My Z3 project

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

My Z3 project

Post by Monkey »

When i bought the Z3, i said i wasnt going to do anything to it, apart from general maintenence.

that has now all changed.

Spec when bought:

1.9 Z3. Built March 1998 in Boston Green

Photo of when i bought it

Roof up

Roof Down

when i bought it, the list contained only

New boot lid to remove the luggage rack
New h/U as the car did have one
fix central/remote locking
fix electric seats

Electric seats were taken apart, freed up, rocking mod added and re fitted. and all working

H/U bought, a lovly pioneer MP3 with integrated parrot Handsfree kit, awsome

Central/remote locking fixed

whilst doing all this i found an oil leak, which is comming from crank case. this is a problem, which i still havnt permanently fixed, i was and still am planning on finding another 1.9 engine to drop straight in, and then completly rebuild this one. i was expecting to pick up an enigine this weekend, but it had already sold. so i'm back on the look. i'm NOT going to put a different engine in.

i put the car on a computer, as i noticed a possible miss fire, but i couldnt be certian, it was intermittant at best. the computer showed a miss fire, along with some other stuff (CAS sensor issue) so i check HT leads and found one to be a bit worse for wear (cylinder 3) replaced the HT leads and all codes now gone. and it runs alot smoother.

i have replaced the boot lid, which i found to be a different green entirely GRRRR, but i also bought a new front passenger wing, a new passenger wing mirror (both being the correct colour) and a new gear knob.

i also this weekend removed the mud flaps, and changed the BMW centre caps for new ones.

photo of how it looks now

To do:
Friday it going to get the back end painted so it all matches
need to find a passenger headlight washer jet, as this is how it looks

i want to replace the steering wheel, with a smaller BMW one, but thats not urgent.

and then this weekend it having a very special treat.

i will say that all i'm going to do, but i know it wont be.

just on the hunt now for engine bits.
Nidjet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: My Z3 project

Post by Nidjet »

I think it's fantastic that you are lavishing so much attention on your Z, but i wonder if it would have been cheaper in the long run to buy a car which was in better condition and didnt need as much attention in the first place? :roll:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

It’s boring buying a perfect car and having nothing to tinker with. Much more fun and sense of achievement to buy a bargain a bit rough around the edges and slowly improve it into a nice original spec. car. Keep the progress threads coming I’m interested and I’m sure many others will be to.
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

yes it probably would have been cheaper, i never bought the car thinking i was going to spend any money on it. just keep it road worthy. but then i wanted the BBQ rack gone, and the oil leak, and get offered things for cheap, and before you know it you've spend loads of cash.

i enjoy tinkering with cars. this is my hobby, people spend £1000's going fishing when i buy my fish from the chip shop down the road. plus this is my Vice/treat for giving up smoking
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

you should be able to sell the flaps and boot rack on here mate , recoup some costs :D
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

yes, i wasnt aware of the interest in the mudflaps.

bootlid and BBQ rack i would ideally like to sell together. i'll put a post up shortly
Nidjet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Nidjet »

I see your point Monkey. I am also looking forward to seeing your progress so again keep the updates coming.
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

I'll start with £40 + p&p for the flaps if they are in good condition
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

snatch wrote:I'll start with £40 + p&p for the flaps if they are in good condition
rears have gone, got the fronts though
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

ok thanks anyway but I'm looking for all four.