Squeaking Noise at low RPM

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Squeaking Noise at low RPM

Post by kayone »

I've had this for few months now but it's been gradually driving me mad - so I'd like to understand what exactly it may be and whether it's a simple task to resolve.

It happens when in very low revs - mainly when taking off coming from the front of the car - could it be a clutch issue?

Any experience with this?
hornel Z3M

blank

noise

Post by hornel Z3M »

It could be one of the belts, they get dry in the hot weather and squeak.
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: noise

Post by kayone »

hornel wrote:It could be one of the belts, they get dry in the hot weather and squeak.
Anyways of checking the belts - as it doesn't do it when stationary?
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be?

It's fairly loud and very annoying :(
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

It may seem a strange idea,but spray a little WD40 on the business side of the belt(s) with the engine running.I have used this method for eons and no it won't make the belt slip.

Be careful not to get tied up in the pulleys. :shock:

If that does not stop the squeak,it isn't the belt(s).

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

what is the service interval to change belts? I have a squeek i know is the belt when the engine is ticking over. Thought i might just get it changed?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

BenZ3-2.0 wrote:what is the service interval to change belts? I have a squeek i know is the belt when the engine is ticking over. Thought i might just get it changed?
The drive belts are not mentioned in my BMW service booklet but Bentleys states that belt condition and tension is a Service 2 item.Belts are usually replaced when cracks appear on the driving face which can be seen where the belt is bent around a tensioner or idler pulley which runs on the back of the belt.

BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

yep i can see cracks, going to get mine changed then. From memory its just a single belt...?
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

Frank.A wrote:It may seem a strange idea,but spray a little WD40 on the business side of the belt(s) with the engine running.I have used this method for eons and no it won't make the belt slip.

Be careful not to get tied up in the pulleys. :shock:

If that does not stop the squeak,it isn't the belt(s).
Thanks! going to have a gander under the lid at the belts tonight.
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

Gave them a brief spraying with WD40 - however the squeaking still remains. (had a bit of smoke too from what I can only assume from the oil on the belts)

Any other ideas guys?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Does your 1.9 have aircon?If so you will have 2 drive belts,one for the aircon and one for the water pump and alternator.Each of these drive belts has a tensioner roller and maybe there will be an additional idler roller near the alternator.

As the pulleys/tensions rotate at different speeds it is sometimes possible to determine which is creating the noise by simply watching and listening.

I would suspect first, either a tensioner or idler roller and then the water pump.

If you are careful and don't touch any rotating parts it is possible to use a long srcewdriver as a stethoscope by placing the blade end at various points on the engine and put your ear on the handle.This can pinpoint the area of the noise.

If you remove the aircon belt that could eliminate one area.

Good Luck and post how you get on.

kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

The problem I have is that on tickover there's no squeak what so ever. It's only on the initial take-off during minmal RPM where the squeak occurs (in all gears) mainly audible in 2nd whilst accelorating once the car's down to a fairly steady speed but not stantionary.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Does it occur when you press the clutch pedal down or when the clutch is taking up the drive?

If it's the first it sounds like the release bearing and second,clutch fristion plate.

kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

Frank.A wrote:Does it occur when you press the clutch pedal down or when the clutch is taking up the drive?

If it's the first it sounds like the release bearing and second,clutch fristion plate.
It cannot happen when the clutch is down as it's purely when i'm initially movingat very low rpm, i.e being pulled, drive (clutch fully up)

Does that help? :)
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

What mileage has the car done?Have the belts ever been changed?

I would still favour the condition of the belts or belt tension to be the cause.Check the drive side of the belts for cracks where they run around a tensioner or idler roller.

If there are any cracks they need renewing.Belt tension can be checked by twisting the belt on its longest run.You should be able to twist it through about 90degs.

kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

Frank.A wrote:What mileage has the car done?Have the belts ever been changed?

I would still favour the condition of the belts or belt tension to be the cause.Check the drive side of the belts for cracks where they run around a tensioner or idler roller.

If there are any cracks they need renewing.Belt tension can be checked by twisting the belt on its longest run.You should be able to twist it through about 90degs.
Appreciate the help & advice Frank - will check tonight :)
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

kayone wrote:
Frank.A wrote:What mileage has the car done?Have the belts ever been changed?

Appreciate the help & advice Frank - will check tonight :)

Update.. tried some more WD40 isn't cutting it I dont think as it't still highly audible when initially pulling off.

Checked the tightness seems fairly tight to be fair the thicker belt on the right the belt of the left which i assume is the AC seems a little looser.

Maybe time for a change? (113k miles) Not sure when it was changed last.
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

Still being plagued with this!

Seems to be happening when the car begins to initially pull (i.e in 2nd gear when moving very slowly sub 5mph say)

Pretty sure it's not the belts (WD40'd & seem fairly tight) any other ideas before I take it too a garage for them to diagnose?
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Sounds like it's time to take it in, a good garage should diagnose it easily.
First though, as it only happens when the car is moving slowly it's worth checking the brake / handbrake pads are not sticking and rubbing slightly, you often only hear them squeal at very low speed.
Try jacking up each wheel in turn and spinning, it's worth doing this occasionally to check for rubbing, saves on petrol, brake pads and discs.
Good luck.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

DC wrote:Sounds like it's time to take it in, a good garage should diagnose it easily.
First though, as it only happens when the car is moving slowly it's worth checking the brake / handbrake pads are not sticking and rubbing slightly, you often only hear them squeal at very low speed.
Try jacking up each wheel in turn and spinning, it's worth doing this occasionally to check for rubbing, saves on petrol, brake pads and discs.
Good luck.
Yea it's a strange one really driving me nuts!

Not sure it's the pads/braking etc as rolling etc it's perfect it's only when the car is pulling drive-wise.
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

Tear in the air intake pipe. Drove me mad for ages.
kayone

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kayone »

Dropping it for an oilchange today - so I'm going to have them have a look around the belts and I have no idea when they were last changed.

What price should I be looking at for this?