Z3 - few issues

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Yazta

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 - few issues

Post by Yazta »

Hi all,

I bought a top spec Z3 at the weekend, 1998 1.9 engine. It's got an few little niggles.

Firstly, I had the glovebox working fine, but now it won't open? Does anybody have any experience of this or am I going to have to break into it. It's not locked, it's just unlocked and not opening.

Secondly, the dreaded fuel gauge reading constantly empty. I've read about the forums and have seen the 'battery reset' trick. It unfortunately didn't work. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? BMW quoted me north of £400 to get the pump/sender unit replaced!

Lastly, what do people consider high milage?

Thanks. :)
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Re: Z3 - few issues

Post by TR4man »

Yazta wrote: Lastly, what do people consider high milage?
I understand that the average mileage by UK motorists is 11,000 miles per year, so you could say if your car has had more than that, then it is high mileage.

Don't let high mileage put you off. If your car has been regularly and sympatheically serviced and maintained, it is probably a better car than those that spend the winter collecting dust in people's garages.

Regards

Peter
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

The fuel pump/sender is quite easy to get to. Its accessed through a panel in the carpet behind the drivers seat. There is a sender here on ebay for ~£20 so DIY option is very easy and cheap.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

As suggested above...get to the sender behind the driver seat...you'll need an almost empty fuel tank before you start that though. Once out, you may find that the sender is simply a tad worn and a small adjustment will resolve the issue. If you have a look at the way it operates, it becomes obvious what adjustment to make so that the two contacts actually make contact all the way through the arc of the float. The glove box catch may need a quick squirt of Q20 or WD40 or such...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Prior to any surgery, drive until you reach the fuel warning light and fill the tank with the highest octane you can get and perhaps a can of carb cleaner / fuel additive. At least for me - twice it cured erratic fuel indication. The fault: jumping from 3/4 tank to empty.