Strange one - anyone have an idea?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Strange one - anyone have an idea?

Post by M@r]{ »

Missus calls on the way to work today, stuck in the snow. I go out to rescue in the Z3 :dunce: Anyway get her unstuck, wave her happily off as she drives into the distance.....then I get stuck :head: Anyway after about 30 mins of rocking backwards and forwards etc I finally get going, but....... my ABS and traction control lights have come on???? Checked for any ECU faults and there are none. Left the car for an hour or so, tried again still no luck.

So any ideas why getting stuck in the snow could do this? My thought is a sensor somewhere has got water/snowed up, hence why I left it to defrost on the drive. But still got the problem (although it wouldn't have dried off, just defrosted possibly)

Other question, is there a hard reset I can try? Ie maybe the sensor has water ingress and needs resetting?

Any help would be really appreciated, I'm really pissed off as I'm in the process of selling the car so could really do without lights on the dash!!
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Re: Strange one - anyone have an idea?

Post by muppet »

Dirt in the ABS sensors can do that, a jet wash in at the brakes could clear it.

If you were out in the snow why was your traction control on. if in the snow turn it off and life become a lot easier... Honest
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

It was off, just when I come to turn it off it wouldn't, also noticed the ABS light on.

But thanks for the advice on the jetwash, I'll give it a go in Sunday (apparently its supposed to be sunny and above freezing :) )
2006 Lotus Exige S
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Ok removed all four ABS sensors, gave them a clean, disconnected the battery for 15mins and........... lights are still on :head:

The only thing left to try is to take it for a drive, I've heard that can help reset it all?? If that doesn't work I've obviously got a faulty sensor. Bit of a coincidence that it became faulty just as I was stuck in the snow :shake:

So failing this is off to an Indy to get them to run diagnostics to identify which sensor has gone down :roll:
2006 Lotus Exige S
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Normally when you take the car out for a drive once you hit 15mph the light should go off providing the fault is gone, not just when the ignition is switched back on.

Take it up the road and see if it goes out when you hit 15mph :-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Arh good, that gives me some hope. I've sent the missus off to the doctors in the car so hopefully she'll come back with a light free dash :D
2006 Lotus Exige S
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Wha-hoo. She arrives back after a 5 mile round trip and all the lights have cleared 8-) Must have just been a dirty sensor, not surprising after the amount of crap I kicked up trying to get it unstuck from the snow/mud
2006 Lotus Exige S
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Happens in mine quite often, comes on and next time I take it out for a drive it clears at 15mph and will stay off for a few months then. Just a dirty sensor :-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

This is quite common on all modern cars. The ABS/ESP system is not "taught" to recognize a situation when the car is stuck in snow. So when you're spinning the wheels excessively with traction control on, the systen eventually starts to assume that its faulty and shuts down completely. It may take quite a while for it to recognize again that everything is OK.

Another thing that can set this off is a locked wheel stuck by a frozen handrake (very familiar situation for all of us here up north :wink: ) When you are dragging the wheel around trying to get it unlocked, the system againg doesn't understand whats happenig and eventually shuts down.

So technically this is a minor issue but actually it can make your car very dangerous! This is because drivers are not used to drive without driving aids these days. So when the systems shut down completely, which usually happens during winter, you are completely unprepared. Espesially absence of the ABS is treacherous. After all, when have you driven a car without ABS the last time? Still remember how to brake during cornering?
O_7777 :drive:
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Ok that makes sense. And at least mine have now been out and had a clean so if they ever do fail they'll be easy to remove.

As for driving without them it would be like home from home for me, years of Lotus ownership and you learn to live without driver aids. Not just TC and ABS, don't even have power steering or assisted brakes. Proper drivers car :wink:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2006 Lotus Exige S
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Z3C wrote: After all, when have you driven a car without ABS the last time? Still remember how to brake during cornering?
I drive one daily, a peugeot 206, its not that uncommon

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I drive one without servo assisted brakes, never mind ABS or power steering!

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Robert T wrote:I drive one without servo assisted brakes, never mind ABS or power steering!

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2

You have certainly let the maintenance slip on the Z Robert... Get them fixed or it will drive like the frog. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..