Project: make it better

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Project: make it better

Post by Monkey »

Not been been around for a while, but i thought i'd post up on here as you lot might be interested, but i'm going to use this thread as a bit of a build/project log for my M44 Z3.

Mission Statement

to extract moar powwah from the M44 engine. the engine is going to go through a nut an bolt rebuild (by me an my mate Mike) and where the wallet allows, parts will be upgraded. not blindly upgraded either but a considered approach and to the gains i will get from them.

FAQ:

Q: Why?
A: Because i can, i have a Z3 with a M44 engine that is a bit buggered. i'm going to throw about £1000 at it, and hope for the best

Q: why not fit a S42, M50, M52, LS1 V8, a merlin V12 from a spitfire (plane not car), a jet engine from a Harrier................................
A: Because i want to keep the build cost down, andi dont want to much around with wiring etc.

Q: why not by a M3, they are better cars, and your Z3 is gay?
A: how can a car that has only 2 seats and just enough room for beer in the boot be gay? the car does one thing and that to drive. a Gay car is one you can fit lots of shopping in, as well as lots of people/kids etc. the Z3 says "i'm here for one purpose only, and that fun, driving your kids to a packed shopping centre to buy then new shoes? thats nice, i cant do that has my car is full with one passenger an beer"

Q: would you like another beer?
A: yes, yes i would

Q: why not turbo/supercharge it?
A:i want to keep it N/A plus the costs to do either are quite high.

Q: how much more power are you expecting?
A: dont know

Q: why not
A: cos i dont, i'll rolling road it when all done and i'll tell you

Q: you must have an idea on how much
A: i'm aiming for 140.5bhp, anything over that is a bonus.

Q: why are you such a dick?
A: i cant give you an answer that i dont know. i just hope its more and the money i spent was worth it.

Q: so what are you going to do...................
A: i'm glad you asked Christian, pull up a seat and i will tell you.

First up the M44 engine is a 1.9, 4 cylinder engine. i am going to (get a price first, then decide which bolts need replacing) replace all nuts, Bolts and gaskets in the engine. It will be comming apart completely. i will split the different section of work

Head: (giggle)

Head to be sent (do not know who yet) to be ported, polished and skimed, with hopefully the Cams going to either Kent Cams or Piper Cams to be reprofiled. New springs, lifters, arms etc. Valves to be re-ground.

Block:

top to be skimed. piston rings replaced and i will look at reprofiling the piston tops a little. bores check for wear and some polish done if need be.

Crank to be either replaced with a M47 crank (will need new or reporfile the existing pistons) or just have mine lightened, balanced and re-ground. new shells and bearings fitted. the M47 crank will need the end milled by i beleive 0.6mm. but it will give a 8mm longer stroke (giggle) and with the right pistons a larger diaslacement.

Clutch to be replaced and fly wheel to be lightened and balanced.

Intake:

E36 M3 throtle bodies, Plenum, Injectors etc going in. already ordered and picking up from the delivery company depot. the plenum will need modifying for obvious reasons, which i am seeing someone about, hopefully today. the Throttle bodies should just bold on, only time will tell.

Exhaust:

i need to see if the existing manifold will be man enough and that will decide what i do with the exhaust, but it will be less restrictive.

ECU:

i'm going to get the stock ECU reprogramed, on a rolling road and we will see if i need a fueling piggy back or not. there is a little confusion on how much the stock ECU can cope with, but this is a little way off.

all in all i hope to spend around £1000, i know i wont get all the above done for that. but i'm going to see how close i can get and. i am unsure about increasing the displacement at the mo for 2 reasons, 1 cost, its quite expensive to do, and gainss. i'm not sure the gain for the money is worth it

so this is my little project.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Project: make it better

Post by Brian H »

Subscribed :), nice description of works, particularly the FAQ section, made me laugh.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Count me in too...details details details...this could start an avalanche... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

.........>
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Very interested in this one – my sort of modifications – sensible budget - not too extreme but a general renovation with subtle modernisation, updates and improvements. :)
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

Right on to my purchases.

My first purchase is not a standard thing to buy when modifying a car so i'll just let you see the picture

Yep thats a 1995 Pugeot 405 estate GLX 1.9 Diesel. as my Z3 is my daily driver, i need to get around, and this was cheap enough

Then there is the M3 intake, throttle bodies etc.

Plenum

as you can see it has 6 ports, and my engine is a 4 banger. so it's going to a bloke who is going to look at it to cut of port 1 and 6 and weld up the ends.

throttle bodies, injectors and fuel rails

as they were wrapped up, i didnt want to up wrap them, so i only upwrapped one pair

[imghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s3uLTb2sHuk/UfGdaDgROeI/AAAAAAAACaE/Q-AD4IdxY0I/w1153-h865-no/20130725_210342.jpg[/img]

and one last purchase

hopefully will be removing the engine soon