Couple of points from a newbie

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Couple of points from a newbie

Post by Dav »

Have been following the site for some time as I bought a Z3 2.8 in dark green in February this year. It is my first BMW and is an excellent toy.
I am going to have to buy a new set of tyres in the near future. I have read various reports about Pilots and F1's. Can anyone tell me the sort of mileage I would get out of each make?
I bought a new tonneau cover from Ebay and found it was easier to fit than some reports suggested - and I think it looks far better with it.
I live down in Somerset and have found that other Z drivers are obviously not as enthusiastic as me as I have yet to have one wave back !!

Dave
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Tyres - this depends on your driving style - I went through a set of rear F1s in less than 6k which I thought was both irresponsible and great fun - to be honest you should get around 16k - in my experience - with sensible diving - punctuated by the odd bit of silliness

I agree that the boot cover looks great - I am trying to work out how to take it on the Swiss trip - but it just takes up such a lot of space

Somerset drivers - you need to link up with Nick Snook and Robin who are from that area - both are active here and are good chaps - Nick is in Europe at the moment - winding his way to Switzerland
rayl

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by rayl »

Here's a wave from one newbie to another, I,ve had my 2.8 for 3 months now and am still :D (when the rain stops that is) I'm also enjoying the forum and still learning

Ray
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Hi Ray
I'm also still learning about the site. Bought my 1997 Z3 2.8 in February with 20,000 miles on the clock. It had several previous owners but appears in excellent condition with the original tyres !! (pilots). Currently returning 32 to the gallon - how is yours performing? Yet to take mine out in the rain as previous owner kept it dry for two years !!!!!
Dave
Daneborough

Z4 M roadster

Post by Daneborough »

Dave,

Bought my Z3 2.8 new in Sept '99 with Michelin Pilots on it - the first set lasted around 55,000 km (front and rear) - I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sports and got about the same distance from the rears before replacing them again with the same tyres - the second front set has now travelled in excess of 70,000 km and still plently of life left in them - just watch the rear tyres as they wear on the inside due to the camber set-up - I've gotten into the habit of "rotating" then every 25,000 km to even out the wear with no resulting handling problems - being directional this means taking the tyres off the rims and refitting to change sides, but it has worked for me
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Thanks for that. On the basis of that I should get a few more miles out of the pilots I have fitted at the moment. Are the tyre sizes the same on the later 2.8 Zs? ie 225/45 front and 245/40 rear? It appears I am getting wear on the outside edge of the front tyres which may be due to a number of things. I run all the tyres at 32 psi as per the handbook. Dave
rayl

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by rayl »

Dave,
Did we buy the same car!!, mine is also '97 also 20k miles also original tyres, average 31mpg (maybee we are not driving it hard enough!) 4 previous owners. I like the quirky handling, it gives the car a retro feel and the traction control is perfect, not intrucive but reassuring if you do something silly.
I am due a service shortly, will probably use main dealer at first, I am used to carrying out my own maintenance work and plan to keep the car quite a while. This is just a toy for me so I doubt it will see much rain, I also own a BMW 1100 GS motorcycle which I have had from new.The car was bought to replace the bike as my wife keeps telling me i'm to old for it now, but its still here!!
You should have some nice roads down in your neck of the woods as we do up here in the North East (but don't tell everyone Dave, or they will all want to come and try them out :wink: )
Enjoy your car and keep in touch on the forum AND keep waving

Ray