M44 Cat and or rear box help

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

M44 Cat and or rear box help

Post by r100elp »

I think my cat has gone, never had one go before but the noise when in 1st or 2nd and accelerating suggests this is what it is. The man who states you can't get quicker than him to fit me a new one then told me to replace it would require me to take out a 2nd mortgage. The car has only just passed its mot so would i be doing any harm in running the car in this state other than to the ozone layer and also what can anyone recomend I can do to keep me on the road for as little money as possible?
Im situated in Northern Ireland so ordering of the Bay is not good for bulky items like this. :head:
NOW the proud owner of a 98 1.9 M44 Z3 in silver.

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: M44 Cat and or rear box help

Post by Rafolian »

I have just bought a front section with cat off flea-bay, 98 quid with free P+P to mainland UK for my 2.8. I live in Spain and am getting it and other bits and pieces brought over by a small carrier, possibly you could organise something similar?
What part of county down you in? I'm from Bangor. Good luck!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Are you sure it's the cat? I assume you mean you have a rattle?

I've had a cat break down (on a different car), and it can sound terrible, but I'm surprised you only get it in 1st and 2nd gear - or am I inferring something you didn't mean?
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

What I mean is I can only hear it rattle when Im traveling at slower speeds :D or sitting ticking over and Im in Newtownards so not far from Bangor but the weather here today is more like Spain 25c :wink:

GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

I suppose the MOT test will just check for leaks and emissions so it shouldn't fail if it rattles. I had a patent cat fitted last year which cost about £140 fitted, much cheaper than a genuine BMW part but it's not going to last 15 years!
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

As long as the O2 sensor isn't reporting any problems with the emissions then I wouldn't think you'll get any engine issues. Try getting quotes from some of the Tyre and Exhaust chains..
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The rattle means that your Cat is breaking up inside. First they tend to detach from the casing and can carry on functioning for a while and can even pass an MOT emission tail-pipe probe test. However, it's best to get it sorted as the Cat can start to fragment further and cause a blockage with more serious consequences. Prices for just the front Cat section should be something up to £200 fitted.

I've got a 1998 M44 myself and I would suspect that your rear section is getting fairly "tired" by now. I had my whole system replaced last year.
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

Thanks for all the replies. As money is tight and the mot is long ive had the cat cut out and replaced with a pipe today for £35. They also had to remove bits of the cat that had worked their way into the back box. The result is a car that no longer rattles but it does roar a bit louder now :D