Z3 2.8 v 3.0 v ZM - advice please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
AndyJ

Z4 M roadster

Z3 2.8 v 3.0 v ZM - advice please

Post by AndyJ »

I currently own a 2.8 Z 1998 mileage of about 28,000 which obviously I love. I have owned it now for just over 12 months. Obviously when you first have a car like this it feels very quick, and is, but overtime you start turning your attentions to faster versions.

I was wondering if anyone could pass on any of there knowledge as to whether upgrading it to a 3.0 or M would be a worthwhile exercise and value for money. Is the power difference really that different and what other pro's or cons would be involved.

I would be interested for any feedback from anyone.

Thanks in advance.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Andy
Having upgraded from 2.8 to an M// for me the main difference is how sorted the M// handling is. I expect the 3.0 is sorted also. Very little if any scuttle shake, skipping on bumpy corners or tramlining, it's great. Power difference is not as much as I expected but I think maybe there is something amiss in my management system as it falters slightly during acceleration. I'll know later today hopefully as it's at the dealers for diagnostic checks.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Various similar threads on this topic have been previously posted:

viewtopic.php?t=1634
viewtopic.php?t=1067
viewtopic.php?t=628
AndyJ

Z4 M roadster

Post by AndyJ »

Thank you both for that advice.

It sounds to me that I need to test drive the M but from what you habve both said it is obviously a better car with more power and good to drive.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Robin wrote:Andy
Having upgraded from 2.8 to an M// for me the main difference is how sorted the M// handling is. I expect the 3.0 is sorted also. Very little if any scuttle shake, skipping on bumpy corners or tramlining, it's great. Power difference is not as much as I expected but I think maybe there is something amiss in my management system as it falters slightly during acceleration. I'll know later today hopefully as it's at the dealers for diagnostic checks.
Why is there less scuttle shake on the M when I would assume it has stiffer suspension? Is it braced as standard?
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

AndyJ wrote:Thank you both for that advice.

It sounds to me that I need to test drive the M but from what you habve both said it is obviously a better car with more power and good to drive.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
I'd agree with most prev comments on this subject.. :) tho what will most likely hit you b4 the different handling charactersitics of the M is the power.. :shock: its uncomprable to the other Zees but it's deceiving as it's very smooth until you crack it above 5000rpm & you'll see what all the fuss is about.. :o that car is all about the engine. Redline it and the M shows it's underlying character.. The 2.8 and M may look similar but they really are very different driving experiences. 3rd gear is a back-road honey and if it doesn't make you think your moving at warp speed then I'd check out the car. The speed you can hit 000 is most telling compared to other Zes. The 3.4S Zee4 being the closest so far for similar grunt. :)

What slows the M is the lazy gearing and dual mass fly but these can all be righted in time. :idea: :| but that m-spec engine might as well be displacing 4 litres for the difference in output (bhp/litre). Torque is smooth and linear and can be easily improved with better induction and a re-map.

The fact that you'll already be used to the Zee means you can virtually get and give it a good thrash.. just watch your rear.. :wink:

Happy Porka Hunting..

Best Rgds,
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Scotthall diagnostic check last Fri showed the exhaust cam position sensor, that I either controls or provides feedback for the amount of Vanos advance, is failing so I guess that's why my bhp on the M// doesn't seem to be 60% more than the 2.8. It seems to falter slightly like it's not all there. They are going to fix on Fri. so hopefully I'll be grinning for ear to ear then :)
'High G' motoring enthusiast