Underside Damage??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Underside Damage??

Post by Alfie »

A query.

Whilst we were out for a bit of a blast last Saturday in the Oxford - Stratford upon Avon area, the navigator (wife) picked out some really nice country lanes off the beaten track.
With the roof down, the sun blazing, (and a slightly heavy right shoe :twisted: ) we enjoyed the Zed to the full.

Wonderful, yep.

Until I came across a pair of bumps across the road. Not speed bumps, just an uneven surface. I was on the straight, so the speedo was showing a tiny little bit over the speed limit. 8-)

We passed over the first bump fine, but just as the suspension was bottoming out, the second bump hit the underside of the Zed with a huge bang! OUCH! :shake:

The spacing of these bumps combined with a particular speed was perfect for grounding.

I've never grounded the car before, (except on one particularly aggressive speed hump at 1mph) not even on Spokey's Bunch of Hunts run.

There doesn't appear to be any liquids leaking and the car is performing fine.

So my question is.....

Which part is likely to have been hit and is it worth getting the underside checked out?

I don't have a butt strutt or longitudinal brace to take such an impact.

Suggestions on a postcard please....

Thanks.

Cheers!
Alfie.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Alfie my 2.8 bottomed out under hard acceleration the other day on one of Southampton's crappy road surfaces.
I heard a hell of a bang & expected to see the fuel tank or something punctured but in fact no harm appears to have been done. I don't know which bit hit the deck.
Last night I accelerated the same way in my M// on that same bit of road & no bang so I guess the suspension is far firmer. Sure feels like it.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
rayl

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by rayl »

Alfie, it was probably your exhaust pipe.
Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

I bottom out on my driveway a lot, I think once or twice I was 'teetering' as they say, no fun at all. My front bumper clears the base of the driveway by about a centimetre each time I go down, really gotta do something about that. Love the z, but the ground clearance is a pain.