Turtle Wax Soft Top Cleaner/Proofer and Blanket

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Milo

blank.gif

Turtle Wax Soft Top Cleaner/Proofer and Blanket

Post by Milo »

Evening all.

When I bought my MX5 two years ago (recently replaced by the Z3) I bought the Turtle Wax roof cleaner & proofer. I've read some of the posts about similar products but haven't heard any mention of this one. Does anyone have any experience in having used this? Also my roof is blue - do I need to be worried about this or any other roof cleaner/proofer affecting the colour?

In addition does anyone use the rear window blanket? Does it work? Is it worth buying?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Put a new rear window in mine and put the roof down just once without a blanket and it now has a line across the screen. It may well come out with polish,but I now use a rear screen blanket every time. No more damage since using it :)
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I never put the roof down without using a widow blanket, even though I have a power hood and it means getting out to put it in place. There is no trace of a crease/line in mine. I also have a soft cloth laying across behind the seats where the roof lays when it is down.
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

I used the Turtle Wax Cleaner/Proofer on my wife's MGTF roof when she had it and have since used the Auto Glym equivalent product on my Zed. In my opinion, the AG cleaner/proofer is far superior, allowing the water to bead on the fabric roof, as it would on well polished paintwork. A note of caution, though, don't allow the proofer to get on your paintwork.

I can't vouch for your ability to use it on fabric other than black, but as it is only a cleaner and not a dye, I wouldn't have thought that it would be a problem.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Roof cleaner is just washing powder and water. After all, it's just a sheet of cloth like any other.

The protector on the other hand I found the turtle wax one washed away in the rain far quicker than Renovo.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Geoff H wrote:I never put the roof down without using a widow blanket, .
how can you take a blanket off someone who has just lost their loved one? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Milo

blank.gif

Post by Milo »

Thanks for those replies.

Looks like I'll not be using the Turtle Wax product but will try one of the others.

Where can I buy a blanket from? Are Z3 Solutions in the US the only seller or is there somewhere else?
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Milo wrote:Where can I buy a blanket from? Are Z3 Solutions in the US the only seller or is there somewhere else?
I have the Roadster Solutions one http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page3.html#17 but I don't use it as I prefer to use a home made one, easy to make using a sheet of foam and get somebody/partner to make a soft cloth "pillowcase" cover to put the foam in
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

If you get the genuine BMW blanket it has two straps that clip onto the roof rails and hold it in place as the roof lowers. Keep your eye on ebay as they do come up frequently.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Hang_em_high wrote:If you get the genuine BMW blanket it has two straps that clip onto the roof rails and hold it in place as the roof lowers.
So does the Roadster Solutions one
Milo

blank.gif

Post by Milo »

Geoff H wrote:
Milo wrote:Where can I buy a blanket from? Are Z3 Solutions in the US the only seller or is there somewhere else?
I have the Roadster Solutions one http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page3.html#17 but I don't use it as I prefer to use a home made one, easy to make using a sheet of foam and get somebody/partner to make a soft cloth "pillowcase" cover to put the foam in
So if you don't use you one would you willing part with it for a sensible consideration?
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Milo wrote: So if you don't use you one would you willing part with it for a sensible consideration?
Yes .... PM me with a offer

The Roadster Solutions window blanket
Last edited by Geoff H on Sat 29 May, 2010 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
KingCarl

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by KingCarl »

yep can only confirm the use of a widow (sic) blanket - never put the roof down without it - on offer at present for $39.95 USD from that fantastic Roadster solutions mob ....
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Our rear screen was badly scratched when we bought the car, even though the BMW blanket and case were neatly stowed in the boot :head:
Having polished the screen the marks are still present but much less noticeable.
Now we usually install the cat blanket LINKbefore embarking on a long journey, or before fitting the hard lid for winter.
For short journeys round town, it is left unprotected.
However it's amazing just how much scratching occurs on a 2 mile trip to the shops.
Image :devil:
Milo

blank.gif

Post by Milo »

Geoff H wrote:
Milo wrote: So if you don't use you one would you willing part with it for a sensible consideration?

Did you get my PM? Thanks.
Milo

blank.gif

Post by Milo »

Geoff H wrote:

TaffZee

blank

Stop The Creases!

Post by TaffZee »

I use a rolled up beach towel. Roll the towel to form a sausage, as you lower the roof place it against the window and push slightly, this forms a nice smooth position for the window with no creases.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Milo wrote:
Geoff H wrote:

Cheque arrived lunchtime, just posted it First Class Post, Hope you use it more than I did (Used Once)