Gear knob loose

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Gear knob loose

Post by GazHyde »

Hi all,

Searching for "gear knob coming off in my hand" doesn't yeild any meaningful results :shock:

Is there any way I can stop the thing coming off? It's happened a couple of times now - mainly on a "spirited take off" at a junction when I really need it to be in the correct place...!

Thanks in advance.

Gaz.

PS I was sooooo tempted to get a few knob jokes in, but resisted the urge!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Gaz,

Your knob is kept in check by pure tighness of fit so I would have thought the only remedy would be to pull it off and put something around the tip of the shaft, maybe some cord tape so it will take up the slack. I wouldn't glue it, otherwise invest in a nice new shiny one that nice and tight :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

The gear knob is a friction fit. Perhaps you are not clicking it back into place fully or it is worn and needs replacing. Consider a Storm Motorwerkz.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

There is a black plastic flange and if it breaks, like mine did, the knob comes off or tends to rotate when you change gear forcefully. I put plastic tape around the top and just pushed the knob back on. So far so good.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Ah that sounds simple then, in summary... I need to wrap something rubber round the shaft before I slide it on :shock:

I'll have a look should the rain clouds pass this weekend.

Thanks all.
Jays

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jays »

I've one of those weighted ZHP knobs I got for my Z4. I'd have put in on my Z3 except that its not illuminated and has the six speed pattern on it.

If you can live with that and don't mind an M Sport logo on it you are welcome to it at a very cheap price
:roll: