Steering column joint

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Steering column joint

Post by Alan W »

When under my car the other day I was looking for any obvious issues when I came accross something I'm unsure of.

At the bottom end of the steering column there is a coupling / universal joint which coneects the column to the steering rack shaft.

Whilst there was no counter rotating play or movement there is some up and down play in the coupling ie. if I hold the bottom of the column and move it up and down (12 o'clock/six o'clock - sky to ground) the shaft will move and it is visually clear that the play is in the coupling.

Is this normal?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Steering column joint

Post by Southernboy »

There are 2 steering column bearings..the upper which is plastic # 32311158835
and a lower bearing of steel # 32311158686
You need to check these are not worn / damaged etc...I don't think the column should move around in any direction except circular when turning the S/wheel...
Check out the set-up / position on realoem... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I think Alan is talking about the lower steering shaft, not the column. There is a rubber joint within the lower shaft that has some compliance to it. Maybe its that that is moving. Are the upper and lower joints fastened tight onto the shaft? I cant imagine what part of the shaft is moving. With a single flex joint within a shaft connected to fixed elemets at each end (column and rack) nominally there should be no movement.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

He specifically says there is vertical movement in the coupling...so I must assume he is referring to the column..??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions