Lowering Springs and Spacers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lowering Springs and Spacers

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Hi All,

Looking at lowering and widening the stance of the car..

What does the following combination sound like in people's opinions? I know there are more expensive ones available.. but these are not the cheapest either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-2-2-Lo ... 43abf02cf2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220905373373? ... 1423.l2649

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270712288623? ... 1423.l2649
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Hi,

It's a bit difficult to answer your question. It really depends on what kind of look you are looking for and what wheels you have. Just take measurements from your car and see for your self wheather the wheels will fit or not.

Also regarding the springs, I suggest that you try to find someone who has installed these springs and has some experience from them. The quality of the aftermarket springs varies quite much. You probably don't want your car to start dropping down or break a spring coil after a couple of year (its not unheard of!).

Ride comfort also varies quite much with different brands. This is not necessarily a bad thing because stiffer ride usually comes with more sportier responce. You should decide what is it that you want though.

One more thing to consider is the amount of lowering. The values that the manufacturer are promissing are more directional than precise. This is why I bouhg an adjustable suspention kit for my car 8-)
O_7777 :drive:
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Thanks for the response. I'm not too pushed about ride quality as the roads don't make any difference over here anyway!

Could you recommend a good aftermarket set?
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:Thanks for the response. I'm not too pushed about ride quality as the roads don't make any difference over here anyway!

Hmm, don't really know what to recommed, but here are some comments about my own experience:

I have a KW variante 1 coilover set my own Z Coupe. It's a well known quality brand and I really like the fact that the coilovers are stainless (INOX steel). The ride stiffness is on the sportier side, probably even too much so for a regular(=non Z) car to be used day to day. However, the sportiness goes well with the "spirit" of my Z Coupe (or thats what I tell my self :lol:).
This set is not the cheapest, I payed 800e for it. I've been driving it for a year now and all in all, I'm fairly happy with it.

I've also driven a Z Coupe with a H&R lowering kit. It was also very stiff/sporty but I think it was a little more comfortable on a bad surface compared to my own KW. It lacked surface sensitivity that is present in my KW set. The H&R kit din't have height adjustment and it was VERY low. Dont know about the price of this one but it can't be more that what I payed for my KW set.

I've also tried two cheap brands in my other car: In-Pro and Supersprint. I had the superspring dampers in both cases.
The In-Pro springs are rather stiff in comparison to the Supersprint. They also dropped the car a bit lower (even though both sets are rated as -40mm of lowering). After changing the In-Pro set to the Superspring, the ride comfort improved dramatically. At the same time the car still feel as sporty (if you can use that word when talking about a Vecta :wink: ) and looks as good. So I think that superspring set is better.

So there it is, I hope that this is helpful.
Good luck! :thumb:
O_7777 :drive:
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:Thanks for the response. I'm not too pushed about ride quality as the roads don't make any difference over here anyway!

I have the Eibach Pro Spring Kit on mine, lowers the car 30mm all round and offers great handling.

Not the cheapest of kits but they are quality and its better to pay for quality when it comes to something like the suspension.

I just swapped the dampers for OEM Bilstein ones which are pretty solid also.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

I have also just fitted the Eibach 30mm pro kit, it has transformed the car. Even on stock shocks the car handles soooooo much better. Big recommendation from me. :thumb:
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Eibach it is so :)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:Eibach it is so :)
Good choice Wolverine :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

You won't regret it :)
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
zibomb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by zibomb »

What type of wheel fitment did you want on the rear? tucking a bit or flush? tucking wont need any work but to get them to sit flush you will need to roll the arches which is a easy job with an arch roller.
The thickness of the spacers will depend on how you want the car to sit.
I would wait till you have your new springs in and they have settled as your wheels will have more negative camber and will tuck a bit more then they do as standard.
Get a ruler and measure from the rim edge to the point you will be happy with the wheel sitting.
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Thanks for your response. I ended up getting 15mm spacers from TPI. I have fitted them and one side of the car is fine, but there is a very dangerous wobble off of the driver's side of the car on the rear!

I removed the spacer, and no more wobble... manufacturing defect?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Are they hubcentric spacers or the plate type ?

If they are the plate type then your wheel was mounted off centre and that would cause the wobble.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

No Hubcentric alright, these are them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPI-WHEEL-SPA ... 27b2319098
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You could try it on the other side to see if it still wobbles.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Ok, tried other side.. no wobble.

I looked at the wheel and cleaned the hub a good bit, scraped off a lot of crap. It's still wobbling.. but not half as bad.

Still though, there must still be something lingering..