What did you buy your Z3 this week ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
nickp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: What did you buy your Z3 this week ?

Post by nickp »

Picked these up and rather 'dishy' they are too-

Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Strong Strut body brace kit, from the good ole U.S.A....Bloody expensive, so don't tell Mrs. Bonzo. :shock:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

Compleet new brakes
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

New rocker panels. Does not look good atm :roll:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Thompy
try Mothers aluminium polish - it's by far the best polish for ally. Comes in a little tub in a paste form. If you use a very fine wire wool to get the basic cleaning done, then go at it with the Mothers, it'll come up really well. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Southernboy wrote:Hi Thompy
try Mothers aluminium polish - it's by far the best polish for ally. Comes in a little tub in a paste form. If you use a very fine wire wool to get the basic cleaning done, then go at it with the Mothers, it'll come up really well. :wink:

No hope saving the old panels. Too much rust from salty roads :head: Can see that the previous owner tried to save them and repaint, but not much to do now. 307 USD/ 200 GBP for both panels. Paintjob will be around 122 USD/ 80 GBP per side.

Also hoping to get in a JBL GT-BassPro 12" 150w in the trunk this month :)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

£106 for a new radiator. A bit cheap, let's see what comes :shock: .

A pair of rear discs for £135. I've warned the seller to check they are handed in opposite directions. There is a quarantine by EBC on the part number because all there stock is handed the same way. I'll wait and see what arrives or if the order gets cancelled.
Pingu
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

£15.00 for 4 off 200x 6 x 100mm steel plates to make my rear brackets for my hard top got 1 side made just cutting the other side but my angry grinders battery went flat and the charger is at work got to wait until tomorrow night to Finnish cutting the weld them together
Peter2b
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

peter2b wrote:£15.00 for 4 off 200x 6 x 100mm steel plates to make my rear brackets for my hard top got 1 side made just cutting the other side but my angry grinders battery went flat and the charger is at work got to wait until tomorrow night to Finnish cutting the weld them together
Peter2b
If they are any good, you can make some serious money making them. They are as rare as hen's teeth and cost £100+ when available.
Pingu
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Didnt buy, but got in bday present from the lady, a JBL Gt-basspro 12. Its coming monday, so havent had any chance to measure and find out where to place it. Will placing in the trunk kill much bass? It weighs 17kg and its 30,9x30,5x57 cm
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by HomerRamone »

A new clock for the centre console.
I bought one when I got it cos the one that was there fell to bits. Turns out the one I bought was different so have had to buy another :(
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Just got one more thing for my zed, the under engine tray off eBay only need more thing that I should get this week end fog light blank plates
Peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Another 12 months road tax
Peter2b
Robz3sport

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Robz3sport »

New discs and pads all round and new front shock absorbers.
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

A new ABS sensor for the rear nearside and a rewire of all the things that have wires that go through the flexible hose to the bootlid. Although all I had to buy for that was some wire and heatshrink.

Now I have a warning light that doesn't come on and a boot light that does, central locking that works all round and an alarm that doesn't go off at random.

The door mirrors don't work very well, but having replaced the motors I can only conclude that they never did. I simply cannot get enough upwards adjustment and I am not that tall. I did dismantle the mirror housings and freed them and lubricated them so that they now fold.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

A very expensive roof.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

yalden wrote:A very expensive roof.
Soft top or hard top?

OEM?
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Hard top and nope :nerd:
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

yalden wrote:A very expensive roof.

Hi yalden. What is your interpritation of 'Expensive' ? and yes - was it a new Mohair Hood/roof or a Hardtop/roof ?
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

He got hamann hardtop.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

deni2s wrote:He got hamann hardtop.
Hi deni2s. Yes I saw that it was a hartop after posting my question. How do they differ from OEM ? Are they any better fit or with additional features ?
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

They are exclusive and gorgeous :-)

Here is mine
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Deano1712 wrote:They are exclusive and gorgeous :-)

Here is mine
Hi Deano. Yes,nice top and apart from the bumps towards the rear of the hardtop and possibly a slightly flatter line as it comes over the top of the rear window are there any other differences ?

A very very nice car.
Which V8 unit is in the car (I assume that it is the American Short-block that was fitted to the P5 & P6 Rover 3500) and does it have an auto box or a manual one ?
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Hamann just looks better and can be ordered in carbon fiber version. Has it's own fitting kit.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:apart from the bumps towards the rear of the hardtop and possibly a slightly flatter line as it comes over the top of the rear window are there any other differences ?
The lower profile, reduced 'hot rod' style rear screen and the bumps are the main differences.

IMO the roof is massively overpriced and definitely isn't worth what they charge... but if you you're itching for one, you have to dig deep and bite the bullet!

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If I recall correctly, when Deano received his it didn't fit very well and he had to modify it himself to fit.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

yalden wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:apart from the bumps towards the rear of the hardtop and possibly a slightly flatter line as it comes over the top of the rear window are there any other differences ?
The lower profile, reduced 'hot rod' style rear screen and the bumps are the main differences.

IMO the roof is massively overpriced and definitely isn't worth what they charge... but if you you're itching for one, you have to dig deep and bite the bullet!

Never seen that zed before, is this the look your going for? If so we need a like button to hit :thumb:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Fitment isn't going to be my problem. I have every confidence my bodyshop will get it nailed.

I won't be duplicating Tom Lilico's Z3 (google for more pics), I'm not intending to smooth out badges, black out headlights or fitting air suspension and a quad exhaust. Mine will however be treated to the Aero kit and a couple other bits and pieces to set it apart from the above and my previous Z3.

The hardtop will severely slow down any progress as its just eaten up any funds set aside for the rest of the car, but I'm in this for long term so no rush!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Nice going with the roof... Will watch this over the next year or two... :wave
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Back in my world, I have bought: a tin of dark green spray paint from Halfords, rubber floor mats, spare set of light bulbs, an engine-oil drain pan, an oil filter wrench, a low-profile trolley jack, a tonneau cover, a tyre pressure gauge, a fluid dual-transfer pump, and a pack of plastic door-panel clips. Oh yes, and I've booked in to have a new mohair roof fitted in a couple weeks time.

That lot should keep me busy :)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

g8jka wrote:
yalden wrote:

Never seen that zed before, is this the look your going for? If so we need a like button to hit :thumb:
And a dislike one. :shake: :?
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

martin41052 wrote:Back in my world, I have bought: a tin of dark green spray paint from Halfords, rubber floor mats, spare set of light bulbs, an engine-oil drain pan, an oil filter wrench, a low-profile trolley jack, a tonneau cover, a tyre pressure gauge, a fluid dual-transfer pump, and a pack of plastic door-panel clips. Oh yes, and I've booked in to have a new mohair roof fitted in a couple weeks time.

That lot should keep me busy :)
Great Scott! :shock: Does the Missus know about all of this????? :fade
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Not all of it! With a bit of luck she'll be out when it all turns up 8-)
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

New brake hose, since the right rear brake is stuck someway :head: Its getting really really hot. The first times I noticed it it made scary noises and you could smell burnt brakes. Tried first to too see myself, and took off the tire and put some brake cleaner and gave it a good knock. Worked for a day. Then it came back again. Mechanic looked at it without any luck so far. Heard some guys had luck changing brake hose, so ill im hoping that will help. :|
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

under engine tray
peter2b
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

30 Euros of unleaded and a lovely top down run down the coast today, not too hot for a change (26 degrees).
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Rafolian wrote:30 Euros of unleaded and a lovely top down run down the coast today, not too hot for a change (26 degrees).
Nobody likes a show-off! :D

I'm only jealous!
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Found some guy locally who is in the process of building a Z3 based kit car and was selling some face-lift bits, l managed to get two rear wings, rear bumper, both rear light clusters and a pair of front fog lights all for £140!!
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Alan W wrote:Found some guy locally who is in the process of building a Z3 based kit car and was selling some face-lift bits, l managed to get two rear wings, rear bumper, both rear light clusters and a pair of front fog lights all for £140!!
For spares or are you hoping to fit them to a pre-facelift car?
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Just to keep as spares, l don't need them and hopefully never will, but they were cheap so worth stockpiling..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Alan W wrote:Just to keep as spares, l don't need them and hopefully never will, but they were cheap so worth stockpiling..
That's a slippery slope my friend...
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

A set of seat bushes from Aceman, fitted today. Fitting is fairly straightforward, but I would advise to only remove a little material at a time and test fit often. You don't realise how wobbly your seat is until it isn't anymore!
I wouldn't have known about that fix -let alone had the confidence to have a go myself- without this forum. Thank you all,

Boosh.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

swmbo just got a tonneau cover for my zed as an early Christmas prezzie
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

camping tickets for next year's 24 hr Le Mans
peter2b
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

New waterpump, thermostat and housing plus 5L of antifreeze and some new carbon fibre wheel badges to replace the faded ones on my summer wheels.

Oh and an aerodynamic rear bumper :D (Needs to be sprayed as its just primed at the moment but the trial fit all went well)

Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Some door knob-thingies that somebody gave me, knowing that I wouldn't mind taking the time to fit them. Door cards off might seem a lot of trouble for such details, but I personally don't mind.

Contemplated painting the plastic 'triangle and runner' of the door card in the body colour. Any suggestion as to how to remove it without damaging it? Has anybody done that? Picture?

Boosh.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Boosh wrote:Contemplated painting the plastic 'triangle and runner' of the door card in the body colour. Any suggestion as to how to remove it without damaging it? Has anybody done that? Picture?

Boosh.
On the inside? I scuffmastered mine again when I retrimmed my interior - door cards remove fairly easily (15 mins) and there is this link in the knowledge base http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=11887
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks, but I meant the long plastic piece that starts as a triangle at the top front of the door card, and tapers to a long rectangle that goes all the way to the back of the door card. It looks like it's plastic welded to the cardboard. I thought of using a dremmel to separate from door card, and hot glue to attach back on, but not sure it's the best approach, hence my query. Any suggestion?

Boosh.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Yes it is bonded on to the door card, you need to remove the door card to access the back where there is some melted plastic plugs that hold the trim in place. These need to be cut off and you can take the plastic trim off to be sprayed. Best way to attach them back on is to clamp it back onto the door card and fill the holes where the plugs were with glue from a hot glue gun. This was what I did when I wrapped mine in carbon fibre vinyl.