56%
No
44%

Total votes: 45

Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Do you use the tonneau/boot cover?

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

I gotta be honest, since I got the car I have never put the tonneau cover on it.

I tried once... It was fidgety, the sun was out and I decided to chuck it in the garage and hit the road, plus I like throwing the top up and down and the laws of the universe state that if you take the time to install the cover, it will rain. Add to that it took up the whole boot almost.

On the other hand, it does look nice (maybe nicer on dark than light cars), but nice enough to warrant the inconvenience? Maybe for long drives?

So how often do people use their covers?
DavidO

Porsche

Post by DavidO »

I use it every opportunity I can. It makes such a difference to the appearance of the car.

I don't use it if I think there is any chance of inclement weather during the course of a journey.

I agree that it can be a dog to secure the two inner fixings. That is until someone else on this forum (sorry, can't remember who) suggested that he only uses the two outside fixings. That is what I now do. It is perfectly secure even at speed, and it takes mere seconds to fit (just make sure that the two outside fixings are properly secure, or it may indeed end up emulating a touring car rear bumper :D ).
David O
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

i don't use it, it's wayyy too much of a pain to be putting on and off etc. half the point of my car is for me to be able to sit in the driver's seat and put the roof down any time, that can even be done with a manual roof - but start playing with the tonneau cover and it's a get out of the car job.. :head:
RIP '98 Arctic Silver 2.8!

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
mugen888

Z3 roadster 1.9

nahh

Post by mugen888 »

nahhh i hate putting that thing on takes too long my roof is manual so if it rains then i can just put the roof up with no problems...or on the other hand if its too hot then i can put the ac on
jamdcam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jamdcam »

I have used it once, and it does look great. But driving back I was continually look at the weather and hoping it didn't rain. It takes about 3 mins to get off again and stowed. So I probably won't be using it too much.
Dav

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dav »

Bought one off E bay a month ago and found it easy to put on and take off so I use it every time. It definately looks better with it on.
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

If its a nice clear day and I will be doing a good bit of driving then I put it on, once you've done it a few times its not hard. DavidO had a good suggestion, in most cases you could get away with only doing the two outer fixings which I am going to try. It does look really nice on.
Cheers,
Lorraine
Z3 3.0 :D
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

When on a cruise.

Post by Alfie »

When on Zed cruises:

Roof down.

Tonneau on.

Compulsory.

No arguements!

(except maybe Giles!)

Alfie.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I use it 99% of the time the roof is down, I too only use the two outer fittings, never ever used the inner fittings, it only takes a min to put on and transforms the look of the car
foxyuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by foxyuk »

:bawl: i dont use mine..... cause i dont have one ..... is anyone willing to sell theres ????????????
black please
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

I had one on my first Z3 and used it on the odd occasion I thought there was no chance of rain.
The other problem though is if you plan to be making any stops along the way where you will have to leave the car. I have lots of stuff in the car that would go if I locked it up with the roof down (Seidio powered PDA Mount, PDA Cables, GPS Reciever, Oakleys, Mobile Phone mount etc)
and it takes ages to remove that lot to the boot so I hardly ever used to bother with the tonneau really.

And now I dont have one as the last owner of my car sold it on ebay :lol:
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

I don't use mine...'cos I don't have one either :bawl:

...whats' a tonneau :?: :dunce: :lol:
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
Gwynn

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Gwynn »

Hasn't seen the light of day in about two years.

I am a bad boy.
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

once my roof is down,it ony takes me 90 secs to put on once out off the boot,ive timed it,and it looks better,i never use the inside 2 lugs ,just the outside ones,and it keeps your roof cleaner,if ya cant do it in 90 secs,your doing it wrong :D :D :D :D :D :wink:
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

but you have to get out of the car :lol:

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Post by Bryn »

Never used. I have the top down at every opportunity but living in North Yorkshire you can go through all four seasons in under a mile :bawl: :devil:
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

rear cover yes or no and one for sale.

Post by T48 TRE »

I must admit that with my other car I bought one and never used it, butthen the car was silver. with the new car it came with one and because the car is dark and the cover tan it looks good when it is on. I agree with 251 that it only takes 90 secs to put on and like him I only use the outer fixings which makes it easier.
Incidentally I have a cover for sale if anyone is interested. When they stole the last car the cover was not in the car. It is black good condition and I would sell it for £60 Any one interested let me know.
Bert.
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: rear cover yes or no and one for sale.

Post by muffles »

J40ACD wrote:I agree with 251
:roflmao: he must have been running on supermarket fuel there...

Daneborough

Z4 M roadster

Post by Daneborough »

Another one in agreement. I don't particularly like the "inconvenience" of storing the cover, but it looks good when in place, protects the roof as it's designed to do, and is simple and quick to install/remove - I also only use the two outside fixings and have never had a problem with that.
PG

Z3 roadster 2.8

Tonneau

Post by PG »

Looks great when on. Thanks for the tip about using outer clips only. Will give it a try

Went to the I series test day at Rockingham - great car especially on the skid pan ! But even better to drive the Z3 home with hood down.