UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
zyborg

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Air filter, anyone heard of this brand?

Post by zyborg »

Hi all

Was bidding on this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... CO:GB:1123

But got outbid...but within moments got a second chance offer. Think the description got me carried away, been into BMW for years but actually never heard of this make.

Been offered it for £30, bargain or a rather good write up on a five quid filter?

Cheers
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jackster »

Hi I did a quick search on google and all that came up was a query from a guy with a z4 and another with a 5 series along the same lines as your question. Might be interesting to see the article in the performance mag but I think the old adage of if it looks to good to be true, etc. Not much info available for one of the most sought after BMW mods.

just my 2 cents
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Im watching them too, for something thats supposed to be rare he lists plenty of them :? I would be interested to know what the actual quality is like.
Now for sale £6000 Ono
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rare

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The only rare thing about it would be any increase on power or torque! As fitted in the pictures it will simply inhale hot air from inside the engine bay, which will increase the risk of pinking, and reduce engine output.

If you want inlet noise, then I guess it is for you - but don't expect anything else.

Make yourself a decent cold air intake, which will improve matters. Mine cost about £3 for B&Q drainpipe fittings - see my bit in the Z3 Knowledgebase.
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

looks like tat to me. Get a simota.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I agree with Mike, if you fit an "open" filter like this you've gotta fit a good heatshield or you will just be sucking hot engine air and willloose power (you need as cold air as possible to get a better "detonation" with fuel mix and hence more power).

The Simota /GruppeM are the best non OEM solutions to me as they have an inbuilt carbon heatshield and the fit to the external airflow is about as good as you can get short of a full CSL system (which is c£2k :shock: ).

With non ///M you would be better improving the external air intake path first, then simota, then exhaust path / remap :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
zyborg

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by zyborg »

Thanks everyone, I quite fancy that induction roar, however chav that is :o
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

If it is the most sought after air filter ever, how come no one has ever heard of it :? :lol:
Last edited by Hang_em_high on Wed 11 Aug, 2010 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Hang_em_high wrote:If it is the most sought after air filter, ever how come no one has ever heard of it :? :lol:
Very good point. Mike your mod is on my list of things to do and I plan to take the cold air feed a step further so im not going too worry to much about a heat shield as its as far forward as it can go right now with two cold air feeds on the cards :wink:
Now for sale £6000 Ono