Erratic Revs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Erratic Revs

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

Had my first little prob driving into work this morning :(

After about 2 miles from cold and idling the revs were stuck at 1500, thought the carpet mat was stuck under the throttle :roll: It stayed like this until I reached work. Switched the engine off and started up again and the revs were around 800 but hunting going down to 500 and upto a 1000. Switched the engine off and started again and all seemed fine and idling around 800, very slight drop in revs occasionally but I'm guessing the engine was upto operating temp by then. I noticed last night the engine felt a little lumpy when I arrived home although the day before I had filled right up with fuel and wonder if its off slightly. Will see what its like when going home tonight when the engine is cold again.

Any ideas?,

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Clean the ICV, change the Cam Position sensor.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

estocks wrote:Clean the ICV, change the Cam Position sensor.
Cheers for that :) will have a look at these.

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Update, Zed ran faultless after work this evening although ambient air temp was alot higher than 7am this morning, anyways revs was rock steady at idle so maybe Basil was just grumpy earlier on :drive Dunno see how it goes.

Tim.
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

I just had almost exactly the same thing - found a big tear in the rubber elbow clamped to the air intake on the side of the engine.

£9 for a new elbow from BMW, an hour to fit. Tricky, but easy fix.

I diagnosed this by unhooking the MAF sensor just behind the air box, and running the engine - it ran fine without the sensor - the ECU must default to a sensible value given that more air was getting into the engine than the ECU knew about, presumably causing it to run increasingly lean as the tear grew...?

You might like to check if you have any similar tears.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I would second the intake air leak as although a different engine I have also experienced similar with a split elbow pipe and also a perished rubber bung which blocks up an unused port on the manifold.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks chaps, will have a good look tomorrow, check hoses etc.

Tim.