Rear Camber Adjustment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Rear Camber Adjustment

Post by Brian H »

I understand this has been discussed on here before, I have read the threads to the point where members have opted for camber correction but cannot seem to find any comments relating to the their findings after they have had the correction carried out, so........

I am looking for some advise on the following kits and hopefully someone who has used either of, or both of the kits could maybe let me know there views?

As standard there is no rear camber adjustment on the Z, below are 2 kits which seem to offer a solution to this problem.

Solution 1 - Eccentric Trailing Arm Bushes

Solution 2 - Eccentric Trailing Arm Fixing Bolts

Both solution offer camber correction, any ideas which one is better? Reasons for your suggestion please.

There is a vast difference in the solutions in terms of cost and fitting them to your car. Solution 1 being a whole lot easier/cheaper than solution 2.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Rear Camber Adjustment

Post by Gazza »

I'm almost certain Siwilson has used the Ireland Eng. kit
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I think plenty have fitted solution 2 which works. I would be concerned how adjustment would be affected using solution 1. Looks a nightmare to change it once fitted and how also how can you be sure it will never move off adjustment?

With any kit there is a fair amount of lateral shift in the wheel so beware if you are running wide wheels, or are lowered and close to rubbing on the arch. On my car the rears are far too wide to try this mod.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Thanks for the replies.
Deano1712 wrote:.....I would be concerned how adjustment would be affected using solution 1. Looks a nightmare to change it once fitted and how also how can you be sure it will never move off adjustment?
My understanding of the adjustment is that you turn the bolt which is keyed to the centre shaft of the bush, I had not though of movement after adjustment, good point.
Deano1712 wrote:......With any kit there is a fair amount of lateral shift in the wheel so beware if you are running wide wheels, or are lowered and close to rubbing on the arch. On my car the rears are far too wide to try this mod.
I am running Stock 17s so hopefully this will not be an issue.

Is there such a thing as ideal camber settings to aim for or is it a case of experimentation?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I do have the Ireland system on a spare subframe that I never seem to have the time to fit. Looks the part, but I cannot comment on what it's like to live with yet. General consensus was that even though it's harder to fit and a one-way mod, this was the best route to take. However, I recently saw someone on the US boards post about them coming loose.

How bad is your alignment? On standard suspension you should not need any adjustment and if its that far out I think something else is probably bent. Maybe a trailing arm?
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Rear Camber Adjustment

Post by Brian H »

Hi Si,

I am thinking of the adjustment to stop the advanced wear on the inner of the rears, I have recently changed the tyres on the car and cannot help think that with camber correction the rears would be good for a few thousand miles more.

A spare subframe sounds like a good idea.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Brian H wrote:Hi Si,

I am thinking of the adjustment to stop the advanced wear on the inner of the rears, I have recently changed the tyres on the car and cannot help think that with camber correction the rears would be good for a few thousand miles more.

A spare subframe sounds like a good idea.
If you're worried about inner wear then using different thickness spring pads can help and is a simple non-invasive adjustment. I can't recall if your car is lowered at all, but if not a certain amount of sag will come over the years as the rubber spring pads wear and the springs get a little tired. All this contributes to lowering of the rear ride height and with it the increase in negative camber that can cause inner tyre wear.

First stop would be to get an alignment check. Where I go a 4 wheel alignment check without adjustment is quite reasonable price.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Thanks for your input Si, I am using eibach springs all round with rough road spring pads, it works out approx 5 mm lower than stock M-Sport suspension.

I will have a look around to see if I can find a garage with laser alignment and get a base reading to work from.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

hi,Brian, just a quick question, when you say you are using the rough road spring pads, are they the 10mm thick ones? I have browsed realoem trying to find anything thicker ( usa, lhd etc) and they are the thickest I can find, cheers pete
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

You can always stack up two thinner pads to make a thinker one.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

pedro20001 wrote:hi,Brian, just a quick question, when you say you are using the rough road spring pads, are they the 10mm thick ones? I have browsed realoem trying to find anything thicker ( usa, lhd etc) and they are the thickest I can find, cheers pete
I'll dig out the part number for you later on.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Rear spring pad 14.5mm, part number 33 53 1 094 754

HTH
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Cheers mate. Will order a pair!