LED replacement indicators

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

LED replacement indicators

Post by markhinton »

Has anybody ever fitted any LED indicators to their Z3, or any other car for that matter? I understand I might experience an irregular flash rate from original halogen bulbs, and the best way of rectifying this would be to change the relay or input resistors, correct?

Any help on the situation would be greatly appreciated, particularly past experience/links to suitable products!

:-)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: LED replacement indicators

Post by Robert T »

I actually have LED indicators on my Sprite - they were setup as dual filament bulbs with the sidelights and it wasn't terribly clear when I was indicating if the sidelights were also on, just a brighter flash - so I fitted colour-changing LED bulbs which are white for sidelights and yellow for indicators. The flasher unit is a very old-fashioned bi-metal strip type and the LEDs didn't place anything like enough load to work correctly, so I fitted load resistors in series with the bulbs. Whilst fiddling with this, my first try was to fit an electronic flasher unit, but this also did not flash at the correct rate, so would have needed load resistors as well - in the end I ditched it as it would also have required a wiring modification to make the dashboard telltale work. I did learn that there are two types of electronic flasher - ones with a constant rate regardless of load and ones with a rate that depends on load - the latter type require load resistors. Some flasher units also directly support hazard lights. I afraid I can't tell you what type the flasher is in the Z3 or if you'll need load resistors with it. Do also be aware that you might be opening yourself to future MOT failures if you don't fit E-marked bulbs.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Some LED's do require resistors...but if you shop for the type that are corrected for this issue then it's a very simple change-over...the fitting to match the OEM sockets are the same...I have the entire row of lights in the 3rd boot top light in LED's..they are brighter, and there is no "lag" when you touch the brakes..they are instantly on and as abruptly off...indicator LED's are the same..they really "flash" without the lagged glow of the incandescent OEM bulbs...Rear indicators, tail lights and reverse lights can also be fitted with LED's...as well as the side repeaters and front side lights on the bumpers...another advanage is the reduced loading on the power supply, reduced resistances in the wiring loom circuits etc.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The load resistors are there so that the LEDs draw the same current as the bulbs they replace to keep the flash rate constant on flasher units not designed for driving LEDs. You should not need load resistors for brakelights, sidelights etc and these will consequently draw less power.

LEDs are not usually 12V, and normally have to be fitted with a resistor to drop the voltage to 3V or so. LED car bulbs should already have these incorporated into the bulb design. If you make your own you might need to think about this, depending upon what LEDs you buy.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by markhinton »

Thanks for the replies chaps :-)
Southernboy wrote:indicator LED's are the same..they really "flash" without the lagged glow of the incandescent OEM bulbs...Rear indicators, tail lights and reverse lights can also be fitted with LED's...as well as the side repeaters and front side lights on the bumpers...another advanage is the reduced loading on the power supply, reduced resistances in the wiring loom circuits etc.
I'm assuming you replaced all front, side and rear indicators at once? Could you direct me to where these corrected bulbs are for sale. They're not canbus are they? I assume they're only to stop error codes and not to maintain the right rate of flash.

Mark
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep...eBay is a good place...and CANBUS is the type you want...they don't require any resistors....and yes, all my lights LED's. The only exceptions are the headlights which are Diamond Vision Phillips bulbs..and the fogs which are 110 watt retina scorchers..just for those people that feel dipping their mainbeams isn't necessary... :twisted:
I have the aftermarket projector lens headlights which make a huge difference to the forward lighting from the headlights..especially the lowbeam lights...All the rear end lights are LED including the reverse lights...my interior lights are also LED's...I have fitted footwell lights, using the fittings from an e36 sunvisor...they take a neat little LED which is shaped with the two pointed ends to fit between the holed metal plates inside, but pump huge light compared to the standard incandescant type bulbs. These things cost a tad more, but the are rated at around 60+ thousand hours of life....I doubt I'll live long enough to have to replace any... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

In this instance, I think the term Canbus is a bit of a misnomer, as it implies some kind of intelligent bus system, which the Z3 doesn't have! All the bulbs in the Z3 are on separate relays and fuses with no monitoring built in. It may just be that the LEDs used in Canbus systems are the type that have integrated voltage drop resistors so that they can be run at 12V and minimal current (resulting in thinner easier to thread wiring).

The most comprehensive site I know of for bulbs is Autobulbs Direct whom I have ordered from a number of times and always had satisfactory service. They are UK based, so if it says a bulb is Road Legal, than you should have no trouble with using them in the UK. It is worth reading through the details on some of the bulbs, and they go some way to explaining Canbus suitability here: http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-LE ... right.html

The courtesy lights that Southernboy describes are known as Festoons. They should last better than filament bulbs but they do not last forever - I bought some of these to put in our intercom system and they only lasted about 12 months - but they were on 24 hours a day - so something like 10,000 hours - newer bulbs may be better - but in a car they are not going to be used anything like that much.

Cheers R.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

+1 for Autobulbsdirect.co.uk - very good service and products.