2000 with 157,000 on clock

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

2000 with 157,000 on clock

Post by Radlitt »

Hello,
I am itching to buy a Z3 and noticed on Autotrader a 2000 on a V with 157,000 miles on the clock, is this amount of miles anything to be concerned about?

Cheers
Jeremy
flames247

M roadster S50

Post by flames247 »

Hi there,

What engine size is it?

To be honest.. that is alot of millage on any car BUT if it has a full documented service history these engines will keep going and going if cared for.

My main worries would be with parts such as suspension, steering, brakes, bushes, ball joints and condition of safety equipment etc.

If the car has been cleaned / garaged and well maintained and the price is right......... then I say go for it!

But would definately get it inspected by someone who knows about Z3's before you part with your cash.

Cheers,

Adam
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi, looks a nice car, and BEST COLOUR TOO :D

I had the same concern about high mileage when i bought mine in Feb this year, but ask if someone on here is near enough to check it out with you if you are not sure, its not alot of money for the fun you will have, its a gorgeous little car which looks like the mileage has been taken in to account in the price, like mine was, and i love it :D plus it looks like its from a garage which will more than likely have at least 3 months warranty with it, something to check for.

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Radlitt »

Hello Gill and Adam,
Thank you for your replies, it's a 1.9, regularly serviced and last serviced at 152K with an MOT 'til 09-2011.
I noticed that the drivers bolster is in good condition which, if I put my Sherlock Holmes hat on, would suggest that it was used for long runs and not lots of 'stops and starts' where you'd be getting in and out of the car alot more.
I have emailed the dealer for a dent and scratch report and will probably have a chat with them tomorrow.

Thanks again
Jeremy
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Two years ago my son bought a 2004 VW Caravelle with over 260,000 miles on the clock with folders of service history and replacement parts.Tha vehicle had been used as an Airport shuttle and had an extended warranty.Virtually all the running gear had been replaced at least once.
When we test drove it I thought that the DMF was suspect, so the seller who had the vehicle from new offered to pay 50% of DMF and clutch replacement cost if it was required.Replacement was required and the seller paid up.
My son has converted it into a camper with roll out awning etc.It has never missed a beat and has had paintwork done under warranty by VW and looks mint.
If the Z has been looked after and parts replaced when needed,there is no reason for it not to be a reliable buy.If you can do your own servicing and repairs and aren't covering vast mileages,you could be quids in.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Dav the wheel nut
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Radlitt »

Thanks for the encouragement Frank,

I guess that it's not the distance but how it got there that counts! and if it's a tidy well kept car then I would imagine and hope that any mechanical wear and tear would have been taken care of also.

If there is anyone in the Bedford area that would be willing to take a look for me, I would be much appreciate it.

Cheers
Jeremy
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

That looks like a cracking car for the money, but another grand would buy a much lower mileage car that would probably work out cheaper over the the next 30-40 thousand miles for an owner with little mechanical ability. Or looked at another way it could be an ideal introduction to home maintanance and repair. You've probably already bought it mentally so "Happy Motoring". :lol:
terryp69

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by terryp69 »

I have a 523 (E39) on a T plate that has 218,000 miles on the clock and still sounds like it did when I bought it at 57,000 miles. Our Z3 has 78,000 so I reckon it has a fair way to go yet.
Before the E39 I had a Vauxhall Cavalier that went to 275,000 before the mechanics fell apart.
I always let a car engine run a couple of minutes when cold before putting it under load. Let the oil get round before revving it above 1500 rpm.
Anyway, if it helps, I'll be passing Bedford on my way home on Tuesday, I see they are open till 8pm. Let me know if you want me to take a look.

T.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

If the price allows you to budget for remedial work or an engine swap, why not?

I traded a 328iSE in with 214k miles and it still saw 150 leptons on the way to the dealer.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Simba901

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Simba901 »

Slightly off topic but my landrover has only slightly less milage than the z in question and with a little TLC she is a great work horse. does alot of heavy towing, off road fun/work and 70 miles round trip to work most day. So if you like it and its in good condition go for it. just service a little more often and she'll thank you for it!

just my 2pence worth.
john
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Radlitt »

Hello,
Apologies for abandoning the thread, my Mother suffered a stroke just recently and I have had to put the thought of buying a Z3 on hold, however, she is slowly on the mend and my search will continue this week.
Thank you all once again for your advice and thanks Terry for the offer.

Cheers
Jeremy
mattdedasc

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mattdedasc »

It all depends on condition.

My zed has now 130,000 miles but since I bought it, at 60,000 miles, 3 years ago, it's done mostly long commutes (average speed on the computer at 40mph substantiates that) and it's been serviced religiously, and it's as good as when I got it.
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Sorry to hear about your Mum. She's much more important then a Z3. Glad to hear she is recovering well.

Al.
Radlitt wrote:Hello,
Apologies for abandoning the thread, my Mother suffered a stroke just recently and I have had to put the thought of buying a Z3 on hold, however, she is slowly on the mend and my search will continue this week.
Thank you all once again for your advice and thanks Terry for the offer.

Cheers
Jeremy
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.