Alarm control unit and wiring?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Alarm control unit and wiring?

Post by Bestgear »

Hi Folks...

I am looking for the alarm control unit behind the glove box and its proving difficult to identify!

I have found two wiring diagrams, plus whats in ETM and I cannot find anything with wiring that resembles what the diagrams show!

I have the usualy "body control unit" with the three connectors, plus another two "boxes" beneath that each with a connector. The left had one has a big blue plud, and about 18 pins. The right hand box has a 12 pin connector - which I thought was the alarm. However, when I disconnect it, the alarm still works!!

Has anyone confirmed the location and wiring pinouts for a UK car? If you have, I would appreciate a steer!!

Thanks

David
mugen888

Z3 roadster 1.9

wire trace?

Post by mugen888 »

hi mate
have u tried to do a wire trace i guess what u can do is trace the wires from which the alarms connected to so this can be the alarm LEd indicator or the siren for instance trace the wires from etiher one then bingo....
You will find if u use a multimeter it will make life very easy
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Hi there..

Tracing wires is my last resort really, but I will have a check with the LED as its accessible....

I have not even confirmed which box the alarm is, or even if it is actually behind the glove box!

There are two locations behind the glove box that are empty... I guess they may have been used for the alarm in other/earlier models.

Everything that Google has turned up is US based and different!

D
mugen888

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mugen888 »

i used to have a bmw compact the dash layout is very similar...... hence the alarm loacation should be rougly the same place... but if i recall the alarm controll box is black pastic looks like a junction box i think it was a scoprian alarm with a BMW rebadged logo on it. the box is very basic not that many wires going into it
hope this information is useful to u
mugen888

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mugen888 »

i used to have a bmw compact the dash layout is very similar...... hence the alarm loacation should be rougly the same place... but if i recall the alarm controll box is black pastic looks like a junction box i think it was a scoprian alarm with a BMW rebadged logo on it. the box is very basic not that many wires going into it
hope this information is useful to u
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Thanks for that... can you remember where the box was located?

Did your alarm have a separate key fob for the alarm or was it a key with buttons on it?

Thanks

David
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

No one know where the alarm box is on a MY2001 Z3?!?!