Speaker sizes

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Garethdeb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Speaker sizes

Post by Garethdeb »

Hi folks
My wife listens to northern soul music REALLY loudly and as a result has managed to blow the drivers door speaker!
So, simple question is, what size are they? I know I can take the door card off and find out myself but then I'm left with the door card hanging off and trying to get to Halfrauds to get them so thought I might ask on here first.
Whilst I'm at it I thought I might just change the lot of them so any recommendations on upgrading the speakers would be most appreciated. I did the head unit straight after I bought the car as the BMW unit was guff so she already has a half decent head unit to start with.
Many thanks and regards
Gareth
VinceR

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by VinceR »

I also listen to Northern Soul, loudly, but not blown my speakers. But, from memory, they're 16cm (5.25 inches). They also have some non standard fittings, so replacing with off the shelf is not straight forward.

Cheers! /vince ..
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

If you're talking about the ones in the footwells, I've recently replaced mine with 13cm Edge ED305 Component Car Speakers from Halfrauds, not audiophile quality but in my view have good performance at the price. They slotted straight in without any modifications, screw holes were in the right places, etc.

Because they are components I also replaced the tweeters in the doors and bypassed the footwell amp for a direct connection to the new Kenwood headunit. Sound is now much cleaner due to distortion from the footwell amp being removed, big improvement over the original beemer install.

I see you're in Southampton so not a million miles away from myself in Basingstoke, so if you just want to replace your speakers with the original BMW ones then you can have my old ones, guess I won't be needing them any more! Let me know if you're interested!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I have just replaced the footwell ones in my 1998 M44 Z3. I agree with wonderloaf, they are 5inch/13cm. My old ones weren’t that good and one of mine had “blown” also. I’m not an audio connoisseur and don’t use my Z3 for listening to much music so settled for a pair of Pioneer 2-way coaxial ones which were a great improvement.

I am thinking of changing the head unit as it is fast becoming an antique and the cassette mechanism (remember those?) is broken. What’s this about a footwell amp? I didn’t know I had one of those? I’ve got a CD changer in the boot – would I just disconnect and remove this as I wouldn’t see the need for it with a new MP3/CD head unit?
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Hi Del, I'm no expert but some Z3's had a small amp attached to the back of the left hand speaker, it boosts the output from the BMW HU. If you've replaced your speakers and you didn't find the amp on the back of the speaker then guess you haven't got it :)

I've also got the CD changer and when I changed my HU I just disconnected the changer lead. I used a lead form ebay to connect the HU to the BMW wiring harness....simples!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Joycey

M roadster S52

Hu

Post by Joycey »

Hello there! I see your going through the same stages as i was last year. If your HU is dying i have a spare Business CD player HU and also the Cassette type too so to save your self some pennies.

Feel free to take them off my hands they are only collecting dust. I also live in Basingstoke so when your local you could always pick it up.

Lee