engine 'hunting'

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
hannanp

Z3 roadster 3.0i

engine 'hunting'

Post by hannanp »

hi

I hsve s 2000 3.0i Z3. Occasionally the engine 'hunts' when sitting at idle, ie flutuates between the idle speed of 600rpm and 1000rpm. it only does this intermittiently, is this normal or a know problem. I have had the dme software updated and this has helped but not cured the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks

PAul
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

My 2.8 does this

Post by AdamC »

Have posted before but never much response other than a few other sufferers.... Pretty sure Robin's 2.8 does the same sort of thing. Must admit though, yours is the first 3.0 I have heard with the problem.
AdamC
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

I'm sure you know this and I don't want to state the obvious, but if you have your aircon the engine will hunt a bit at idle...just wondered what with all this hot weather :oops:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Adam Mine hasn't done that for a while. I test drove an M Coupe last week & noticed some instability of tickover RPM on that. Incidently I was surprised at the gruffer note on the M engine compared to my 2.8 which sounds smooth. Nice but just in a different sort of way. Like the difference between a Merlin & a Griffin.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

Robin wrote:Mine hasn't done that for a while
Could this be due to it being up for sale :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Hi Boston
No she hasn't been hunting for a while. Must have know I was hunting. Hunting for an M//.
Obviously she decided to behave well for her master to try & avoid being sold :lol:
'High G' motoring enthusiast
AdamC

Z3 roadster 2.8

Mine hasn't done it for a while either

Post by AdamC »

The cold really seems to set mine off, the warmer weather has seen an end to it! It will no doubt return with the winter, when I will call the mobile engineer out and tell him it keeps dieing at idle, which it has done once or twice. Not totally honest, but the monekeys at the dealer have looked at it twice and said there is nothing wrong with it!

Agreed though giles the AC compressor kickin in and out would cause the revs to dip... sadly that is not the problem with mine.
AdamC