45%
No
55%

Total votes: 60

w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

De-chroming. Black grill & Carbon badges

Post by w4tkins »

I have been thinkg about this for a while. Not to everyones taste but I quite like it.I have looked at Hang_em_High's car and it looks fantastic.

I think Mine being a dark colour would benifit from the a black grill and a full set of carbon fibre badges. The badges I have found dont look like the normal tacky carbon look stuff. They look like a OEM item

My car has only got the chrome on the kidney grill, badges, steering wheel and wheel caps oh and the boot open assit. I think that it would set the car off nicely due to the contrast in colours. Plus I dont like shiny chrome :?

Here is my car at the moment:

The grill:

The badge set:
You opinions will be very helpful

Thanks, w4tkins
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Sounds good, but I would photoshop edit your car to see if the changes look better or worse. Stick a photoshop lookalike on here and we'll let you know.
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Good thinking :thumb:

I will get my photo shop expert on it
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

All Black

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I think that it wil llook to similar to the current look, the only difference being that the grille surrounds will be black - just more black.

Why not first try spraying the grilles in the same silver as the rest of the car? This will make the chrome surrounds stand out, and the grilles blend in. All you need is an aerosol can.

Black-everything is thrown at us all the time (by people who make money from it!) but colour matching is more subtle and (for my money) better.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: All Black

Post by w4tkins »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I think that it wil llook to similar to the current look, the only difference being that the grille surrounds will be black - just more black.

Why not first try spraying the grilles in the same silver as the rest of the car? This will make the chrome surrounds stand out, and the grilles blend in. All you need is an aerosol can.

Black-everything is thrown at us all the time (by people who make money from it!) but colour matching is more subtle and (for my money) better.
Cheers Mike.

The car is actualy steel grey :shock:. I dont really like the colour coded grill look, sorry. Plus I want the keep my current grill as a spare incase I change my mind.

I will try the photo shop look first and that might help.

Thanks for the input :thumb:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Colour Matched

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Each to his own - but how about spraying the chrome surrounds in body colour? All black will just llok like monster grilles.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I have the black grill like you have pictured. They are a pretty good fit and easier to get on/off than the OEM ones.

I was not sure at first but the black grill grew on me. I've put a chrome one back on but I think the black will be going back on again :roll:

Re the other badges from the ones I have seen they fall into 3 catagories:

- the worst = printed transfers
- OK = proper centres but stuck on non OEM backs
- the best = proper centres stuck on OEM backs (you can tell as they have the BMW part numbers on)

The ones you have linked to are the "OK" ones. You can get away with them on the wheel centres as you do not look too closely but IMHO they do not look anywhere near as good on the boot/bonnet as the OEM backed ones (which have the silver edges).

I had the OEM backed ones on mine and only swapped for AC Schnitzer ones (which are still OEM backs :wink: )

Hope that makes sense

nb it explains why the best ones are much more expensive as they have to source OEM backs to make them :rtm:

ps I think the carbon badges would look great on your car, the grill you would have to try and be prepared for mixed responses. (also I sourced the grill for £17 but £12 delivery but was still the cheapest option so search eBay properly)
Last edited by Jonttt on Wed 25 Aug, 2010 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I think it looks OK as it is :shock:
Jonttt blacked his and still couldn't decide which he preferred
There are a couple of pics in THISthread
Image :devil:
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Black grilles all the way, they look far better. dont spray them, they will chip and its a nasty way of doing it. colour coded grilles just look tacky.

go black, although i am biased !

Still modifying
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

Don't do it!
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Ill be having a black grille for mine once Im back from hol and the saving can stop :D Thinking about doing carbon badges too but still undecided. I would love a set of badges with red segments instead of blue if anyones ever seen them???
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Rob, I think the black grills will look great :lol: although I think they would look even better in gloss black, like Jon, if you don't like em you can easily swap back.

The badges, sorry I'm not a fan at all of these, I just think they look too Carnoisseur/Halfords, I think the blue/white propellor should stay :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

A few visual stimulants courtesy of photoshop:

THIS ONE IS ONLY US MESSING ABOUT

Last edited by w4tkins on Wed 25 Aug, 2010 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Well you know which way im voting :D
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Hang_em_high wrote:Well you know which way im voting :D
Cheers Nick :thumb:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

w4tkins wrote:A few visual stimulants courtesy of photoshop
Still not convinced but it does look like you have matching black stains underneath :shock:
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Titan wrote:
w4tkins wrote:A few visual stimulants courtesy of photoshop
Still not convinced but it does look like you have matching black stains underneath :shock:
Very observant of you Titan :D
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

I really like the carbon badges I think they go great with the colour of your car. I was looking at the green version for mine... can't decide.

Don't like your "playing about" one though it looks really chavvy with the gold letters. :shock:

Don't like the grill though I'm afraid - but hey it's your car.. :thumb:
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

The carbon gills look to much but other than that I think it will look 8-) on your car, its the right colour to carry it off.
Now for sale £6000 Ono
CP00black

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by CP00black »

I would and voted accordingly.. but ours is black and we would have to get rid of all the amber lenses. Im pondering painting the calipers in amber and see if its a valid route.. maybe amber bolts on black alloys and so on..!? :shock: :idea: :?:

I think yours is dark enough but I would say no on a light one.

-P
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

The badges go well with your grey car but the grills would only really suit a "stealth" black car. But what does it matter it's your car and what you like that counts and ba**s to the style police. :)
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

My thoughts:

Black Grill Takes away the cars Character (I like chrome)
Badges: mmmmm? look ok but prefer the original.

But if you dont like them you can always take them off.

Cars looks are a Personnel choice, so if your happy with it Do It...

Jim
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi, i would say yes, badges and front grilles would suit your car very well.

Gill :wave
[/url]
ImageImageImage
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Carbon badges look very good IMO.

Colour coded grills look shockingly bad IMO.

All-black grills look a bit dodge to me too, and the chrome actually looks good on that grey colour so I would be tempted to leave it. The half-way alternative for the grills it to remove them and paint the outer edges satin black leaving the chrome slats as they are, this tones down the chrome without blacking it out. A very good look IMO.

Definintely fit the badges all round - as you can see in the photoshop it looks good, especially with the grey paint. The blue and white roundels, however original, don't always go well with the car colour). Don't blacken the side gills though as in that 2nd picture!
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Thanks for the replys :thumb:

The carbon look side grill was a mess about on photoshop, my friend who did it wanted to see what people would say. They are not going to be wrapped :shake:

I am still torn with the carbon badges, I think they would look good but the only way to know is to buy a set :shock:

The grill on the otherhand I think will look good. My OEM one does not have the chrome fins they are matt black. Tho only chrome on the grill is the outer edge. I have made a better photoshop to show the exact grill I am looking at:

I is a deep version (the same as the OEM) rather than the others advertised on the net where the fins at flush with the other grill. On the very outer edges the fins are reseset back into the grill. I did think about spraying the chrome outer edge but if I wanted to change my mind I would have to buy a new grill :head:

Image.

On another not, photshop is a fantastic tool, if you can imagane it, it can be done :D
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Just my two cents: black plastic grills look to be exactly what they are - black plastic grills! Look good on Astra's etc.

Time better spent on cleaning and painting the calipers (and looks good)!

Regards.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Mr Silver wrote:Just my two cents: black plastic grills look to be exactly what they are - black plastic grills! Look good on Astra's etc.

Time better spent on cleaning and painting the calipers (and looks good)!

Regards.
Cheers Mr Silver,

The calipers are being sent off in the winter for a full overhaul and poweder coat in black as well as the wheels in BMW silver. Whilest they are being done I need someting to do :lol: (the underneith of the car is very clean too, maybe I could repaint the diff :shock: )
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

Do it, i have mine done for an age and oculd never go book. Actually dont like the chrome on the Zeds when i see it now!!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

chrome:

black:

I still like the black :D
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

Hi Rob . think the carbon badges look brilliant on steel grey really suit it and add a touch of individuality. You have a spare set of side grills so if you change your mind its not too big a problem.
As for the black grill im not to sure. to be honest the kidney grills are my least favourite body styling aspect of the zed. i think maybe leave the chrome ones on as you do have the chrome boot lift assist in chrome, so unless you can source a black one of those too.

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

I like the all black grill but only on black cars. Was talking about this recently, why dont you get the oem chrome grill but change the outside to black so u have black trim with the chrome insert?
Someone posted a pic of it and it looks really good. Not to much chrome but also not to black.
Thinking of doing this myself soon.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi w4tkins

Here is an idea for you, buy the carbon badges, put them on, and if you dont like them i will buy them off you :D cos i know i would like them on mine, and you dont buy them for nothing and i know i will have the right part and not a copy :wink:

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Daz 999

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Daz 999 »

Here is a car that was for sale on gumtree over here in NI back in June. Plenty of pics with what looks like the carbon / black badges

http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/43/60912643.html
ImageImageImage

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

I'm honestly not sure - i like the chrome on mine as i think it works really nicely with the Estoril Blue but on yours, the Steel Grey/Black combo could look really sweet :) . I'm also thinking about the Carbon badges aswell although i like the blue ones.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Difficult decision on the grills, I do think the black looks good on Jonttts Zed as theres a good contrast with the paint work, but unsure against grey :|

Chrome suits as gives the Zed the retro appeal for me :) why I like the chrome gills.

Still don't like the carbon badges, they look too naff to me :(

Tim.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Too many people to quote but:

Jonttt:

Those black grills look MINT!!! I must say they suit your car very well. They match the headlights and the tinted indicators/bumper side lights very well. Top job mate :thumb: Where did you get them from???

Canman/TitanTim

The badges are really growing on me. I can understand what Tim and jonttt say, cheaper one do look tacky. The eBay dealer I have found puts the C/F badge on OEM backs. I have also seen cheap looking C/F ones that do give the Halfords affect.

gypsycatcha

I don’t have the chrome inserts and I can’t really stand chrome. Little is ok but I want something not to OTT but to say this is mine. Plus don’t want to paint my OEM ones just in case

seasurfer

Gill, Thanks for the encouragement, I think it looking good and from the link below from Daz 999 I think they still have the OEM quality look. I can confirm you have first refusal on the badges if I don’t like them :thumb:

Daz 999

Thanks very much for the link. It has really helped, also I feel quite good at the Photoshop thing now (they look identical, oh cheers Rich for the help). I think the ones I have found on eBay look a bit better quality :oops:. The car in the link, the badges don’t really show off the C/F weave.

As Kev (Canman) put earlier. I do have a set of spare side grills. I got them off eBay for £15 delivered in mint condition in the original box with the OEM instructions. I stripped them down ready for a coat of steel grey (just in case) . I have also emailed the eBay seller about an order of:

1x OEM backed bonnet badge 82mm
1X OEM backed boot badge 78mm
2x OEM backed side grill badges 78mm
4 x OEM backed wheels centre caps
1 x Steering wheel badge.

For the above - the side grill badges is £44 delivered. I have asked for a deal on the lot. Also just need to decide on the grill :D

Plus I can always change my mind if I don’t like it. Still though, your comments are welcome :D. Still not quite there yet to put my hands in my pocket as I hopefully need to pay for my ///Mirrors
:shock:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I'd be up for a full set of those badges, they look quality. can you get a group buy if there's enough interest W4tkins ?

Mark
Still modifying
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Thats a good idea Mr Dastardly, i'd be in for that.

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Noobmuch

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Noobmuch »

I'm not sure that I like the Black grills. :?
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

I have looked again at the badge set. Going by what Jonttt said they do drop into the catagory of "OK". They are mounted on OEM backs that have a stick on emblem. This does make them look a bit off. Also the kit pictured above is wrong. You need:

2x 82mm badges (front/back)
2x 78mm badges (side grills)
4x wheels caps (need to measure my OEM ones properly)
1x steering wheels badge (the above picture does not have the OEM look silver outer ring)

I have looked on ebay and found a UK dealer that looks to be selling a better quality item. I was given a catalogue by Hang_em_High but his ebay seller does not stock any BMW badges any more :head: The cost is more but I'd rather pay a bit more for better quality

I think these look better quality, what do you think????

The bonus with this item is that the given part number is an exact match to the RealOEM part :D

82mm = 51 14 8 132 375
The 78 mm badge has the wrong part number but I have measured mine and it is 78mm

I would be up for organising a group buy but would want to get a set first to inspect the quality before I recommend them to others. I will email the seller and try and speak to him on the phone to sort something out.

Let me know what you think

:thumb:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I understood the boot badge to be the same size as the ones on the gills - when I replaced my gill badges I am sure I ordered 2x trunk lid badges. :?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Robert T wrote:I understood the boot badge to be the same size as the ones on the gills - when I replaced my gill badges I am sure I ordered 2x trunk lid badges. :?

Cheers R.
The part number off the side grill badges I have in my hand are:

51 14 1970248. and is 78MM

the front/rear badge is:

51 14 8 132 375 and 82MM

You may be right Rob and the boot badge fits. I haven't tryed it but it does dool tight :?:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

w4tkins wrote: I would be up for organising a group buy but would want to get a set first to inspect the quality before I recommend them to others. I will email the seller and try and speak to him on the phone to sort something out.

Let me know what you think
I'd be interested in a set if you managed to set something up Rob.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

For non ///M Z3's the front and rear badges are the same (fitted some to my brothers car and just ordered 2 of the same).

Note on ///M's the rear is not the same (you need rear e30 fitment as the base is contoured and not flat :wink: )
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Fot those interested I hace created a Gropu Buy Thread

w4tkins :thumb:
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

how about these Rob :roll:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

:shock: :shake: errrrrrr......................
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Canman wrote:how about these Rob :roll:
Oh I just bought a set of those :shock: :lol:

Just kiddin :wink: I think those just stick over the existing grill surrounds :?

Have bought a set of these though, which I think will look quite nice :lol:

Tim.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Slightly OT but does anyone know if BMW fitted the carbon effect badges as standard to any of their cars? (M3 CSL maybe?)
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

myredzed wrote:Slightly OT but does anyone know if BMW fitted the carbon effect badges as standard to any of their cars? (M3 CSL maybe?)
I haven't looked but if they were standard they should appear on OEM.
Conversely, the trade mark is the blue and white "propeller" derived from the Bavarian flag and it seems unlikely that this would be altered.