Fuel Filter on Z3 1.9i 1999

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
laurieh

Z3 roadster 1.9

Fuel Filter on Z3 1.9i 1999

Post by laurieh »

Hi guys,

Can you tell me where the fuel filter is housed on my Z, and is it just a straight swamp without any priming.

Cheers
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Fuel Filter on Z3 1.9i 1999

Post by Del »

Under the car on the passenger side, underneath the black plastic guard that covers the area from the radiator back to the gearbox. You can just see the rear of it at the back of the plastic cover.

I changed mine earlier this month as per the Haynes manual, which recommended removing the fuel pump fuse and running the engine until it cut out – which was almost immediately – and removing/replacing the fuel filler cap – all to de-pressurise the system.

You loosen the bracket holding it in position and disconnect the two, 2-inch lengths of rubber fuel pipe either side held in position with jubilee clips. The front fuel pipe will unclip from the bulkhead and swing forward by way of the rubber fuel pipe section entering the engine bay – which will enable enough room for you to slide the fuel filter forwards and out of its bracket.

When done this way, I encountered no high pressure spillage and caught about a teacup of petrol in a bucket which I tipped immediately into a fuel container. I took the personal decision to also renew the two 2-inch lengths of rubber fuel pipe and clips.

Replace the fuse and turn the car over and the system primes itself with fuel automatically. :)
laurieh

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by laurieh »

Hi Del,

All done and old one was a pig to get out (seized bolts everywhere) do not think it had ever been changed, old one was full of brown coloured fuel.

Many thanks for your advice

Laurie
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Glad to have helped a fellow owner. It could be the original filter. Brown fuel doesn’t sound good, your filter sounds as if it was well overdue for a change. An ex-BMW technician once told me that the fuel filters often get “overlooked” as they are hidden away underneath the car. The OE BMW filters have a small manufacture date stamp on them. My car is a 1998 1.9 and the fuel filter I removed recently was date stamped 2004 which coincided with an Inspection 2 done in 2004 by a previous owner.

When I removed the under-body plastic guard to do this job, it was a fiddle getting it on/off so I decided to do as much as I could at the same time so I changed the gearbox oil, renewed the gearbox exhaust bracket that had rusted away and inspected the clutch hose and flushed fresh fluid through it.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Just changed my filter Z3 1.8 1999 and date on that was 1999!
Looks like it has never been changed.
I would make the observation that the jubilee clips that hold the rubber pipe onto the filter ends were of a type where the screw on them was a security type, screwdriver on them would allow undoing but would not allow doing it up. Changed them out for a pair of new clips.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

I'm about to perform a fuel filter change in the next week. You mention removing the resistor to drain the pipes. Which one is it? IV also got the 1.9 btw waiting on all my service parts coming this week can't wait to give it a fresh setup.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi
From memory, the fuel pump fuse was 18. When you take the lid off your fuse box there should be a sticker confirming what each fuse does.

It goes without saying, you need to get the car safely up on ramps/stands to get good access. The fuel filter has to go a certain way and should have directional arrows printed on it to show the direction it should point. Sounds obvious but it won't let fuel through properly if positioned the wrong way round.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

ahh didnt realise there would be a guide.

yeah iv got the trolley jack and stands at the ready just wish this weather would clear up over the next couple of days so i can get out and get it done.

the joys of not having a garage! ha
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Can someone please give me a feel for a garage changing a fuel filter on my z3 3.0i sport. Labour time and price of part. Thanks.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My guess:- Part price up to £20 and labour up to half and hour :)
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Thanks. Not too bad then.