly what I tried to describe. Reverse the process to remove.

Saved me getting the Brownie out! :thumb:
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

This vid was posted a couple of years ago and is the only sensible way to work the cover :zmurf:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Daz2626

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Daz2626 »

I got clips from these guys! Loads cheaper than the "Repair Kit" :D

http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_ ... __165.html
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

or just store the cover in the loft
Stevie102

Z3 roadster 1.9

Tonneau fitting

Post by Stevie102 »

Tried the 'video' method of fitting the tonneau last night and it worked a treat. No more broken fingernails for my better half!

She's away for a couple of days so I'll try to split the tenax clips on the weekend.

One last question, hopefully, does the outer edge of the tonneau need to be tucked in to the bodywork or just left resting on the wings/boot?

Thanks to everyone for the help.

SteveO
Mike123

M roadster S50

Re: Tonneau fitting

Post by Mike123 »

Stevie102 wrote:Tried the 'video' method of fitting the tonneau last night and it worked a treat. No more broken fingernails for my better half!

She's away for a couple of days so I'll try to split the tenax clips on the weekend.

One last question, hopefully, does the outer edge of the tonneau need to be tucked in to the bodywork or just left resting on the wings/boot?

Thanks to everyone for the help.

SteveO
See the video and my previous comment - the tonneau tucks in neatly inside the lip all round.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I think the tenax clips got 1/2 inch longer towards the end of the vehicle's production run becasue the tonneau was so tricky to fit.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Yes the rear and sides of the cover get tucked in under the bodywork to give a neater and more finished look. I tried removing the cover the opposite way to the install process as shown in the video and found it a lot easier to get it off as to previous methods used :lol:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Stevie102

Z3 roadster 1.9

Tonneau clips

Post by Stevie102 »

Thanks again everyone, she's now flying, top down, up the M6 toward Bolton and over the Pennines later.