Grills and steering wheel.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Grills and steering wheel.

Post by martyb »

Hey fowks, quick question to anyone who's replaced the front kidney grills on their zed.

I fancy a change to all black.

My question is, is it relatively easy to replace/remove the originals? Or am i likely to snap the oem set.

I have noticed a few sets on ebay however the back clips appeared different yet both being labelled as fitting a z3.

ohh and one more thing... I badly need a new steering wheel. Im looking for one with possibly some alacantara parts. Is there any retailers that make them for the z3?
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Grills and steering wheel.

Post by ('_')Z3 »

martyb wrote:Hey fowks, quick question to anyone who's replaced the front kidney grills on their zed.

I fancy a change to all black.

My question is, is it relatively easy to replace/remove the originals? Or am i likely to snap the oem set.

I have noticed a few sets on ebay however the back clips appeared different yet both being labelled as fitting a z3.

ohh and one more thing... I badly need a new steering wheel. Im looking for one with possibly some alacantara parts. Is there any retailers that make them for the z3?

Plenty of people on here have had their wheel covered by royalsteeringwheels on an exchange basis and have been very pleased. If you search on here you will find some threads with pics. About £120-135 depending on what you want, thickening, alcantara etc.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ng#p350068
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The grills are easy to remove but you need some care to do it properly or you will snap the clips.

They are even easier to fit.

I've tried about 6 different types in the past and they all seem exactly the same but just different finishes.

The recovering linked to above is fine if you want thicker and a new finish but you really need a new wheel if you want the real benefit of a smaller diameter. Options are limited and it will cost you more than just refurbing.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Thanks guys for both responses.

Jonttt is there any part in particular when removing i should take extra care with? Iv ordered a set from ebay so should be here sometime next week.

and ('_')Z3

This is a very attractive prospect iv emailed the company looking for pretty much the exact same wheel but with alcantara around the outside. Was that the same wheel with alot of modification if you know?

Looks soo different.

Thanks soo far guys anyone else with any helpful comments please mail me.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Yep the same wheel. You can either exchange your wheel or they can send you a wheel at your cost to use whilst yours is being done. I believe they thicken it slightly, but agreed they look much improved. I had my centre console covered in genuine alcantara, and the tabs of my old wheel before I chose to go the Raid route, all I would say is I wouldn't fancy dirty or greasy mits on alcantara day to day

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=34180

There is a pic about a third of the way down page 1 on the console
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

The picture below should help with the front grills

I had my steering wheel recovered using the same guy as linked above, I had the wheel made slightly thicker at the same time. I chose a full Alcantara finish.

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Brian that's an excellent pic. Very helpful thanks.

I take it that a flathead screwdriver pushed into the clips releases them from the bonnet?

I really like the alcantara on the wheel. How does the quality feel and how does it respond to the damp? If you were going to get it done again would you go for leather?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

martyb wrote:Brian that's an excellent pic. Very helpful thanks.

I take it that a flathead screwdriver pushed into the clips releases them from the bonnet?

I really like the alcantara on the wheel. How does the quality feel and how does it respond to the damp? If you were going to get it done again would you go for leather?
You maybe do not even need a screwdriver, try with your hands first, I cannot remember but i do not think they are too hard to remove.

I have had my steering wheel now for approx. 18 months, the quality is really good, not had any issues with damp. Would I go for leather if I had it done again? I do not think I would. I am really happy with the way it is just now, it is not everyones cup of tea but I like it :)
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Spot on Brian I'll give it a go soon as the grill arrives.

I want to see how it would look with the blacked lights grills and looking into getting some csl replica wheels in gloss black.

I think with the darker Montreal blue it could look quite "stealth"

Just out of curiosity do you pull the clips back or push in? I'm on 12 hour shifts so not getting bear the car right now.