Z3 2.8 / 3.0 / ZM Roadstar

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 2.8 / 3.0 / ZM Roadstar

Post by 500e »

Hello - shortly going to sell my Alpina B3 3.2, looking to buy a Z3 to enjoy the summer and nice evenings to the fullest!

I have driven a 2.8 1998 model previously and it was an absolute hoot! Loved it.

Is the 3.0 much quicker? Is it worth the extra grand or 2? I am looking to spend about 5k, looking for a 3.0 Sport in Black with about 60k miles max.

Or shall I just stick with the 2.8 and find a low mile example? I would like the widebody versions, I guess the later 3.0 should be wide body as standard?

Thanks,
Bill
Last edited by 500e on Sun 18 Mar, 2012 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

Z3 2.8 or 3.0?

Post by Heath »

The 2.8 is wide body as standard. The 3.0 is wide body also as they are all facelift versions which are all wide body. I have a 2.0 & keep wishing I went for the 3.0. The 2.8 has a book 0 to 60 time of 7 seconds, the 3.0 has a 0 to 60 time of 6 seconds so quite a bit quicker

Heath on Tapatalk
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Re: Z3 2.8 or 3.0?

Post by billz »

The 3.0 has a lot more torgue than the 2.8 and also comes in more economical. If you get one remapped then you are looking close to it being the same power as the Ms.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 500e »

Love it, I want the 3.0 I think. What MPG figures do you get?

I remember my sisters old 2.8 drinking fuel big time. My Alpina is pretty thirsty but its OK, not too worried about fuel as its for the weekend anyway.

Does anyone know of any good examples for sale? Pref a sport 3.0 facelift with all options pref with a hardtop. Don't mind paying 5-6k for a good one.

Thanks,
Bill
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

So far (and I'm mostly doing fairly short local journeys and using plenty of revs when possible :)) I'm getting 26mpg out of my 3.0. I was originally looking for a 2.8 but the right one didn't come up. I only went to look at this particular 3.0 as I'd seen a couple of really scruffy Z3s and deceided that if this one (being fairly high priced) wasn't any good, then I'd give up on the whole Z3 idea...the rest is history as they say.

Just had a great drive up to SIlverstone for a PH Sunday service. There were three Z3s there that I saw: A red Y reg 2.0, a Blue 02 reg 3.0 and a Blue Z3M coupe on a private plate. For anyone that went, mine was the lonely blue Z3 with black hardtop outside as I hadn't realised there was a list to put your name on. :oops:
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

The 3.0 is definately the one to go for. I had a 2.0 before this and it did not compare. I am currently in two minds about selling mine because I am looking for a 3.0 Z4. Trouble is that I cannot find anything I like at a reasonable price.

I bought mine from another forum member who had litteraly spent thousands of pounds and spent serious time and energy getting it just so.
500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 500e »

Sounds good - nice car! I would say let me know if you want to sell but I am looking for an OEM example.

No plans for mods, bar an Alpine head unit, wind deflector and chrome hoops. Once I sell the Alpina I will start the hunt!

Cheers,
Bill
500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 500e »

Also has anyone had experience with the Z3 M?

I am 22 so I guess insurance would be out the question....:(
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

500e wrote:Also has anyone had experience with the Z3 M?

I am 22 so I guess insurance would be out the question....:(
yep...if you can do the ///M then do it......whole different ball game :wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 500e »

Thanks for your responses. M roadster is about 8K I reckon I could stretch for the right car.

I'm guessing there is a huge difference between the M and the 3.0 down to the huge M tuned engine under the bonnet.

Can anyone comment on reliability of these? I know 2.8/3.0 are bulletproof if serviced regulary but I am not so sure about M engines and their Vanos issues.

Please advise as I would like to get a real beast and keep it for 5 years at least. I want to enjoy the driving experience everytime I get behind the wheel, I have previously had 328i sport / Alpina B3 3.2 and none of them tick the boxes. Driven mercs etc, 330ci sport bmw but I can't seem to like anything...:(

Thanks,
Bill
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 2.8 / 3.0 / ZM Roadstar

Post by simonbud100 »

An M is a different beast all together. From my limited experience of driving an ZM it feels completely different to even a 3.0 Z3, power delivery is relentless and handling is fantastic.

There are some nice looking examples about at the moment on Pistonheads etc, just remember that as with any performance car a lot will have suffered damage in the past, so its really important to get them checked out carefully.

A full and detailed service history is also very important as repairing any faults once you own one will be expensive!
500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 500e »

Thanks Simon! I think 9K will be my limit for a Z3M, or might settle for a 3.0L if I can find a decent one.

I guess I am most worried about the M engine, I am looking for a reliable car to enjoy all year around, not something that will constantly give me problems and cost a fortune to fix. Look forward to hearing more from Z3-M owners, I know the engine is a fantastic one, they put this in the M3, right?

Low miles is the key, I would be looking at purchasing something with 50K max miles.

Thanks,
Bill
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

If you have an Alpina B3 3.2 the insurance must be pretty steep so an M might not be that much different.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 500e »

Fook thats a minter. I want it!!!

The Alpina wasnt too bad to insure, should go down too in May ill have more no claims. I want to get rid of the Alpina asap and get into one of these. Everyday the sun comes out I wish I was out there booting it on the open road with the top down and the stereo loud.

What are the main weak points on these M cars? Are they very twitchy to drive or planted.

I won't be touching anything without FSH / HPI checks. Might even get an AA inspection done. Tempted to offer 8k cash for the above car lol :D
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

theres a buyers guide on here i think?
the M is much more planted than a normal zed .........but the back can be very twitchy in the wet.
as for insurance..it may be worth it to go down the classic car route....much cheaper but no NCB

edit....im just going to add the fact i was in Pete's 3.0l round oulton and TBH that thing could shift..Pete's quick but so was that car and hes only lowered it but it stuck like glue...so its not all about it being an M

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I'm afraid I can't give a comparison between the M and non-M z's as i've never driven one. I have had both the s50 engined M and now the s54.

I bought my S50 when I was 23-24 and the insurance is immense. Just do comparethemarket and see quotes for half the price of a similar performance m3!!

As for running costs, my s50 had both the boot floor and VANOS replaced by warranty/BMW but otherwise caused no grief in the 1.5 years I owned it. Its now tucked away in my brothers garage (he bought it from me). The s54 has been much the same, obviously service intervals are far longer for the later engine but again its been flawless. To sum it up in my 3 years+ of M ownership the only non-service item I have had to replace (due to failure) was two drive belts which started to show signs of fraying...The only real cost is fuel!

If you go for an M just make sure it pulls well (VANOS) and the spot welds in the boot aren't split, other than that there isnt an awful lot worth worrying about

Great cars, test drive all of them and make a decision from there! Good luck!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

shantybeater wrote:I'm afraid I can't give a comparison between the M and non-M z's as i've never driven one. I have had both the s50 engined M and now the s54.

I bought my S50 when I was 23-24 and the insurance is immense. Just do comparethemarket and see quotes for half the price of a similar performance m3!!

As for running costs, my s50 had both the boot floor and VANOS replaced by warranty/BMW but otherwise caused no grief in the 1.5 years I owned it. Its now tucked away in my brothers garage (he bought it from me). The s54 has been much the same, obviously service intervals are far longer for the later engine but again its been flawless. To sum it up in my 3 years+ of M ownership the only non-service item I have had to replace (due to failure) was two drive belts which started to show signs of fraying...The only real cost is fuel!

If you go for an M just make sure it pulls well (VANOS) and the spot welds in the boot aren't split, other than that there isnt an awful lot worth worrying about

Great cars, test drive all of them and make a decision from there! Good luck!
yes i agree do it.

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

In the real world of everyday driving you won't notice much difference between a 3.0 and an M.

It's when you have the opportunity to press the loud pedal that the difference is plainly obvious :D , Smiles for Miles !
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I have to say the noise of the 2.8/3.0 is lovely, i think it all depends what you are after. The 3.0 will be much more civilised and work better as a cruiser/daily drive.
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

It also depends on what you're used to. For a slowcoach like me a 3.0 seems like a rocket (though I've only had it two weeks, so I still haven't got used to the power)...
500e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 500e »

Hello - thanks all for your responses.

The M roadstar sounds excellent but I am worried it might be too excessive. I live in London and work in the city Monday-Friday. Driving is probably on sat and sun, usually in areas of traffic :(

The 3.0L is starting to make more sense, its a lovely car too. I am not really into driving like an idiot, just love to have that extra power there should I ever need it.

I currently have a 1998 Alpina B3 3.2L which is suffering from a diff problem. Once fixed, I am going to sell it and search for a 3.0L. I will also check insurance for a Z3 M and see how reasonable it is.

This car will be a keeper so I do want to get something special with very low miles / high options.

Thanks,
Bill