Strange "tinkly" noise when reversing

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Strange "tinkly" noise when reversing

Post by Fenlander »

Managed to take the Z out for a run today; when reversing back into parking place it was noticed that there was a strange "tinkly" metallic type of noise coming from the drivers side rear wheel area.
The car's been laid up for about 6 weeks, and when moving off the handbrake had appeared to have stuck on, but it moved after a moment or two.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
The car is normally my daily driver and has been parked up whilst sorting out a hard top for security reasons and has never done this till now.
:? :?
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Strange "tinkly" noise when reversing

Post by Radlitt »

Hello,
The 'Tinkly' noise that you describe happened to my Z when I first bought her, turned out to be the rusting and broken rim of the rear brake disc falling back onto the caliper or something. I needed new discs, I'm not saying that this is the case with yours, but it might be worth taking a look.

Cheers
Jeremy
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Try adjusting your handbrake cable, this noise is often the cause of a slack cable allowing the retention springs on the handbrake shoes to become loose.
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Before you do any of that try resetting your handbrake shoes.

Carefully apply the handbrake while driving forward at about 10mph. Don't allow the car to slow below about 5mph. I use a bit of throttle to keep the speed up. You only need to cover about 10yds to clean the shoes/drum.

Never do this in reverse and never allow the car to stop.
Pingu
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fenlander »

Thanks for the replies; I will have a good look at the car again when next am off work with enough time, and am able to do this properly.
Will post my findings once know more.