Roll hoops for 97 z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Carl380_0

Z3 roadster 2.8

Roll hoops for 97 z3

Post by Carl380_0 »

Hi, first time on here, I have just purchased my 97 z3, the car does not have roll hoops fitted, is there a after market roll hoop I can purchase or can I change it to take the STD roll hoops
Thanks carl. :)
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Roll hoops for 97 z3

Post by Cloz »

Hi,
Your car must have been produced after 1/97 to fit OEM roll hoops. Otherwise it is much more difficult.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

And if you're not aware how to check when it was manufactured, there's a sticker on one of the suspension turrets. Picture courtesy of someone on this forum (Titan?):

1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Old thread attached about roll hoops - not sure if all the parts are still available from BMW for OE hoops or whether you have to go down the 2nd hand route.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3439
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

That's the thread I used as a reference when fitting mine, great guide. The parts new if they're even still available are ridiculously expensive so I'd definitely go down the second hand route if you can find some (and all the new trim/storage box you'll need). They don't come up too often, I imported mine from Lithuania :lol:

Also, 400th post! :king:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The first thing to check in your car are the left & right turrets (where the seat belts originate from). On the inner faces (those facing towards the center rear storage box) you may see a pop in plastic cover. If your turrets don't have them, it will mean replacing the turret tops with the pop out covers. Those covers allow access to the locking bolts for the OEM hoops. They are no longer available from BMW, so 2nd hand is the only option and the fitting of those turret tops is slightly different, which means changing the side lateral trim sections too (They are the parts which the turret tops fit to and extend down to the door trim covers). You will also need to change the rear center storage box to the version with the roll hoop access hole - left and right - you may also need the mounting brackets and bolts for the hoops which fix to the body under the turrets if they are not fitted already. Obviously, you will need the roll hoops too, and if you choose, an OEM mesh wind deflector.
The entire excercise, even 2nd hand isn't cheap, so be prepared to spend a couple of hundred on the conversion. IMO they make one of the most distinguished upgrades, and should have been standard on all Z3's.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Southernboy wrote:you may also need the mounting brackets and bolts for the hoops which fix to the body under the turrets if they are not fitted already.
Great advice just a slight correction, the mounting brackets don't fit under the turrets they fit under the centre storage box (hence the need for a new smaller centre storage box). If you don't have the mounting posts under the turrets already you have a pre-1997 Z3 that isn't compatible with OEM roll hoops.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Correct...it's been a while since I went back there... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

You might be interested in this Carl, just popped up on the Stock Exchange: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38275
Carl380_0

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Carl380_0 »

Many thanks for the info guys for the roll hoops
Carl :)