Wheel badges

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wheel badges

Post by Alan W »

My Zed has type 64 wheels fitted (follow link to see style)

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/

The centre wheel cover is plastic and the badges, which look like they are metallic stickers, are corroding.

Does anyone know where I can get new badges from, preferably identical ones to replace those there?

Thank you

Alan
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Wheel badges

Post by wonderloaf »

I bought some aftermarket ones off of ebay, total rubbish the plastic base didn't fit properly so had to transfer the central painted metal badge section to the old bases. The painted metal part then started corroding after a couple of months, so my advice is to get the OEM parts, hopefully they should last longer!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Get original bmw ones, they are the best

The 'BEAST' 666
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I have the same wheels as you and had the same problem just prior to having the wheels refurbed. In the end I had the centre caps repainted as part of the refurb and got new stickers from BMW. Looking at the invoice the Stickers were £14 + vat for 4 which seems steep but when compared to new centre caps for those wheels at, IIRC, around £80+ per wheel £14 wasn't too bad.

HTH.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I have the same wheels as you and had the same problem just prior to having the wheels refurbed. In the end I had the centre caps repainted as part of the refurb and got new stickers from BMW. Looking at the invoice the Stickers were £14 + vat for 4 which seems steep but when compared to new centre caps for those wheels at, IIRC, around £80+ per wheel £14 wasn't too bad.
Hi Dave, you don't happen to have the part number do you?

Also, did you find it easy enough to get the old stickers off or is sticking the new ones straight on top of the old ones an option?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

When I had my wheels repainted a couple of years ago, I bought the latest type of centre caps - with bonnet badge-type logos - for £2.50 each, from a BMW dealer.

Many of the things sold on Ebay do not fit properly, and can be more trouble than they are worth.
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Tue 06 Aug, 2013 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Go to your local bmw.. They do the 'newer' style caps for around £35 a set
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

ebay - horrible tat !!! - I have type 35 but bought mine from dealer - they weren't £80 though :shock: I wouldn't have paid that - I can get you part number from mine if they're going to be same size but not until tonight, not fitted mine yet - wheels going for refurb in 2 weeks time.
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

To be honest copies might be better than the originals, BMWs centre caps are very poor quality, I've always ended up replacing them after a short while, just replaced one on the Z4 after 12 months from new. Water tends to get behind the laminate film and corrode the the silver rim. It was the same on the previous 1 Series :evil:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

+1 for eBay centre caps being crap quality and ill-fitting. The actual badges were OK it was just the plastic surrounds that didn't fit at all, ended up transplanting the new badges into the old plastic surrounds.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

TitanTim wrote:To be honest copies might be better than the originals, BMWs centre caps are very poor quality, I've always ended up replacing them after a short while, just replaced one on the Z4 after 12 months from new. Water tends to get behind the laminate film and corrode the the silver rim. It was the same on the previous 1 Series :evil:

Tim.
Not sure if you've ever bought any from Ebay Tim, I am assuming you haven't because knowing how particular you are you would have done the same as me - opened the bag, took one look and threw them in the bin. The ones on Zippy are 14 years old which is pretty good going - maybe the newer model car ones just weren't as good quality in the 1st place?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

XVar wrote:+1 for eBay centre caps being crap quality and ill-fitting. The actual badges were OK it was just the plastic surrounds that didn't fit at all, ended up transplanting the new badges into the old plastic surrounds.
+2 badges are ok but the plastic surrounds are useless. Cheap way of getting new badges though if you old surrounds are ok and you can transfer the badges themselves. Some sell just the sticker part so it maybe worth getting these and using the old surrounds.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

snoops wrote:
TitanTim wrote:To be honest copies might be better than the originals, BMWs centre caps are very poor quality, I've always ended up replacing them after a short while, just replaced one on the Z4 after 12 months from new. Water tends to get behind the laminate film and corrode the the silver rim. It was the same on the previous 1 Series :evil:

Tim.
Not sure if you've ever bought any from Ebay Tim, I am assuming you haven't because knowing how particular you are you would have done the same as me - opened the bag, took one look and threw them in the bin. The ones on Zippy are 14 years old which is pretty good going - maybe the newer model car ones just weren't as good quality in the 1st place?
I don't think the newer chrome ringed caps are as robust as the earlier type which was a rubberised type plastic, the latter type the chrome tarnishes and goes white, weekly washing probably to blame :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

The reason why the centre caps on the Style 64 wheels are so expensive is that they are not he normal 2" caps. These are about 6" in diameter and hide the wheel bolts. In addition to the stickers in the middle wearing they also chip around the slot for levering them off the wheel. If you take a look at the picture the OP linked to you'll notice the join line for the centre caps around the outside of the ring of small alen bolts giving an idea of how big these caps are. Mine no longer have the black alen bolts, they are grey all over, although I keep thinking about picking them out with black and small paint brush.

Alan_w, sorry I can't help you with either part numbers or advice on fitting as the wheel refurb guy got the stickers from BMW for me and fitted them as part of the refurb. Personally I wouldn't fit them over the old ones, if yours have degraded anything like mine did the damaged texture on the old ones would probably show through the new ones.

You must be able to get them from a local dealer, even if you just get one dealer to give the part numbers so you can shop around.

Let us know how you get on.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mid life crisis »

I've got the same wheels fitted to mine & did look at replacing the centre caps, but never got round to doing anything,
I however did get the part numbers from one of the web sites
Hub Cap 36131094877
Plaque 36131181080
Hope this helps
Regards Gary
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuine-W ... 2c71650eae

Or

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/option/centre_caps_bmw

The 1st link is for BMW Direct so if you're a member you should be able to use your discount on there I believe.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Thanks for those links snoops, going to order 4 shiny new ones from ebay!