flat battery

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Amz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

flat battery

Post by Amz »

Ive just returned from holiday and then went to start the z after 3 weeks and it wont start. I got the breakdown service to jump it and it started up asap but when i got home after a 15 minute drive and i tried to start it again but it failed.

It seems the battery has lost all charge and is failing to hold charge.

I guess it times for a new battery? or any other suggestions?

Also can anyone recommend any batteries for the z3 between £30 and £70?

Thanks

Amz
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: flat battery

Post by ('_')Z3 »

I bought the Bosch S5 3months ago for £72, was great! Yep WAS!
Came to my car after probably 10 days over the weekend and although there was enough charge for clock etc it didn't have enough guts to turn the starter motor, anyway on closer inspection the battery well was 3cm deep in acid. It stripped all the paint from the well :(
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Amz wrote:Ive just returned from holiday and then went to start the z after 3 weeks and it wont start. I got the breakdown service to jump it and it started up asap but when i got home after a 15 minute drive and i tried to start it again but it failed.

It seems the battery has lost all charge and is failing to hold charge.

I guess it times for a new battery? or any other suggestions?

Also can anyone recommend any batteries for the z3 between £30 and £70?

Thanks

Amz

It does sound like you need a new battery. If you have an voltmeter it's worth jumpstarting the car and checking that the alternator is putting out enough juice to charge it, and it could be a bad earth or a number of things, but I'm 99.9% sure you need a battery. I always just go to a motor factor (Motor Parts Direct, Euro Car Parts etc) and buy whatever cheap battery they list - I've found Halfords to be much more expensive. Euro Car Parts normally have some sort of discount code that you can use online to reserve parts and then pick them up over the counter at the reduced price.

I've also bought motorbike batteries online from mdsbattery.co.uk and I think they do car batteries as well, so worth a look - always had good service from them.
('_')Z3

I bought the Bosch S5 3months ago for £72, was great! Yep WAS!
Came to my car after probably 10 days over the weekend and although there was enough charge for clock etc it didn't have enough guts to turn the starter motor, anyway on closer inspection the battery well was 3cm deep in acid. It stripped all the paint from the well :(
Ouch!!
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

I bought a Bosch S5008 a few months ago from car batteries on line, see

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 11#p316011

£72 with 5 year guarantee and free delivery, they seem to still be the same price.

Dave
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Radlitt »

Before you go to the expence of buying a new battery, borrow a full charged battery and see if it too loses power.
I had the same problem and discovered a short circuit was the reason for power loss, also, your alternator will not recharge your battery to its full potential, as it's only designed as a top up, put your battery on a charger overnight.
My original, what I thought of as knackered, battery is still as good as new.

Cheers
Jeremy
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

ATS.Kwik-Fit,Halfords and all Tyre & Battery Sellers test your battery for free in the hope it knackered and you buy a new one but there's no committment if you ask them to test.Five minutes and you'll know.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

15 minutes isn't enough to charge a battery from flat.

As others have said, charge overnight and see how it holds up. I had a similar experience, charged the battery but it didn't hold the charge after being drained flat.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Amz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Amz »

thanks so much for all your input, the cheapest battery ive seen is from a brand called Lion supplied by eurocarparts for around £45 collection.

Anyone used this brand before?

Thanks
Amz
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

Not used the brand but eurocarparts is supposed to be decent from what I read.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Amz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Amz »

purchased the LION brand battery from eurocarparts, cost £45.

Car fired up straight away :) however when changing the battery i noticed on the original battery a tube that was connected to it. Ive not seen a tube before on a battery. Of course, the new battery doesnt have the fitting for the tube.

Can anyone shed light on what the tube is?

Thanks

Amz
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The tube is to vent hydrogen. They are used to safely vent explosive hydrogen to the outside when the battery is fitted in an enclosed space like the boot. Not sure how necessary it is, but if the battery has such a connection, it is worth using it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Amz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Amz »

thanks alot Robert, very useful to know :)

Dont know what i would do with this forum, keep up the good work

Amz